Breastfeeding in public

kitty2016

Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking for a bit of support/advice really.
I'm pregnant with my first, he's due in a couple of weeks and I couldn't be more excited! I've always known the kind of birth i wanted and what kind of mother I wanted to be, I've thought about it for years and it's finally going to happen!
I have always known 100% that I wanted to breastfeed, even from a young age. Which is weird because I'd never really been around anyone that has and I was bottle fed.

Anyway, what I hadn't considered and what has been playing on my mind lately is the fact that I'm going to have to 'whip them out' in public!
Let me start by saying that I am absolutely NOT against breastfeeding in public, it is the lost natural thing on earth and should be normalised. What I'm concerned about is how shy I am!
Yes I have a cover for when needed, but I have never been the kind of girl to get my breasts out. I don't really wear anything to show them off - I think it's because I had large breasts from being about 13 and was so embarrassed of them that it kind of stuck.
I know I will feel more comfortable once I get the hang of it and can be discreet, but I'm feeling terribly anxious about the first week or so when family and friends are visiting. I am dying thinking about doing it in front of them.

Has anyone felt this way? I don't want to feel uncomfortable in my own home but the last thing I want is to be telling people they can't visit because I need to feed :-(
Am I worrying over nothing? Any advice?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading x

At first you might need to get your boobs out to get baby latched but once you've both got the hang of it you'll be able to be discreet and most people will barely notice what you're doing.

I found it a bit weird with guests to start with, but that was more because we had issues feeding and the whole thing was very stressful rather than worry about my family getting a glimpse of my boobs. I generally just turned away from people and used my clothes/muslins as a bit of a privacy screen but to be honest no-one was looking so I really wouldn't worry about it x

I was a little nervous about feeding in public when I was pregnant but when it came to it I really wasn't bothered. Like the poster above said once you've got the latch sorted you can be very discreet, it's also likely that you will have that sorted by the time you're ready to venture out.

I wore a vest underneath my tops so my top came up and vest went down which meant minimal exposure, I'd also sometimes wear a scarf. I don't think anyone ever saw even a tiny bit of skin.

I never experienced anyone looking at me funny or anything. You gotta do what you gotta do and after a few weeks I had no problem feeding in front of my oh's friends. That first week id feed in front of some people but if there was anyone I was a bit more shy around I'd just pop to the bedroom or ask them to Pop into the kitchen and make a cuppa or fill the dishwasher for me

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I know I shouldn't be worrying about it really at this stage but can't seem to get it
off my mind! This has made me feel better though, thank you x

I know you already have your answers but as above, I do a vest and top. I've never got to grips with maternity tops at all, I have a few but not keen.

You do feel self-conscious initially but I promise that soon goes and I just whip them out wherever now!

Best of luck hun :)

Thank you Kumber, I have been looking into buying a few vests for this reason. Can't believe how expensive nursing accessible clothes are!

There's a Facebook group called can I breastfeed in it uk which is fab for high street and supermarket clothes suitable for breastfeeding x

Good luck :) I only breastfed for a short time but I have to admit I never got my head around doing it in public. I was okay once baby latched but there's the awkward pre-latch, baby fussing, and trying to preserve modesty at same time bit really difficult and this was the case no matter what I wore...

I wasn't so bothered around friends and family, I'd just go to another room to latch her on then come back in whilst feeding her.

Hopefully you'll find a good way to do it and get into the swing of it. breastfeeding is so lovely, so good luck and all the best for your imminent arrival :)

Last edited:
Hey! I am on my second pregnancy, and with my first little girl I breastfed for one year. I am also one to cover up my boobs and HATE the idea of them being out on show, but I managed just fine with my girl. I bought 2 breast feeding aprons, they literally go on round your neck and have a rigid edge so you can see what you are doing, and it fully covers you and your baby whilst feeding and they stay nice and cool inside. Feeding clothes are well worth the investment, always check Ebay for bargains because I got loads of new clothes on there last time.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, once you have done it for the first time it breaks the ice so to speak and you just get on with it, and with an apron on people don't even notice what you are doing. I couldn't believe that I lasted a whole year feeding, I did combination feed by around 6 months, but I always chose breastfeeding for going out for the sheer fact of not having to pack any bottles! xx

I'm a little nervous... but have now done it several times (including in McDonalds and Pizza Hut). Still very aware of being on show, but am definitely in the stance of "if you don't like it, don't f**king look".

I found a vest and top worked better than proper breastfeeding clothes. I do have some breastfeeding tops and the only thing they are better for is feeding when I had LO in a carrier. I was able to feed when walking around like that.

Hey,

I've just started a thread in baby and toddler. I've actually decided to start a kind of 'nursing' boutique (hopefully to bring in some income instead of returning to work so I can be with my son). But it was inspired by a bit of frustration! I couldn't find affordable nice dresses for weddings etc. I kept finding casual day dresses, mini dresses or dresses for maternity rather than nursing.

Anyway so far I have got by with this kind of top from Amazon. And my trick is to tuck a muslin under my bra strap so that if he pulls back it doesn't drop down and expose me because i'm shy too! I also do the vest/ top combo. But I had difficulty getting him latched on for a while so I often latched him on outside of the room and came back in (around family etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back