Breastfed and waking! UPDATED

Valley Girl

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wondered if anyone had tried this? I am exclusively breastfeeding, but Toby wakes wuite a lot at night for quick top up feeds. Although it wouldn't usually be a problem, because I have two older kids I have to get up really early to do school run, and can't catch up on the sleep. I really need to get myself together as I am getting more and more exhausted. Toby is coming up 1 month. I wondered about topping up with the night time feed with a little formula, as it sits in the tummy longer and he may sleep longer? Any experience of this? I didn't need to do it with my other boys, but Toby is a little more windy than them, and was 2 1/2 pound heavier at birth!

Could you express a feed to give when you go to bed?
I did this with Charlotte so she had a dreamfeed we we went to bed and so I got a bit longer before the first night feed.

Hiya,

I feed Tim all day, and then his dad gives him 1 bottle of EBM (between 1 and 3oz) and 2 of formula (about 10-12oz) each night around 8.30-9.00pm. This normally sees him through to 7.00/7.30 the next morning!! :cheer: Its heaven not waking in the night anymore!!

I think we started doing this when he was about 3 weeks old and we've never looked back!

We started this but not for the sleep, because he would still be screaming hungry at 6pm after his feed. It did get him to sleep longer too, so bonus. I don't see anything wrong with doing it but others may say to express during the evening to keep your supply up if you are supplementing with formula.

OK.. so supposing I made the 9 o'clock pre bed feed a formula feed that Daddy can do, and I express and stock up the freezer. I can see there are advantages to this, if we ever wanted to go out life for the babysitter would be easy! No missing mummy's nippples at bed time!

But how much do I offer? As I breast feed I have no idea how much a four week old takes in a feed!

Also, is the baby likely to take formula without a fight?? I did express a little bit in the first week, due to WAY toomuch milk. And Daddy and big brothers all had a go at feeding. He took it straight away, from a tommee tippee bottle (like breast ones). I just wonder if he is likely to spit it out? I guess it depends on the baby.

Hello :) I breastfeed all day then at night before bed about 10 she has about 3 oz formula and then into bed and breastfeed when we lie side by side til she falls asleep. Then she wakes up about 1-2 for another 3-4 oz bottle then thats it til morning about 7 ish.

Problem is she started only taking 2oz in the middle of night and waking up another 2 hours later for more so i thought sod it id just breastfeed her.

3 days later (today) she is waking at 12, 1.30, 2.30, 3.30, 5 and then grizzles til i get up..................zzzzzzzz so tired!!!!!!! so is she, shes not getting enough bless her!!!!

So my advice would be to do the formula and stick to it as going back is a bloody nightmare!!!! and start on 3 oz :)

Good luck!!! x

Kitten1102 - does that mean your son takes up to 15 oz of milk in one go (at 8.30-9 pm)? :shock: That seems a lot - I'm not sure if Imogen would take that much even if we tried. Imogen does take EBM well in a bottle so there is the potential to intro. formula. May do this in a few weeks. Not sure. What formula do you use?

Beatlesfan said:
Kitten1102 - does that mean your son takes up to 15 oz of milk in one go (at 8.30-9 pm)? :shock: That seems a lot - I'm not sure if Imogen would take that much even if we tried. Imogen does take EBM well in a bottle so there is the potential to intro. formula. May do this in a few weeks. Not sure. What formula do you use?

the most he has ever taken is 12oz. the amount of formula i make up depends on how much bm i express... his average feed is about 10oz, but i will always make up more then if he's hungrier than normal, it's there...

We're using Cow & Gate Premium at the moment. We did try SMA Gold, but it made him constipated!!

Well, my husband has just given Toby 3oz of formula, so let's see if it works tonight. He drank it straight down no complaints.
The thing is, I felt really sad! So sad that he's had something other than MY milk. Is that normal?
I wish he didn't have to take anything other than my milk, but I really need some sleep. I can't win!

i have never given bam formula.

I fed her more a less constantly between 6-8 then a dream feed at 11 and she slept 11-10 :D from abour 2/3 weeks

lozzi said:
i have never given bam formula. I fed her more a less constantly between 6-8 then a dream feed at 11 and she slept 11-10 :D from abour 2/3 weeks
What's a dream feed?

Valley Girl said:
lozzi said:
i have never given bam formula. I fed her more a less constantly between 6-8 then a dream feed at 11 and she slept 11-10 :D from abour 2/3 weeks
What's a dream feed?

late night top up feed... bubs isnt fully awake :)

12 oz in 1 feeding? wow hungry baby, is that like 1 and 1/2 bottles worth?

Well, he had 3oz at 9.30, slept til 2 and then had a breast feed, then slept til 5, so much better.
Would you say that was a success? It beats waking every 1-2 hours which he can do sometimes, but will I get used to him having formula once a day, and stop feeling guilty? I guess I will if I'm well rested!
I'm sure we could have given him more than 3oz, how much is too much for a 4 week old?

Valley Girl said:
Well, my husband has just given Toby 3oz of formula, so let's see if it works tonight. He drank it straight down no complaints.
The thing is, I felt really sad! So sad that he's had something other than MY milk. Is that normal?
I wish he didn't have to take anything other than my milk, but I really need some sleep. I can't win!

I felt the same way when Tim took a bottle for the first time... i remember thinking: 'well, he doesn't need me anymore' but its nice that we still feed during the day, and then he falls asleep in my arms!

As for the 12oz feed, i think it may have been a growth spurt as he has dropped back down to 9oz maximum...

and ValleyGirl, if you are happy with how he slept that night, then it was a definite success!!!

Valley Girl said:
I'm sure we could have given him more than 3oz, how much is too much for a 4 week old?

I think we started on about 3oz (of just EBM), and then when he was still hungry, we started giving 2oz of formula on top of that, and then upped it by on ounce each time he seemed to still be hungry.

Now i make up a little more frmula than I think he'll take, and when he's had enough, he just stops taking it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back