Breastfeeding and caffeine

hopefulmummy

Reaction score
I am drinking a couple of cups of tea and a couple of coffees a day at the moment and I'm breastfeeing 4 times a day. Is this too much caffeine? Very occassionally I'll have a coke as well.

I think I'm pretty lucky with my baby as he doesn't seem
To be affected by what I eat or drink, but is it harmful to him?

Oops I hadnt even thought of this and I have several coffees a day! LO is 5 months old and seems ok :-/ x

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

Same here smith!!! It wasn't till a friend I mine from the states said she's just stopped feeding her 8 month old and was enjoying her first cup of coffee!!!!

If its not affecting them I wouldn't worry but I've almost cut it out as I thought it was contributing to Kynon not sleeping and being agitated at night don't think it made much difference though!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I cut it out completely since pregnancy and carried on as I don't feel I need it anymore. Love my decaff tho!!

I used to drink loads of tea while BFing, only cut back atm coz of pregnancy. I had some info somewhere that caffiene shouldn't effect baby during BFing. The only thing that should effect baby is if baby is lactose intolerant etc but generally whatever mum consumes shouldn't have any effect on baby. It said in most cases if something occured, it was generally a coincidence.

Your body will work to nuture baby through your milk and will only pass on goodness and before doing anything for mum!

I'll try n find it, but gotta go pick LO up soon so might not get back to it for a wihle lol

xxxxx

I head your LO is more resilient if you drank it during ur pregnancy as they are used to it.

I'd not even thought of this! Need my coffee more than ever with the night feeds zzzzzz

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

Decaf tea...love the stuff! Can't drink ordinary tea now. Lol.x

Caffeine stays in babies system more for longer than ours so builds up. I mainly drink coke with is less caffeine by far than tea, did so during pregnancy so don't want to suddenly cut it out IYKWIM

The midwife said to me that a cup of tea was good for milk supply but I've got a feeling that's only because it encourages you to relax and have an extra cup of fluids you might not have had. So I know have one cup of tea a day and baby (TOUCH WOOD!!!) sleeps beautifully so far.

I heard tea help produce milk supply but not sure about coffee.. when i first start bf and complaining of low fluid in my supply, oldies kept telling me to drink tea.. not sure

I have about 3 cups of tea and 2 coffees a day!!! It doesn't seem to affect my baby. I'm
Not damaging him, am I?

Really? I don't personally drink
Tea (not that that's why I don't drink it) so I wouldn't know.

Tea is actually very good at regulating temperature too, that's why it's a fave in lots of hot countries!

Can't be that bad for you either as when I was in hospital last week they are dishing it out every 30 mins to ante & post natal women!

I noticed that with caffeinated coffee! I was advised at my booking in spot that it was the devils drink (well she looked at me like I was committing a crime by drinking one weak cup a day) I quit anyway. But they were constantly coming round offering tea and coffee. Talk about conflicting advice!

I noticed that with caffeinated coffee! I was advised at my booking in spot that it was the devils drink (well she looked at me like I was committing a crime by drinking one weak cup a day) I quit anyway. But they were constantly coming round offering tea and coffee. Talk about conflicting advice!

I know, I dont think they know what to say for the best sometimes, scared some advice might be wrong n come bite them on the ass lol

At both my booking in appts was told 2 cups tea or coffee p/day wont do any harm! Now I'm out of first tri I'm on (like a drug lol caffieeeene it's all I have left :cry:) about 3-4 cups a day!!! Feel like I'm craving it with this LO tho, probs all the sugar I put in lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back