breastfeeding and give water too?

leanne

Reaction score
hiya ladies, just looking for advice. im breastfeeding zack and find it all easy but was talking to some "older" women about my feeding routine and they looked shocked when i said i didnt give zack water during the day. thing is i havent been told to do so by either the hospital when i was in or my midwife or my hv. they looked at me almost in disgust (which i hate, how the blody hell am i supposed to know what to do im new to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) so i was just woundering if i am meant to give him water? i just thought he would get all his liquid intake from my milk?! feel really stupid. sick of telling people things only for them to tut and make me feel like im 12 years old. was tutted at by my gran of all people coz i have zack in bed with me at night coz i find that easier to feed him and get some sleep. another thing i passed my son over to my gran so she could hold him and she told me to watch his head, watch his head? eh, like id intentionally hurt or put my babies neck at risk. aaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry. got a bit carried away didnt i? i could have strangled her, didnt help that i was hormonal that day but i managed to keep my mouth buttoed, miracle for me! anyway back to the topic in hand as rant is over! anyone been there?!

Hi Leanne

Glad to hear things are going well on the breastfeeding front.

I was only told to give Olivia some cooled boiled water by the midwife after I had given her a bottle of formula one night and Olivia seemed to be constipated the following day. I gave it to her that time but haven't since.

I also thought that our breastmilk was all the food and drink they needed, unless of course we're not producing enough milk etc but then the babies wouldn't have the wet and dirty nappies etc.

Lucy

They are talking bunkum, breast fed babies do not need extra bottles of fluid usually as they recieve all they need from you. First of all they have the fore milk which is like a drink then they get the hind milk which is the heavier fattier milk where all the calories are. Obviosly if you feel they are dehydrated then give some water but they should be fine. Like Lucy says as long as there are wet and dirty nappies and baby is alert then all is ok.

Glad things are going well Leanne. Seren shares my bed as well as I also find it easier to feed and sleep. Urchin put a link up about co-sleeping which showed that there are a lot of benefits to co-sleeping, as long as you make sure they are safe of course, which I will try and find. I also kept getting told "mind her head", like I was going to let it flop about. If yu have any breastfeeding questions post here, I had loads and was helped out bu Emilia and Urchin (thanks guys :D ). Edit...I forgot to thank Roseroo too, sorry hun you were great when I had mastitis. Feel abd now :oops:

Missed the bit about holding the head etc - this is where my MIL really irritates me! Every time she comes round she insists on swaddling Olivia in a blanket to keep her head more stable (poor thing looks like she's just out of the Navity Scene!) - but Olivia hates having her arms restricted and so then starts fighting against the blanket! She is always telling me and DH to "mind her head" when we're passing Olivia to someone or picking her up etc - I reckon they should start auditions for "mind the head" voiceovers rather than the tube's "mind the gap" :lol:

Along with Beanie, I wouldn't be still breastfeeding now if it wasn't for the support I've received on here from people like Urchin, Emilia, Kina and Beanie - thanks from me too!

Lucy

Lucy said:
I reckon they should start auditions for "mind the head" voiceovers rather than the tube's "mind the gap" :lol:

LOL, my FIL will be a strong contender there bless him (I know its cos he cares)

Have to second Beanie - no extra water required! As my DH will say..... "They're talking MINCE"... :D
Emilia xx

Lucy said:
Along with Beanie, I wouldn't be still breastfeeding now if it wasn't for the support I've received on here from people like Urchin, Emilia, Kina and Beanie - thanks from me too!

Lucy

Awww wow hun that's really made my day!

By the way I have never given Brody water and have been exclusively breastfeeding :)

Hi, I asked the same question about water and breast feeding and I also felt like I didnt know anything so your not alone!

I just give Jack water if he hasnt pooed for a while with very diluted juice as the H/V recommended it.

I also have Jack next to me at night when I feed him and we both usually drift off to sleep. I just make sure he is safe, plus I always get a smile from him when we wake! :D

Hi

Ivenever given Kiara water as was told breast milk was all she needed.
lol my dad just mentioned the other day .. dont you give her water and i said no, hes like what you have to get them used ot it.... i was like thats what they did when we were young its a new generation were told not to do it no more.
But it is wierd that everything has changed.
Now you just gto to wonder if tehy were watchingour babies what they give them wihtout asking :shock:
As far as co sleeping Kiara is in my bed after Oh has gone to work unless she wakes up hungry earlier. But lately shes still awake at 2 and 3 am so i stick her in the bed and she sleeps right away.
Katrina :D

Never given Ella water - the first milk that comes out is the thirstquenching milk, then your baby gets to the fattier creamier milk. One MW likened it to getting the skimmed milk to start, then full fat jersey cream :lol:

Thanks Lucy! :oops: :)

thank you all so much ladies, put my mind totally at ease!!! give yourselves a big pat on the back as you have made me smile especially lucy's tube auditions comment lol :lol:
i asked my hv who came this morning and she said exactly the same as you guys, as long as he's not constipated dont need to give water.
thank you again xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back