breastfeeding **Update HSV-1 Virus **

Tracey M

Reaction score
Help I'm just soo upset I keep crying. Dunno if its hormones or what. My wee boy is a week old today and he has now lost 10% weight. Midwife helping but I feel like a failure and I'm so worried I'm making Adam weak. Basically he sleeps constantly and falls asleep on breast. I was advised today to express milk and top up feed with syringe. I did this and after an hour he puked the whole lot up. I've tried to express again now and got nothing. So if I cant get it out how is baby supposed to get milk out? Last friday I was engorged and milk was pouring out me cos he was not feeding. Now my breasts are too soft. I dont know why im typing this cos I know im doing all I can I just feel a failure to my wee boy. My older son I hreastfed for 14 months and now im just crap. Im so worried its something wrong cos im doing everything right...

Last edited:
as u said hun, ur doing everything u can and doing it right it will definitely come good in the end! if u really want to breastfeed ur son just persevere, give urself a break if hes not distressed u shudnt be either!

massive hugs for you!

im sure some of the BFing experts will be along to give you some better advice than i can give but just be proud of urself ur already doing soooo well!! xxxx

:hug: I think the best thing you could do is find out if there are any bf support groups near you this week, also the 'la leche league' are worth a call as I think they have local mummies as bf support people who can come and give you one to one advice. You also should still be under the care of the mw so give her/them a call and get them to come and help you too. There is loads of support (in person) out there and I think it could really help you continue bf.

Hey love, just to second what Frankie said really - aak the midwife about a local BF support group.

It's normal for babies to lose weight so don't worry too much about that.

Are you demand feeding?

If he is falling asleep at the breast, try stripping him off. Also you're worried about your supply so ban all visitors for a couple days and just have a 48hr duvet day! Loads of skin to skin, cuddles, feed often and watch films, get food brought to you etc. Not only will this be the best bonding experience ever (that you'll look back on fondly in years to come) I promise this wil help with supply but also really relax you too.

You mention about him being sick. Mine was like this and I was so worried. I kept a food diary to see if it was anything I was eating. I figured out that when i ate cheese his nappies were really green so i cut down on dairy thinking it would help and although it helped the nappies,it didnt help or stop the sickness. Then on a visit from the midwife, she saw where i was going wrong - I wasn't winding him properly or for long enough. I'd literally do it for a couple of minutes. So she taught us the 'colic hold' (YouTube it) and we both then got stuck in with the mammoth winding sessions and his sickness stopped.

If you need any advice, any time just PM me love. I've done the La Leche league breastfeeding course and work as a volunteer support worker.

Ps - well done on the breastfeeding. You rock! Xxx

Thanks girls! My midwife coming every day still and breastfeeding support came to house on friday. Love the bonding idea will give that a try. He's on breast now but nodding off....just after me waking him after 5 hour solid sleep! Just going to interrupt him with a nappy fhange. I do strip him when feeding, play with his feet and hands, stroke down his back, wet cloth on head - all to keep him alert. Its likestuck in a circle. Needs to take in milk to have energy to feed but not getting the feed cos no energy! Also think I need help with winding so i'll ask today. All your advice appreciated. Make sure i'm eating and drinking well too.I'm a woman on a mission.oh I do hope he gains something today or he has to go back to neo natal at hospital....

G was always falling asleep when he was very little and feeding - I had to get DH or my mum (when I was with them) to sit and tickle his feet to keep him awake - it was very frustrating. He grew out of it though and by 4 weeks or so he was much much better at staying awake for feeding.

Everytime I fed Paige I pretty much had to strip her down to a nappy to get her to stay awake longer than 5 minutes! As said above, just spend some time inside and do lots of skin to skin and tickle his feed and blow on his face when hes falling asleep very quickly. :hug: Youre doing amazingly.

Well now at neo natal unit at hospital. keeping us in for minimum 24 hours help.....hope it works he may need tube fed

aww hope ur ok hun, am sure its tough, ur doing ur best, this is hard but it will get better soon xxx

Hope your LO is ok hun.

My son was 8lb 10oz at birth and dropped to 7lb 15oz in a week :shock: I was breastfeeding,but he was tongue tied and couldn't latch on properly. I was going to give up, it was a very emotional time, esp after having a very hard pregnancy then traumatic labour too, but with the help of one of the woman from our local BFing group me and Oscar worked it out and are still BFing now.

I really hope the hospital can help you. In our hospital they had a midwife that was also a BFing counsellor, if you don't have that get in touch with them anyways they are fantastic and should come to you.

Good luck to you and your LO xxxx

cant really offer anymore advice tha nwhat the ladies have already offered which is truly great advice!! Hope you're ok hun! stay strong ..... :) and sending massive hugs x

Thanks everyone. Had a very difficult night tried breastfeeding, expressing little extra.. Sippy cup, even bottle formula. Maybe something else wrong? Waiting on doctor to check weight etc again. Trying to stay positive but its hard on 3 hours sleep

i hope your LO gained some weight overnight. it must be so hard for both of you :hug:

has he got a tongue tie? get the docs to check as that can hinder their feeding...just a thought not sure if youve checked it though x

Hes away now getting tube fed, iv antibiotics and a lumber puncture. He had bloods done found infection and has odd spots. Awaiting results. Im really not coping on my own wish my hubby would get here soon.

oh dear God, the poor wee little baby.i am glad he is treated. hopefully he will feel better soon. i can only imagine how scared you are now. i hope your oh comes soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back