Breastfeeding question

beanie

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Seren is 6 weeks next tuesday, she is still fed on demand. When do they start getting into a feeding routine of sorts, do they take longer between feeds etc. Just wondering when this feeding lark gets a bit easier...or does it never get easier?? Have read the Gina Ford book (I knopw I am a sucker for punishment and it has made me feel worse so have put it away on orders of OH) and she says that you can get breast fed babies in a routine as young as 2 weeks but Seren won't go 3 hours between a feed. Am I just expecting too much too soon???

I wondered this too, Rubie refuses to have a routine, she is bottle and breast fed.

Ella is going 3 hourly max at the moment and is taking both breast for at least 45 mins (apart from in the middle of the night when she'll take one breast for about 15-20 mins). She was going longer but seems to be having a growth spurt or something at the moment.

I'm feeding Brody on demand, as I did with Mason.
Brody has no routine as such, I have never, ever timed his feeds so I don't know how long he takes between.

All I know is it DOES settle into more of a pattern on it's own, I know Mason did. As they get bigger they should settle into a pattern of feeding and eating that's quite fixed.

When?? :( :? :shock: Please say it's soon I can't keep up with her, she seems to have reverted back to a newborn and is taking 2 oz every 2 hours today!!

Feeding Oscar also on demand. I just plug him in when he wants. Some days his routine is incredibly alike to that of Gina Ford, and other days he eats me out of house and home!!!
I don't mind so much.

It sounds like Seren is just a sucky baby. Has she got a dummy? It could well be a brilliant investment!
Good luck (all this will be over in 18 years!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: )
Emilia xx

Kim said:
When?? :( :? :shock: Please say it's soon I can't keep up with her, she seems to have reverted back to a newborn and is taking 2 oz every 2 hours today!!

Awww I wish I could tell you hun, I'm expecting Brody to settle into it in the next 3-4 weeks, maybe sooner. Yours might settle tomorrow or not for ages, I wish I could give you more idea but I'd just be guessing!

I was told that a dummy may help but also to offer cooled boiled water between feeds or very diluted juice.

Jack feeds roughly every 4 hours, he is breast and formula fed, sometimes it is more frequent though and although I try to keep it to 4 hours I will feed if he really wants it (on demand).

I found Jack took water or juice better if it was slightly warmed like milk! :D

Hi, Ewan has been breast fed on demand since birht - the first few weeks were hard and he was feeding nearly every hour. but he did settle down but he rarely went more than two hours between feeds some times 2 1/2 if i was lucky. i read the books and they said i should be feeding every 4 hours now when he was 3 months - if i had tried that Ewan would have been screaming blue murder by then!! so ihave continued feeding on demand - he is now approaching 6 months and i started weaning at 4 months and he is now going 3 -4 hours between a feed. (sorry to put you off) just go with the flow or try supplementing with formula to but always express of what you usually should have fed or your boobs will get confused and slow production!

Do take too much notice of books - (gina ford has never had kids)
and no baby has read it either so they don't know how often they 'should' be feeding

emilia said:
It sounds like Seren is just a sucky baby. Has she got a dummy? It could well be a brilliant investment!
Good luck (all this will be over in 18 years!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: )
Emilia xx

Aaarrrggghhh....though I definately won't be feeding her from the boobie at this age (sorry back to the extreme breastfeeding :shock: ). We have got her a dummy but she is a tad temperemental with them. Sometimes she will take it for a while other times its like we are trying to stick something horrible in her mouth. It is worse when I try to give it to her, I guess she knows that I have boobs. Might start readig Gina Ford to her so she knows what is expected of her :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back