breast milk storage

futuremum

Reaction score
I wanted to know. Last night i expressed 125 ml of milk which took me ages!!! When i tried to feed thomas he did drink about 10 ml and then did not want the bottle anymore and took the breast. the milk stayed in room temp for about 40 minutes then i put it back to the fridge. Can i still use it or do i need to throw it? It is just it took me so long, seems such a waste to waste it!!!

Hi,

Not sure if you heated it up? they say not to reheat it but to be honest I would store it!

I have done this a few times with breast and formula milk. As far as Im concerned breast milk is like gold dust!!!!

Its up to you but I would reuse it

the hospital always said no no no, sorry hun. no difference whether it was heated or not, beast or formula. only keep milk for 1 hour.

It's up to you but personally I wouldn't use it.. is it really worth the risk?

Maybe next time have one larger bottle of breastmilk in the fridge and decant smaller amounts into a bottle to heat a bit at a time?

Sorry for butting in - if you express breast milk and store in the fridge can you heat it up like formula before feeding the baby?

Sorry if I sound really dumb!

Thanks

Lucy
37 + 4

course you can, but after its been in the fridge/freezer you can only re-heat it once before you should throw it.
you dont sound dumb - how do you know if u dont ask eh?

hth xx

Can I just ask something.
When expressing milk throughout the day I know that milk can only be kept for a maximum 12 hours from expressing but can you top up the milk each time within that 12 hour period.
For example if 4oz was expressed at 10am and another 4oz at 4pm can these be added together in the same bottle and reheated as long as used by 12 hours from the first lot of expressed milk or is it best to keep all milk expressed in seperate containers even if only a small amount was produced????

I was told expressed milk can be kept in the fridge for 48 hours???

mdsremos said:
Can I just ask something.
When expressing milk throughout the day I know that milk can only be kept for a maximum 12 hours from expressing but can you top up the milk each time within that 12 hour period.
For example if 4oz was expressed at 10am and another 4oz at 4pm can these be added together in the same bottle and reheated as long as used by 12 hours from the first lot of expressed milk or is it best to keep all milk expressed in seperate containers even if only a small amount was produced????

Yes mixing them would be fine as long as you use the time from the first lot.

I found this:
http://www.kidsource.com/maternal.conn/ ... orage.html

Storage

There are several containers available for storing breastmilk. These include specially designed plastic bags, plastic bottles or glass containers. There are advantages to each.

1. If you are going to freeze your breastmilk, leave some space at the top of the container. Breastmilk, like most liquids, expands as it freezes.

2. When using plastic bags, use those designed for breastmilk collection. Before storing, fold the top several times and seal with freezer or masking tape.

Place smaller bags in a larger bag to help protect against punctures. Medela's CSF bags come with twist ties for easy sealing and don't need to be double bagged.

3. Mark the date and amount on each container.

4. Freeze your milk in two ounce to four ounce portions. Smaller amounts thaw quicker, and you will waste less milk if your baby consumes less than you anticipated.

5. You may continue to add small amounts of cooled breastmilk to the same container throughout the day. Chill in the refrigerator until evening. Then, freeze in appropriate amounts.

6. You may also add to previously frozen milk. First refrigerate all freshly expressed milk until cold, and then add to the frozen milk. The newly added milk must be of a lesser amount than the previously frozen milk.1

7. If you carefully washed your hand before pumpIng or expressing, your breastmilk will be safe for a few hours at room temperature, 68'F. Immediate refrigeration, however, is recommended.2

8. Fresh milk may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 72 hours3 at 39'F.

9. Frozen milk may be stored in the back of the freezer portion of a refrigerator-freezer for up to six months4.

10. Frozen milk may be stored in a -20'C deep freezer for up to 12 months5.

11. Defrosted milk may be kept for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back