Breast Feeding

ZoeM1

Reaction score
Q to everyone who is planning to breastfeed....

Are you going to buy a breast pump before you give birth, and if so, which make are you buying / or have you bought? Also, have you bought any bottles and a steriliser to go with it, and if so, how many?

I keep going into shops and looking at them, but I haven't a clue about which is best to buy.

Zo x

I've still got mine from last time. I had the medela mini electric but the electric adapter went kapput on me so i bought the avent isis hand pump, both were good.

I'm not buying a steriliser just yet unless for some reason i can't feed, you won't need bottles just yet unless you're planning on giving formula too as they don't need water when breastfeeding like they do with formula feeding as BF contains milk and water so to speak.

If you're thinking of expressing so OH can bottle feed you'll need to wait about 6 weeks first to get your feeding pattern fully established, you'd be surprised how expressing can mess things about.

I also found that by having formula and bottles etc in the house makes it o easy to give in to the bottle from the breast when times are hard, you will hit hard times but if you can get thru them it will be so worth it.

Hope i've helped in some way

Ive got the Tommee Tipee hand pump,bottles and steriliser as they were all on offer in Tesco so i thought what the heck.

Hi
Have to agree there. I used a medela, found it was good as it had different settings.

I didn't keep bottles either, I just bought sterile breast milk bags - from Mothercare or Boots by Lanolin, and shells to collect milk from other boob whilst feeding.

I froze the milk and then defrosted it when I wanted to go out or for top up at night, sometimes I used syringe to give milk instead of a bottle.

You shouldn't need a steriliser, just a cup of boiling water for the soother :angel:

Hope that helps xx

Nicola g said:
Ive got the Tommee Tipee hand pump,bottles and steriliser

Snap!!

Im thinking of breastfeeding for first few months then BF & bottlefeed so thought I might aswell get them so they're ready :)

I've got everything x 2 which is probably because my dad has his own pharmacy and I just ransack the shelves and get everything from there. Only thing I don't have is a spare husband, just in case :wink:

happy_chick said:
[quote="Nicola g":13cfyi3h]Ive got the Tommee Tipee hand pump,bottles and steriliser

Snap!!

Im thinking of breastfeeding for first few months then BF & bottlefeed so thought I might aswell get them so they're ready :)[/quote:13cfyi3h]

makes 3 !

im also unsure whether ill cope with bf , and im not gonna beat myself up if u dont but will need a couple of bottles here in case ! and they were on offer

got the mircrowave steriliser cos its small , and u can chuck dummys and stuff in it before there first use too

I've got the tommy tippy manual pump and some bottles & steriliser the microwave/cold water type.

got them just incase i cant feed or baby wont take to it.

I've got the tommee tippee sterilizer too and the avent isis manual pump and some other disney bottles! :D

Nicola g said:
Ive got the Tommee Tipee hand pump,bottles and steriliser as they were all on offer in Tesco so i thought what the heck.

And me :D I plan to breastfeed but only short term so planning to introduce bottles early on - even just with water so baby gets used to both - but will see how it goes

We have the Tommee Tippee steriliser and breast pump too. :)

i have tommme tippee and medula breast pump and TT sterliser, and the few bottles that came free with it.

i expressed alot with alana so plan on doing it again.

i bought the avent stuff.. it was a good deal. I plan to bf then express later so OH can do some night feeds. Will see what happens though

my midwife told me not to bother til after LO is here - i want OH to be able to feed at night times etc. but i know we should give it 6 weeks or so to establish milk flow & routine before expressing, and that leaves plenty of time to buy all the stuff. i've been given a barely used pump and a couple of bottles though - but i'm not sure what they are - have just put them away for the time being.

I'm going to really go for breast feeding so I've stayed away from back up plans yet. It's not that I want to beat myself up if it doesn't work but at the same time I want to offer it complete commitment unless my efforts are doing harm to bubs. It's not just for the baby, I want it for me too because I want to baby wear and not have to take as much stuff everywhere we go. I don't want to be always having to wash bottles, buy milk, warm milk etc.

I feel prepared in myself that there will be gliches and that I will be tempted to use bottles as a way round them but that I can access support, from friends, other breast feeders, the midwife team, and here so unless all that fails titty it is!

I don't want to express in the first couple of months or 6 weeks so I'm leaving getting a pump till I'm around ooodles of other mums to get the thumbs up on the easiest. It's something I'd be willing to spend more on to have work well.

happy_chick said:
[quote="Nicola g":2fynrd2q]Ive got the Tommee Tipee hand pump,bottles and steriliser

Snap!!

Im thinking of breastfeeding for first few months then BF & bottlefeed so thought I might aswell get them so they're ready :)[/quote:2fynrd2q]

Snap!! I got mine on offer at tescos a while ago :lol:

I'm currently breastfeeding and have hardly used the steriliser at the moment. I also have only used the breast pump a few times but was worried that giving breast milk by bottle would interefere with feeding. We've got the Avent IQ steriliser and Avent manual pump.

I've got the Tommee Tipee hand pump and Closer to nature bottles x 4. A Boots own make electric sterilisr and 2 bottles that came with that.

I plan to breastfeed but I know that sometimes it doesn't work out as you want so I have my back-up of bottles ready!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back