Breastfeeding 'essentials'

TORino

Reaction score
Perhaps a silly q given that most people might think you just need a boob but I'd like to be prepared for potential problems.

What other paraphernalia might I need to help me with breast feeding?
What have been your prized purchases? Things you wouldn't be without?

What are nipple shields/shells/gel pads? You can tell I have a lot to learn... Lol

Is a pump essential? I seem to get conflicting advice on this one!

Any other tips greatly appreciated!

Lansinoh cream was essential during the early days. I also used pads for the first couple of months as I kept leaking in public. I didn't use shields or gel pads. I used a pump from about 6 weeks and still do but it's not neccessary for the early days.
Well done you for being prepared. It never occurred to me I would need anything other than a boob and kept having to send my oh out to buy extras

Sorry, just noticed the 'is a pump essential' question.
Well no, not essential, but great after the first 6 weeks or so if you want a break from night feeds or want to pop out for a bit without baby.
One thing is though, I used to pump so my oh could do some night feeds to let me get some sleep but then not feeding would end up with my boobs so full that I would have to get up and pump anyway, defeating the point really.

I agree with other others, the cream was a godsend as u don't have to remove it before baby feeds booby pads... still use them just incase. And i have a pump.. tommee tippee closer to nature manual pump, i don't recommend it as i have only been able to express anything out if my boobs are too full or if LO is latced onto the other one... saying that I'm not sure if that's a normal thing as LO is only nearly 7weeks xx

Some sort of cloth or muslin cloth is good to cover if you feel you need it. At hospital I didn't both but out and about it's useful to quickly chuck over your shoulder for burping.

Emma x

I never needed creams or shields, was really lucky with my nipples lol

Like Emma said though, muslins... and a million of them!! The first few months you will get through alot in a day! they do posset (sp?) a fair bit!

Also, I couldn't have done without the feeding pillow. Rather than holding him. It left both arms free so I could go online, or eat while he was attached to me for a few hours.

I also couldn't have done without my pump. Oz was tongue-tied and couldn't latch properly til it was sorted, so the pump was essential in helping my milk to come in. Also was good to express a bit so OH could feed him and I could have a rest.

This time I'm going to invest in a sling too so I can wear baby and feed him/her easier when i'm out n about!!

xxxxx

I've a pump but you could buy this once breast feeding is established as they cost quite a bit, well the electric ones do, I have an advent one which is great only problem I have is my LO wont take a bottle so a pump isn't much use lol!

Lanoshol cream is great too and pads are essential esp at night. Get a couple of night and day bras in a bigger size but don't buy many cos I went from 34dd in pregnancy to 34f feeding so you never know how big you might get. I've not needed the shields, most important thing is getting your latch right early on but I did get some just incase. One of the best things I've brought is breast feeding vests to wear under my top, stops me being cold while feeding and hides that flabby new mummy tummy as well, I really need more but mother care seem to have sold out just now and only have loads of size 18s in the sale! They are only £3 in sale I paid £15 each!

You will still need a sterilizer for your pump, shields and dummies if you use them as well x

Great thread Torino, been wondering the same things!

thanks for the tips ladies! going to get me some nipple cream, muslins ect and hold off on the pump till after baby has arrived :) xx

Thank you ladies, you have been most helpful!

I have a couple of nursing pillows but find the widgey one best especially now feeding lo and entertaining toddler. Got mine from John Lewis but since seen loads on eBay. I haven't got feeding tops but have loads of normal best tops- get them cheap from tesco. I then wear a vest top under my normal top so I can pull one up and one down so I am completely covered. Same idea as feeding top but cheaper x

Oh and normal v neck tops are usually fine for feeding, I didn't buy any specific bf tops x

Be prepared for milk to squirt everywhere at first - I used to have a folded muslin to hand to catch the spray if Lizzie came off at the wrong moment lol!

I borrowed a Medela pump from my local Surestart centre before buying one, definitely worth looking into as you can see if you really need one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back