Breast shields

twinkles

Reaction score
Today I bought some shields and they are amazing!! I use shield on sore side and without on the other, is that ok?? Also how long can I use shields? I figured if every other feed is direct on nipple the confusion won't happen?? She needs to be on bottle and breast by Xmas for me to work so thinking November I will start that, is it ok to keep using the shields that long??

Also what ones do u recommend? I bought boots and they are fine but the teat looks massive so might get some smaller ones??? Although she feeds on it no problem....

And she won't settle at night, think she has reflux and hates being on her back but that's another story, I just wonder of the shield will make her take in more air and make the problem worse????? Although today after the 2 shield feeds she had she seemed to feed a lot longer and slept 3/4 hours( on me) so is it possible she is getting more milk than without shield??

So sorry for all the questions!!!! Think that's them all! Seeing hv tomo so will ask again but find them very anti shields so think asking mummy's makes more sense!!!

Thank u!!! X

Brilliant! I'm only using on one side as other is ok and we have had big feeds and long sleeps!!! Think I may get some smaller ones as the boots ones seem massive in her little mouth but it doesn't stop her!!! X

Hooray :) I'm glad you have found something that works, so you can get a bit more sleep. Even if you just use them until supply establishes properly you may find she will feed better without completely in few weeks time xx

Hi hun - I use shields with my LO full time. I had no choice really, at first it was the only way we could successfully bf and then by the time I could have fed her without, she was too used to the shields to feed without them. But if your LO is feeding happily from either, I wouldn't worry. There's been no issues with my milk production (LO 17 months and still bf!), just a bit inconvenient. I use Medela shields from Boots, they do small or medium size and I've only ever used the small ones, still fine now - I thought they looked quite big initially but compared to some Avent ones a friend tried to give me (which were HUGE!) they looked really thin and nice.

For next baby I'm hoping to be able to manage without the shields but if it's a choice between shields and formula feeding it'll be a no brainer and the shields will be used again - they've been utter lifesavers for our bf journey.

Thanks for your story! It's reassuring to read! I bought some medela ones so got 2 sets now which is handy for nights to save getting up to sterilise them! She's on big shields, middle shields and nipple and we have had no problem' she's not fussy!!!! I will give nipple a few times a day but one side still too pain full! If need be I will stay on shields like u say, no brainer!!! X

I am on the medela shields too. But i got told that baby doesn't get as much milk as fast so feeds for longer, and that it may give her more wind. She mostly refuses my nipple on its own now

My problem is that since using them she wants to feed ALL the time, 5-6 hours a day. She will go 30mins in each breast and still be smacking her lips and sucking her fingers so she gets each breast again which she takes for anything between 10-30 mins again. I have also noticed my milk production decreasing since using them. Have had to start giving her a bottle during the night and then expressing cause I just couldn't feed her for that long during the night, and she doesn't stay settled for long before waking and wanting fed again. A bottle keeps her settled for 3-4hrs compared to 1-2 on the breast.

But without the shields we would have totally given up ages ago as one nipple was black with bruising and the other was cracked and bleeding. Both had a horrible crust over them too. Got them back into condition with jelnet which is amazing stuff for cracked nips. Using lanosin HP stuff now.

I had no idea breast feeding would be so difficult! Not to mention the utter failure I felt when I gave her her first night bottle ... My god the tears and the guilt!!

Just a thought with your shields, are you using the correct size? I started with ones that were too big and although she fed fine I did notice she had a lot if wind! I bought smaller ones and she eats much better and although she does need burping its not so bad, she is sleeping 3 hours on average and eats anything between 20/40 mins between sleeps x

had had to give up. Am gutted! this morning i was on my phone whilst i was feeding Freya and i looked down and there was blood everywhere! she was actually sucking blood out of my nipple, the shield was full of blood and she had blood running down her chin. I was nearly sick.

I wiped my nipple with a muslin after and part of my nipple came away! EEEEK.

so thats it for me. Biggest sign yet to give up with the breast feeding. I cant feed her with one boob as she always feeds of the two and by the time my nipple heals the milk will have stopped coming in it.

might drown my sorrows with a bottle of wine........ so there is the upside!

had had to give up. Am gutted! this morning i was on my phone whilst i was feeding Freya and i looked down and there was blood everywhere! she was actually sucking blood out of my nipple, the shield was full of blood and she had blood running down her chin. I was nearly sick.

I wiped my nipple with a muslin after and part of my nipple came away! EEEEK.

so thats it for me. Biggest sign yet to give up with the breast feeding. I cant feed her with one boob as she always feeds of the two and by the time my nipple heals the milk will have stopped coming in it.

might drown my sorrows with a bottle of wine........ so there is the upside!

You poor thing!!

Has your LO been checked for Tongue tie?? Xx

Ouch! I want to give u a massive hug for even getting that far! Fair to say I think I would made the same decision! Not sure if there is a way to combine bf on one side and formula? Until the bad side heals and try again?? Can see why you would chose to save your nipples mind! X

Sounds like you could have mastitis? Def get checked out by GP Hun x

my boobs were so sore today so I pumped and there was no blood. So am giving her expressed milk now, and fed her this morning of the one boob. As I didnt express or feed through the night last night i dont seem to have as much milk as before.

but am glad, cause am not quite ready to give up yet! even though there has just been one problem after the other. if I get to 4 weeks I will be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back