Breastfeeding Foods to Avoid...

emilia

Reaction score
Oscar had a terrible night. Seemed like he was really cramping.... no farties though - just very agitated!!! What did I eat that may have upset him? Help!!!
I had some fruit cake and a few squares of choccie.... could that be it? Which foods do you avoid?
Emilia xx

There is many myths surrounding breastfeeding and what you eat.

Breastmilk is made from plasma (blood) so officially speaking the only things that you consume that effect your baby would be things that carry through the blood such as drugs, chemicals and alcohol etc. Many midwives say it is all just coinsidence that your baby has a bad night once in a while when you have eated something like coke, garlic etc. Physiologically there should be no way that something that goes into your stomach can end up in your breast milk.

Then again, many other midwives say there are things that upset the little ones. I personally don't take too much notice but then it's a personal choice thing. Some women are convinced that certain things upset their baby but then when you look at it logically, how can it??

My advice would be keep an eye on it and if you do see a pattern it will do you no harm to avoid things if it works for you. Remember babies will always have the odd rough night, it doesn't have to be something you have eaten. It could just be a growth spurt when they are very hard to settle - these come at around ten days and six weeks.

Much love

I avoid fizzy drinks and stuff like sprouts and cabbage. If you do find a pattern, rememebr their digestive systems do mature and not to cut out the foods for good, just lay off for a while then try again in small amounts later. I couldn't eat spicy chicken pizza for a while... there was a definite pattern, now I can eat it all I want.

Hello

I have had the same problem with Kiara for about a week now her tummy is really upsetting her and at every diaper change she had been pooping, but we took her to the docs last night cuz there was a bit of blood the lastchange and she had a tear on her bum and they said thats from going to the bathroom, which shocked me because she is breast feed and her poo is runny? i also didnt think it was a good thing how often she is going but i dont know if the doc just maybe didnthear that i said that or what?
I also was thinking if it was somthing i ate but i eat different each day?
Hoping this will settle down for you cuz its keepingme up at nights, ghood luck
Katrina

When I was breastfeeding Rubie would sometimes poo every half an hour :shock:

Thanks for all your replies!!
I've taken it easy today and Oscar has been much better! Less farties today and more smiles! Thank goodness..... now hoping for a good night sleep!
Emilia xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back