Breastfeeding question.

MariaIsabella

Reaction score
Will you buy some backup formula before due date just in case you cant breastfeed?

xx

I'm not bothering - obviously, first time for me, but I want to have a damn good go at bfing and persist until I get it right! I think if I have formula there and stuff, it'll be too easy for me to give up if things aren't going well and in a sleep-deprived daze of hormones. Besides, there's plenty places open 24 hours which would sell stuff I could send partner to if it came to that :)
Everyone's different though - that's just my personal plan!

I'm not planning on buying formula either.

Hopefully it'll work plus I've heard the midwives at the hospital are really good with helping getting baby to latch etc and providing support.
xx

I'm still undecided if I want to try and breastfeed & still not even sure if I can because of surgery so I've had to get everything in just incase. Like yorkslass said it would be easier for you to give in if you had it in the house, all depends on what your stance on it is. X

I bought a starters kit with the pre sterilsed teats as a back up.

Im a month into bfing and only used 1 of those little 2oz bottles on night 2. He only drank 30mls of it.

But its not made me want to stop or give up. I even have an opened prep machine, bottles etc as i just assumed id not get on with bfing as i got mastitis day 5 and infected nipples with my first baby.

This time its worked great, did catch mastitis week 2, but managed to feed though it.

I dnt think having formula in ready is anything bad. Just dnt buy loads cos if u dnt use it its a waste! Xx

No we aren't. Early breastfeeding can be really hard and having formula in the house makes it all the harder to stick with it. It's worth pushing through though.

Thanks everyone, I think I will go with the majority and not get anything before since you can always get it from any supermarket if needed. I hope it works out!! xx

If you intend on bf don't take formula. If for some reason you can't bf they will give you formula and then someone can get you some. I used there formula for 2 days as im bf but my little.one needs top ups as she is jaundice x

I got a bottle of ready made last time, because I was in tears one night when my son wouldn't latch. I ended up giving him a little bit of formula, to stop him being really hungry, and then he latched on fine. I ended up bf for 13 months, but the 1st few weeks were tough. I'm going to do the same again this time, but I'm hoping this one has no trouble latching.

I didn't bother. I think the figure is something like only 4% of women can't breastfeed so I just had in my head is be able to

I never bought it with my other two. It turned out they both had a cows milk allergy so glad I never tried top ups.

First time around I didn't get any formula in advance. My little girl had jaundice and had to go on the sunbed things one night in hospital before my milk came in. Because she got really thirsty they gave her a tiny amount of formula that night (which they had at the hospital) but other than that I didn't buy any formula til I started weaning at 6months. Won't bother getting formula this time either - worst comes to worst if there's an issue with you feeding you can get some when you know you need it. Xxx

No need to buy formula in advance. It's not like you try the first feeding and when that doesn't work you immediately have to give your baby formula. If it really doesn't work you have enough time to go and buy it. :)

I agree, breastfeeding can be really tough in those first few weeks and it may be too tempting to give it up for formula if it's to hand. Have a positive mindset that you can do it and make sure you ask for support until you have it right. It is the most rewarding thing ever and so much easier than faffing with bottles once you have it cracked. Good luck x

Another no here too.

I never did with my older two either, eldest first had formula at around 10 weeks, didn't have any before then. Second never had formula.
I'd rather use donor BM if I had any issues this time.

I didn't buy any with my daughter and I won't be this time. My sister in law has given me 10 tommee tippee bottles and I have bought 4 new variflow teats because I know I will have to express because I want to go back to work one day a week at about 8 weeks post partum, but I won't use formula unless I absolutely have to.

I combination fed my daughter at about 6 months old until she was 1 - mainly because I couldn't be bothered to express any more lol, so I won't mind doing that again.

BF'ing is hard work for the first couple of weeks I will admit but if you get through it it gets easier and better xx

Thanks! Have heard it can be hard work but i am determined to make it work!! :) xx

I promise you it is the most easiest, convenient thing to do ever - I loved it so much and I think that if you can make it past the first week you can make it as long as you like. It is incredible, its free and its best for the baby, just remember it isn't difficult forever xxx

I agree. It's so worth the effort in the long run. They only feed like maniacs in the first 6 weeks or so ;) after that it suddenly gets a lot easier and spaces out, becomes second nature, and is then so much easier and less time consuming than having to deal with bottles and make up feeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back