Breastfeeding question...

Nic36

Reaction score
Hi all,
Am hoping to go shopping today, but don't really know what I need to buy for essential feeding. I am hoping to breastfeed, but will also express so hubby can help out with night feeds (that's the plan anyway!). So far I have bought a manual pump and some breast pads. I'm not sure how many bottles I will need? I'll need a steriliser I think. What about bottle warmer? Any advice gratefully received!! Thanks! :)

I dunno! I've brought everything so I can choose when he's here. Just get a couple of bottles and send OH out for some if you need them? Tesco sell bottles

I don't think you'll need a bottle warmer, I used to put mine in a bowl of hot water, does the same and free! I would get some of those handy pouches for freezing the milk until its ready to be used. I would also get a silicone nipple shield, that got me through the cracked nipple stage! x

You'll definitely need the breastpads (after a couple of days when your milk comes in you'll probably need quite a few until your milk supply calms down a bit :)) A couple of newborn bottles and a microwave steriliser sounds like a good plan. Other than that I would really recommend that you get some Lasinoh lanolin cream as your nipples will get sore for the first couple of weeks and the chances are that you will really need it (it keeps skin moist and helps it heal much quicker so really lather it on at every opportunity and after every feed). It will pass though and become much easier so try not to get too stressed about it!

Also I just thought I should mention that expressing takes time to get going (this is from a mum at our breastfeeding group that exclusively expressed for her LO for 6 months) so even with regular practice you're unlikely to be able to get enough in one go for a feed until a few weeks have passed (BUT just because you can't express it out doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk(!) or that your LO will have trouble lol). So I would be prepared to get up for night feeds until you get the hang of it :).

Last edited:
I've just bought 2 closer to nature bottles and some milton just in case, will use just a plastic tupperware to sterilise in. I won't buy a pump until I want one which will probably be back to work time, OH isn't going to feed I don't see the point. He can change the nappys (like feck he will) and rock him to sleep.

I'm really keen for my oh to do the odd feed, just so he and the baby can bond more, so I will try to start expressing after a week or two, but still keep doing breast feeds as well. Thats the plan anyway!

I havent bought anythign yet either, apart from breast pads and nipple cream. Will look into the steriliser and bottles, I notice the Avent ones (supposedly the best) are on offer on Amazon right now!

yeah i have the avent steriliser and newborn bottles set....

they are a steal on amazon at the min

Hey, I'm planning on breast feeding aswell but just in case I can't I've got 8 9oz bottles (don't see the point in 4oz ones as the 9oz ones have the same measures!) You don't have to buy the same bottle brand as your steriliser I have an advent steriliser and tommee tippee bottle it's just what you prefer xx

Thanks for all the advice ladies... :). Have a bit more of a clue about what I actually need now! :)

Lansinoh cream - you prob only need one tube as a little goes a long way, but an essential to make it breastfeeding, slapl it on, from after first feed (no really) and every after that, even if annoying getting a bit slippy and yourll have no nipple probs, in the end you won't need it, but I think hospitals should give it away free it's that good, the breastfeeding rate would jump through the roof!!

Good luck

I have the tommee tippee closer to nature range. And i wanted to do the same as you and express so oh can help buy I'm still doing all the feeds as my hand pump only gets around 1oz out and that takrs a while. I do remember leaking a lot at 1st and maybe if i expressed then i wouldn't have a problem but i had decided to wait between weekend 4-6 so Issac wouldn't be a lazy baby and take breast as well as bottle. (I wss told they can be lazy and only take the bottle if offered to early as its an easier sucking motion)

Oh and the cream is a godsend! Xx

Yeah if ur. Deffo gonna BF then do it straught away don't off them a bottle until BF is established (about 6 weeks after they're born) SIL offered her LO a bottle straight away and when she tried to BF LO just screamed the place down because she wanted her bottle! Xx

Pumping while Lo is feeding on other side helps get more out as their sucking stimulates let down on both boobs, also expressing while in the bath helps get more milk out. At first u won't get much, I was lucky to get an ounce, then it went to 3oz, now I can get 5oz, my baby is a cluster feeder so I can't express much as he eats it all, so I express once a day during his first feed on a morning as I'm really full, I het 5oz and it stays on the fridge and my hubby gives him it after bath time just before bed, but if hubby is out or I'd rather bf him then I pour it into a freezer bag and freeze for another day, or if I wanna leave him with a baby sitter!!!
Best tip I have is get some medela sterilized breast milk freezer bags and just freeze all the milk you express as u won't have enough at first so stock it up and after a few days u'll have enough frozen for a bottle, as it only lasts 24 hrs in fridge but 3-6months in the freezer, also lanisoh cream, I could not have survived the first month of bf without that stuff, mw also gave me some gello net ask yours for some as it stops ur nipples sticking to the pads when they are sore.
Try to let baby bf for a few weeks before giving a bottle or dummy as they get lazy and don't latch well and its a whole load of agony with an incorrect latch!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back