Breast feeding

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Ttc1234, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Ttc1234

Ttc1234 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give advice or recommend products for breast feeding? This is my first so no idea what I've to buy/what's recommended. Thanks

2. tootie

tootie Well-Known Member

The only thing I would recommend is lansinoh nipple cream, godsend! And lots of breast pads x

Depends if you're planning on expressing but ideally in the first few weeks at least you exclusively breast feed to avoid nipple confusion. The medela breast pump is meant to be very good but I have no personal experience with it x

3. Sarah85e

Sarah85e Well-Known Member

Yes the nipple cream is a must and breast pads. With the breast pads you get what you pay for, some of he cheaper products where useless. we introduced a bottle at 7 weeks to get her used to drinking from a bottle. Just one every few days. So I expressed using the tommee tippee manual pump. I tried the electric one and it didn't work.

I personally would wait and see how you get on with breastfeeding before buying pumps etc.

4. El1en

El1en Well-Known Member

Great to see you're giving breast feeding a go!

The other girls are right lots of cream and pads. I used the lasinoh one and its great. Anything with lanolin in is best. I used tesco pads and had no issues.

After 35 weeks it would be worth going to mothercare and getting fitted for some comfy nursing bras, I also used a cushion for feeding in the early days as my Lo would be on for ages and the cushion helped us both get comfy.

I bought a medela swing pump and started expressing a bit at 4 weeks pp, either so I could freeze it and use it in porridge when Lo was bigger or for a bottle on a day out. The pump and bits (including bottles) came to about £120, expensive but in my mind well worth it

Have a look and see if there's a support group in your area. I got on great and didn't go to the group but I know a lot of people have found them helpful

Good luck

#4 El1en, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  5. Flo1

Flo1 Well-Known Member

Definitely get the lansinoh cream! You'll also need some breastfeeding tops to wear and maybe something to cover your baby when you're feeding in public. A good breastfeeding top should be enough, but my son started looking around instead of drinking when we were with other people. We got a lovely thin blanket from my husband for feeding outside and I'll definitely use it again for this baby.

6. Maud

Maud Well-Known Member

Lansinoh nipple cream is definitely the best and I got through loads in the early weeks. Breastpads are also essential for most people. I used the Tesco ones as they were cheap and readily available but they didn't catch all leaks. I bought lots and lots of cheap oversized vest tops for keeping my tummy covered during feeds - top up, vest down. Well fitting maternity bras are definitely a must and you might want some designed for nightwear if you leak.