Breastfeeding and low milk supply

strongminded

Reaction score
Hi All

I had my son 7 days ago and i am still not producing enough milk to get him full just by breastfeeding and pumping. Even after breastfeeding for 45mins he is still hungry as i am not producing enough and i am having to top up with formula. His latch is fine and sucks well too.

I really want my milk supply to increase and get him off formula. I am getting worried.

Anyone else going through this? I am not on any supplements at the moment to increase milk supply.

It sounds like normal cluster feeding, lovely. What makes you think you have low supply? Pumping isn't a good way to tell. The top ups won't be helping though - the more he stimulates your boob, the more milk you'll make, so stop the formula and get him feeding as much a possible (I know it probably feels constant as it is!)

Hi my milk did not come in and i was pumping, giving breast and topping up with formula. My baby is now 16 weeks and exclusively breast fed. You can do it bit its hard work but it can be done. Keep giving him breast all the time and pump when his not on. I also took fenugreek. At around 2ish weeks i think, i only gave her a formula top up every 3 hrs. It meant ahe was still hungry so she just stayed on my boob. It was hard as i couldnt do anything as she was there constantly. Every day i reduced the amount of formula till it was nothing. I then only gave one bottle of formula at night since. However i stopped this a week ago and now she is exclusively breast fed. Keep at it you can do it, i cried alot got stressed but look at me now. Xx

As others have said 45 minutes feeding is not abnormal or a sign of low supply and pumping doesn't show how much your producing. Topping up with formula won't help you produce more but I understand it gives a break. Do you have a breast feeding worker through your midwife or look up your local le leiche support group. The first few weeks are the hardest as they will be constantly attached but it gets easier xxxii

Also if you keep giving formula your milk supply wont go up as much as it could. You need to reduce the amount you give then he will be on your breast more. The first few weeks is non stop freding. You need to have a nursing holiday i.e you stay in and keep him on your boobs. Once you het your head around this is what it is your feel more relaxed.

Last edited:
Contact your lactation support asap, there are foods that can help with increasing supply. It can have something to do with let down. I thought I had it right but after a few weeks I was so exhausted I just turned to formula and gave up which really is a shame. I did think later on it could've been something to do with let down too and didn't know about certain foods that can help increase supply in general. It does take a lot of putting baby on as much as possible too I believe x

Oats are meant to be good use Kelly mom the website and call your breast feeding support team.

Hi all. Thanks for all your tips. I have been breastfeeding and pumping between feeds too. I have noticed an increase in supply. But i am still struggling. This morning i breastfed for an hour and his latch is good and he was swallowing too but he was still hungry after the hour.

I am wondering if i will ever make enough to satisfy him only with breastfeeding. I will start on fenugreek supplements in the next couple of days. I also have oats for breakfast.

I just feel abit helpless at the moment

I felt the same and its hard when they are constantly feeding but it helps you make more. Have you called your breast feeding support worker or nct line xx

Also look at the list of foods to avoid. My friend was drinking peppermint tea and was struggling to increase her milk supply then found out you should avoid it.

If you keep breastfeeding your body will produce enough milk. But it does take a while for your supply to regulate and it can be tough. Make sure you have everything you need when you sit down to feed - drink, snack, TV remote, phone. And do go along to a breastfeeding clinic to check his latch just in case there are any little tweaks or suggestions they can make to improve things.

The best way to know if baby is getting enough milk is to keep getting him weighed and check you have at least 6 wet heavy nappies a day. If you put four table spoons of water in a clean nappy, you will feel what heavy is supposed to feel like.

I spent the first 2 weeks of my little girls life on the same grueling routine as you. Once she was back to birth weight and gaining, I dropped the formula top up, followed by dropping the pumping the following week. I had lots of advice from my midwife/Health Visitor and breast feeding support person at my local children's center. I'd strongly recommend you join a breast feeding group for support.

I would try lactation cookies before Fenugreek personally. I use Bellybelly http://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/lactation-cookies/ only I've made 3 batches now, the first with self raising flour, the 3rd with plain flour and no raising agent, batch three are best, if you use self raising like it says they end up like a stodgy scone rather than a biscuit lol. Batch 2 were peanut butter & raisin, batch 3 were choc chip I added cocoa powder and dairy free choc chips to it (cos I'm dairy free) and they are really nice.

I'm eating them because I'm expressing to donate to a milk bank. Before I started having them I struggled to get 2oz, now I'm getting 4 or 5oz a day on top of feeding my 3 month old. Today I've already hand expressed 4oz and frozen it and that was just from expressing 2.5oz at 6am and 1.5oz at 8am :)

Hi ladies.
Sorry to jump in here but I just have a quick question...I am hoping to breast feed when baby arrives but it didn't really work out for me with my first baby however I would like to try again but having read your posts about how babies are constantly feeding and it can rake a few weeks etc how do you work that around other children?? I am worried I won't have time to breast feed if I have to take my daughter to school. My partner is only going to be off first 2 weeks and then I am by myself! Xx

Hi ladies.
Sorry to jump in here but I just have a quick question...I am hoping to breast feed when baby arrives but it didn't really work out for me with my first baby however I would like to try again but having read your posts about how babies are constantly feeding and it can rake a few weeks etc how do you work that around other children?? I am worried I won't have time to breast feed if I have to take my daughter to school. My partner is only going to be off first 2 weeks and then I am by myself! Xx

Its difficult isn't it? Feeding isn't just about what is best for one baby when you have a family to take into account.

Your purist breast feeding advocates will say, you just take baby with you, feed him/her in the car or on a park bench in the rain under a mac, use a sling, whatever it takes! I suppose I could say - is bottle feeding any more compatible with the school run?

Once you've established breast feeding, you could opt to bring in a bottle of pumped milk or consider combination feeding with formula.

Also - try joining a local breast feeding support group , they're a great source of advice and support.

I only have one baby but had friends whos babys are 3 weeks older than mi e and they have other kids. They said they fed before they left even in rhe car sometimes so they could leave straight away and if need be when they got there. I feed where ever, as i type im currently sat in the car park and my baby is 19 weeks. Friends say its hard but they want to do it so make it work.

I feed on the school run in a sling! I tried a bottle whilst doing the school run and personally found it harder as my hands weren't free to hold my sons hand or help hold book bags etc.
My hubby works long shifts as a chef and I really worried how I would sort my son (4) whilst trying to establish breastfeeding. Bedtime was hard as both were tired and needed my attention but I got there in the end with a fantastic routine that meant no meltdowns lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back