Breast feeding workshop

Clairexx

Reaction score
Has anyone been to one yet? I'm going to try one near me today, but am a bit nervous that it will just be lots of new mums sitting around chatting when I'm hoping for some kind of tutorial?!? Xxx

I've got one near me but I don't think I'm gonna go till I have baby... Not sure what goes on there so let me know how it goes. Xx

Tapatalking. X

I've got mine at the end of next month - have spoke to some other women at aquanatal and they said they have been really informative.

They are midwife led and couples attend... Men seem to take it very seriously and they focus on teaching them too .. we will be pulling our hair out so they can step in and advise lol

Hope it's not just a gaggle of women chatting :)

I went - it was an antenatal breastfeeding workshop. It was really good although they were VERY pro breastfeeding and anti bottle. One of the ladies was still breastfeeding her 17 month old and 4 yr old!

I had mine it was 2hrs long up the hospital and my OH came an we loved it!!

About 13 other ladies some brought their partners aswell. A midwife talked about everything and anything u could think of regarding breastfeeding. We learnt loads! Watched a dvd, had knitte boobs to pass around and baby dolls to practise different positions to BF. had leaflets to take away including numbers tocall and drop in centres for u to take ur newborns to chat to other mums an discuss and issues u have. And another dvd aswell.

I learnt so much! Xx

I went - it was an antenatal breastfeeding workshop. It was really good although they were VERY pro breastfeeding and anti bottle. One of the ladies was still breastfeeding her 17 month old and 4 yr old!

WSS very pro BFing!
She did discuss that not everyone will do it and have problems n not to wok urself up if u cant.
But i told her i have bought bottles and the TT starter kit and breast pump. She looked confused and asked why if i want to BF!?
I said well incase i cant! An if i can id like to express so my OH can help feed and bond!

She said thats ok but wasnt happy i bought it now cos she thinks having it in the house will make me want to give up!!! And not to express till week 4/5 .. Thats fair enough but dnt be put off by some things they say! Xxx

Thanks ladies, got massively delayed at the garage getting my headlight changed...(car wouldn't start after so took ages to work out why) so I've missed going for this week! This is just a breastfeeding thing that goes on every week and is a drop in, so I'm wondering if I should look specifically for a antenatal one?? Otherwise it defo is gonna be a load of women chatting isn't it.. Haha... Xxx

Ohhh that sounds like the one ud go to after uve had ur baby.
Check with ur midwife cos its different in diff areas. Some are held in patent craft rooms up ur hosp mine was on the antenatal unit.
Some are held in community halls or lesuire centres aswell. But its an antenatal one ull want.

Xxx

It says on the website that mums to be are welcome, but it still sounds like just a bit of a get together doesn't it.. Mmm... Yes good idea I see her next week so will remember to ask then. She gave me a list for general antenatal classes but I'm not going to any as I'm not sure I'd learn anything new, and they're too late and my boy has football on those evenings so can't do both. Was your class separate to your normal antenatal? It would be useful to know what the topics were each week actually as they run in groups of 4. Xxx

yeah i didnt go to any antenatal classes either hun.They are all up the council leisure centres. The breastfeeding workshop was up my hospital in the antenatal unit and they have parent craft meeting rooms.

Check on your hospitals website if u haven't already. Im in a really big hospital. University Hospital Of Wales in Cardiff. Not sure if all hosps offer same services xxx

If you really want to bf the. It's totally worth going before baby arrives. It's not easy in the early days, that's when you can have problems and may want to give up, but it's not exactly easy to get to a group with baby who's days old.

Many people will tell you they 'couldn't bf, but realistically the number of women who physically can't Is something like 1%, the real reason is they didn't have the correct information.

For example, Many people don't realise that cluster feeding is normal and doesn't mean baby isn't getting enough, the top up with formula and supply drops. Others don't realise that milk doesn't come in till day 3/4 or later, but colostrum is more than enough to start.
I only managed to feed with the help of nipple shields for the first 4months, I now know that it's likely my LO had a lip tie.

It's totally worth getting info before hand. I firmly believe in the 4th trimester - we follow all sorts of rules while we carry these little ones and bf has so many benefits for them that IMO we owe it to them to try, and any info that can help you do that is worth it (think about how much you check what foods you can't eat, or which pram to buy!)

Sorry for the rant - but a lack of decent education about bf in this country is a personal peeve of mine. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

^WSS
there are very few problems that cant be sorted by some good advice and a bit of stubborness (read a LOT of stubborness) when it comes to breast feeding. i combi fed because lo was too sleepy and didnt feed properly at first to the point where i was putting formula in her just to give her the energy to stay awake, if id known to wake her up after 2 hours the first week or so when she wasnt waking to feed herself properly then id have had better success and despite that and a 2 month long fight with thrush i still breastfed until after she turned 1 yr.
most abbies dont need to be woken for feeds it just happened my lg got into a cycle of sleeping too long and then didnt have the energy to feed, fell back asleep and then got worse so i know what to look out for this time. that was totally on me for not seeking help earlier.

Arm yourself with info. I was in that 2 % that have low supply, my first was combi fed because he wasnt getting enough milk. But with my second i was armed and so far so good. Lots of perseverance is the key, its doable, women just dont have the confidence.
My niece was a month early and her mum.was in intensive care for 4 days and didnt see her daughter until day 2, she was formula fed in.the beginning because there was no other choice but she is exclusively breastfed now. My SIL even had a laparoscopy recently. It never occured to me not to try but it can be tough in the beginning with tiredness/sore nipples/cluster feeding etc

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Thanks ladies, definitely want to get as much info as possible as I didnt get any last time (even though I went to every class the midwife told me to).. So am just hoping there is a proper breastfeeding place I can go to, otherwise I'll just have to read up on it as much as poss to get all the hints and tips. I combo fed last time but not for very long as I dried up where I wasn't doing it enough/properly. I think I just assumed it would come naturally and be an easy and obvious thing but I now know it isn't! Xxxx

I went last week. Mine was an antenatal one so no new mums were there. We are encouraged to bring partners so most did and one lady brought her mum. I found it really really good. I am planning BF anyway but it did give me lots of helful advice and made me more positive about the whole thing.

there should be some local breastfeedign groups youcan go to aswell, i know it may seem daunting not having a baby with you but they really like new mambers and get really excited at impending arrivals. pregnant women are always welcome at our local groups and its much easier to find them and go meet everybody before you have the baby and have a problem than when your tired and struggling and worried. id deffo advise that you at least look up where and when they are, i have 3/ 4 seperate groups available in my area and they are a godsend, i still attend now and will carry on after having baby too even if i dont have any problems this time

I went before my boy arrived to say hello and it was good to see people and have a chat about.things. Didnt feel daunting going in after he was born

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Thanks for the advice ladies, it's good to hear how useful they can be. Hope my local ones are the same! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back