Breastfeeding struggle

MissThing

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have had problems with breastfeeding righr from the beginning. Was going to breasfeed all the time during pregnancy. Started, after a few days had to go to hospital with Daniel, cos he lost loads of weight, started expressing, then got enought of it, stopped, started just on formula. After a few days started to breasfeed again plus formula. Was ok for a couple of weeks, milk supply increased, everything was ok. Breastfed during the day, and gave 2 bottles of formula as well.
But, about 2 weeks ago Daniel started to act starnge as soon as I got him on the boob. Started to scream his head off, didnt want to latch on, went of breastfeeeding totally :( I started express again, but I cant express more then 2oz :( , so, he went more on formula. I did try. Every time I tryied to put him to breast, but it was the same story every single time. As soon as he saw my boob near his face-screaming. Its ok to tkeep trying during the day, but at 1am, 4am and 7am it gets to you really hard, so I ended up giving him bottle each time :(
I am still trying to breasfeed him, sometimes succesful, sometimes not. And i am still expressing.
I dont think there is any advice. Just wanted to get it out of my heart, cos it hurts :cry:
I just hope, what he gets from me anyways, even if it is a little amount, gets him some good. And I am going to breastfeed and give him EBM for as long as I have a single drop in there!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

hi hun, we had a similar problem with tim, where he just wasn't interested... I have to express his post-bath feed and give it in a bottle... Not a perfect solution, but it means i get a break... I usually manage about 4oz (in total... 2oz per boob), but it took some practice and a good pump!!

:cheer: Well done you for keeping going and being so determined!!! :cheer:

It is easier for him to get milk out of a bottle so it sounds like he is refusing the breast as he has to work harder. If you want to get back to exclusively breastfeeding the only thing I can suggest is perhaps bedding down with baby, go to bed for a day and just offer the breast constantly, and cut down on the bottles, though I honestly know that is easier said then done, I mixed fed and it took me ages to get back to exclusively breastfeeding. And keep with the expressing as it will getyour milk supply up.

No matter what though hun you have done so well, the early days are so tough and you sound like you have had it tougher then most so be proud of yourself. I know how heartbreaking it is, and there is nothing I can say that will make you feel better but I do take my hat of to you. :hug:

Just wanted to say well done for perservering and send you a :hug: Daniel is a lucky boy! We went through a stage (mercifully short) when she was so tired after her bath she wouldn't feed and screamed when I tried and I was so upset - I felt that she was personally rejecting me and my milk, and it was a hard thing to deal with.

The only suggestion I would make is have you tried different teats for the bottle feeds? I saw some the other day which were like a double teat (one inside the other) and the baby had to suck in the same way as breastfeeding to get anything out - it might retrain him if he has got lazy. Also, do you have any local b/fing support groups - mine was a godsend.
Charlotte has ebm in a bottle for her dream feed, and when I'm at work but I have kept her on newborn teats so it doesn't come too easy for her.
If you can I would go with the suggestion of a day in bed with Daniel and a big box of chocs!

Andreag: I have no idea about local bf support groups :oops: I am thinking about getting those bottles, I saw an advert in baby magazine. They are supposed to appear in mothercare in January :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back