Breastfeeding mums

Kylie1007

Reaction score
How long does your baby feed for at a time?

Finlay doesn't feed for much more than 10 mins I would say but he is putting on weight well and having plenty of wet nappies so he must be getting enough. It's just a little niggle at the back of my mind.

Lola doesn't feed for long in the daytime 10 mins max but she cluster feeds on a night before bedtime :D

Dylan feeds for anything between 5 & 20 mins at a time, unless he's having a growth spurt where he can stay on for a long time! I think as long as he's putting on weight and having wet/dirty nappies it should be ok. Do you offer him the other breast once he's finished?

weenik said:
Dylan feeds for anything between 5 & 20 mins at a time, unless he's having a growth spurt where he can stay on for a long time! I think as long as he's putting on weight and having wet/dirty nappies it should be ok. Do you offer him the other breast once he's finished?
he's normally asleep by then

Ryan always has both sides and takes about 20 minutes in total.

He will be getting enough if he's falling asleep etc. I worried about Dyl getting enough too because you obviously can't measure how much they're taking when bf. Speak to your HV if you're worrying but Im sure he's getting enough. You're doing great xx

Hey Kylie,

For my DD, it totally depends - sometimes she can be on for 5 mins, this afternoon it was nearly an hour - I think most of that was chomping on me or using me as a teether though as her gums are really bothering her just now.

I'm sure Finlay is doing brilliantly - is he following a centile line in his growth chart? My DD has started to drop centile lines (from 75th to 50th to 25th to now between 25th and 9th) but my HV reminded me that the growth chart in the red book is for formula fed babies and my DD is breastfed exclusively so I printed off the chart for breastfed babies from the World Health Organisation website and she's following a good growth line on that.

WHO growth chart for breastfed babies - GIRLS
WHO growth chart for breastfed babies - BOYS

I think the niggly worry is just part of being a Mum. My DD put on heaps on weight at the beginning and has totally tailed off - when she was putting on loads of weight, I worried. Now its slower, I worry. I worry that I don't play with her enough, I worry that I'm over stimulating her and making a rod for my own back - I worry ALL the time.

Hope that helps

Valentine Xxx

He's just under 50th centile but the weight gain is going up in a nice upwards line! He's 98 centile for height :lol:

Maya feeds for 40 minutes to an hour but the breastfeeding advisor told me that this could be down to me suffering from mastitis, which apparently slowers the milk flow. :( This also explains why my lazy girl falls asleep halfway! :sleep: She gets too tired from sucking so hard!

If Finlay puts on weight and has lots of wet/dirty nappies then I wouldn't worry. It seems he wants to finish eating quickly so that he can spend time playing with his mummy!
:hug:

mids u shouldnt stress that she is over the 90th centile..u should b proud that u are both doing so well with bfing..

ed feeds for 20,30,60 mins.. depending on my flow and how hungry he is.. his evening feed 8pmish is usually the longest. 3am he only fed for 17mins lol.. was fab..

I asked the community nursery nurse yesterday if it was normal that Finn was only feeding for about 10 mins and her reply was "To put it crudely, a good feeder will strip a breast in 10 mins!" :cheer: so my babe is a good, efficient feeder (and is now 12lbs 13 oz so putting on weight perfectly!)

midna said:
Seed is over 91st for weight but she dont look like a fatty shes long and quite well built lol ... she was measured other day but I cant find how long she is.??
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31 ... CN0142.flv here u can see her shes quite a biggun. 8)

Mind you she was 2 weeks overcooked!

Poor little raggedy seed in her cut of trousers :rotfl: I just vacuum packed a load of Finn's clothes today that are too small

midna said:
I know I went and bought her new today lool :rotfl:

I've just been down to Woolies and bought Finn some vests 3-6 mths! It prob doesn't help that he wears washable nappies so they're a bit bulkier than disposables so tighter under the poppers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back