Breast milk in fridge!!??

newbump

Reaction score
Hi girls

Just wondered if anyone knows how long breast milk lasts in the fridge once it has been expressed!!!???

Any replys would be great!!!

Natalie x

not to sure on beast milk, but i know formula milk has to be used within 24 hours of making it up

xx

Hi

Just read a breast feeding guide and it says 24 hours but try to keep bottle at the back of the fridge and not in the door, because they will warm up every time you open it.

Louise

Hope this helps:

Express breast milk into a clean container. Refrigerate or freeze it right away. Breast milk will keep up to 48 hours in the refrigerator. It will keep longer if it is frozen. You will waste less milk if you store it in small, small, two- to four-ounce containers. Write the date the milk was expressed on the containers. If you are taking the milk to a caregiver, write your baby's name on the container, too.

How long can I freeze breast milk?

You can store breast milk in the freezer that has a separate door from the refrigerator for up to three months.

Defrost frozen breast milk in the refrigerator for several hours. Or thaw it by running the container under cool water. Don't thaw it by leaving it out at room temperature.

You can refrigerate thawed breast milk for up to 24 hours. It cannot be refrozen.

Never use a microwave oven to defrost breast milk.

Throw away any defrosted and warmed breast milk that the baby doesn't drink. Don't keep it at room temperature.

Don't refrigerate it for later use.

Em xxxx

Thanks girls!!! thats a great help, at least i know what to do now!!!

breast milk only last 24 hrs in the fridge but 3 months in the freezer

Just another question. When do you start expressing? Straight away or after a couple of weeks, i have heard both and do not really know which one is true?

I've been told to leave it a couple of weeks. But I thought that this was more to do with not introducing the baby to teats too early.

Ive been told a couple of weeks, otherwise you can dry up to quickly!!

LouisecH said:
Hi

Just read a breast feeding guide and it says 24 hours but try to keep bottle at the back of the fridge and not in the door, because they will warm up every time you open it.

Louise

It's definately only 24 hours not weeks, ordinary milk would go off in weeks.

I have just watched my Bounty pack breastfeeding DVD and it says breastmilk should be kept in the front of the fridge but not the door for up to 48 hours, and if frozen for up to 3 months.

That DVD is soooo scary i am now petrified of using a breast pump, it looks as though it sucks your whole boob into the pump!! :shock:

kellysomer said:
That DVD is soooo scary i am now petrified of using a breast pump, it looks as though it sucks your whole boob into the pump!! :shock:

It does ;) but it's so good when you express alot, you just can't believe you are producing the stuff!

I had a practice with mine a few weeks ago and I was crying with laughter at first! Honestly I couldn't let DH come near me with it after my first attempt and seeing my breast being sucked into the cup (it's an electric mini medula one). Once I'd got over the initial shock it wasn't too bad, especially on the low setting.

OMG you two are brave i am still not sure i want my nipple sucked off altogether, infact the video was meant to be promoting breast feeding but i think it put me off and i may change my mind to bottle feeding. The poor womans nipple looked dreadful and the video wasnt very encouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back