Breast to cows milk?

Sarah13

Reaction score
Long term breast feeders have you weaned straight to cows milk or formula? Which is better? I still plan to bf as much as possible but Im getting no evenings to get my uni work done so oh said he would take over some evening duties so I have more time now K is one and not so dependent on breast milk. I would just express but it takes me so long and its difficult to find time now!

Hi love. How old is your lo? X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's just turned 12 months. Was wondering from a nutrition point of view really, I saw the thread about follow on milk being a gimmick but wondered about regular formula.

Not sure about breast milk to cows milk but we have started moving over from formula to cows milk, last few days I've been giving lo a sippy cup of milk during the day and another one with water so he can choose which to drink and get a bit of a taste for milk, then today I replaced his midday nap bottle with milk and he took it fine, gonna keep his bedtime bottle formula for the time being but hope to have it milk soon.

I don't know what is best formula or milk but I do know that formula is expensive and a faff and if he already has a balanced diet then milk should be enough so I'm all for the easier cheaper option if it makes no difference to lo's health!!!!

Got my hv apt next Friday so I'm going to check with them that I'm doing the right thing so I'll let you know what they say

We've got the health visitor on Friday too so Ill ask as well. He does eat a balanced diet so hopefully he's getting most of what he needs too

I think after 1 they should be getting most of their nutrients from food - I'm happy that my LO eats loads and lots of variety so is on cows milk but if she is poorly or hasn't eaten well I sometimes give her a carton of formula at night - not sure if it helps her but makes me feel better!!

I shall still bf most of the time but it would be nice to get a break even if it is to do uni work!

Oz wouldn't touch cows milk, each time I tried he'd throw the cup away lol he has c&g yoddler milk, it's flavoured with vanilla and pretty yum tbh! Guess there's no reason you couldn't put a drop of vanilla in actual cows milk, but the toddler milk does have added nutrients too.

Xx

We went onto follow on milk with 3 of ours (2 of which I bf'd). It seemed to be more satisfying, particularly at night as it helped to get them to sleep through. We can't do this with Connie, due to lactose intolerance and the difference is quite dramatic.

We've moved onto milk. He still has breast before bed and when he wakes in the morning. I give him water through the day but after each nap (he still has 2) he has a bottle of luke warm milk, this is the only way he takes it from a bottle. He also has milk in his cereal and sometimes in mashed potato. Plus he has 3 meals a day.

Thanks, might try a daytime cup of cows milk tomorrow and see how it goes!

Hope it went ok, did he drink it? Nursery asked me today if they could start giving him cows milk so I had a chat with them and we've agreed that I stop sending a bottle and they will just give him a sippy cup of milk at snack time. Fingers crossed this might be the start of weaning him off his daytime bottle!!!

Well he loves it! Yesterday he had it warm in a bottle and today cold in a sippy cup and drank all of it both times! Just starting with daytime for now while Im in uni then maybe evenings when Im busy.

well done Sarah and Kynon!

I moved to cows milk at 12 mths too and no probs, I found the rubber topped tall beakers tommie tippee best Sainsburys do them, as they have soft rubber tops which Devon liked more like comfy boobs, he still has them now, but the oldest ones they do..

I have one of those tommee tippee beakers, it's non drip too which is great as C loves turning the bottle upside down and making a mess!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back