breast feeding help!

dee

Reaction score
just needed a little advise my baby is 10 days old but was 4 and a half weeks early and i'm trying to breast feed him but i've only managed to get him latched on and feeding a couple of times i'm having to bottle feed him as he gets so stressed, its like he doesn't have the sucking strength to keep the nipple in his mouth and he just falls asleep after a few sucks and falls off or gets really stressed and screams his little head off, or could it be my nipples are not big enough for him to keep in his mouth? this is so frustrating for both of us,

advise please :?

I doubt if your nipples are too small. i have heard that some premature baby's have problems latching on. I would ask your MW or HV for advice for latching baby on, or phone the NCT helpline, they are very good. Good luck x

NCT Breastfeeding line - 0870 4448708

Hi Dee

My baby was 7 weeks early and I know exactly how you feel.
The suck doesn't develop fully until about 37/8 weeks (pregnancy) and breastfeeding takes more from the baby than bottle feeding which is why you're having problems.

I would breastfeed Zara and then I owuld tube feed her whilst she lay against me so that she associated food with close contact. Sometimes she only managed a couple of sucks but now she's fully breastfed.

Maybe you could keep trying to breast feed your baby then top him up with the bottle. You should get there in the end but it does take a lot of effort :roll: .

Good luck whatever you decide :D

Louise

Thanx Louise
i am still trying i am putting him to the breast before every bottle and he does try bless him :D and i just got an electric breast pump to help so he can have more of breast milk than bottle milk and he seems to drink more breast than bottle which i'm pleased about, i will do it in the end i'm really stubborn :lol:

dee said:
Thanx Louise
i am still trying i am putting him to the breast before every bottle and he does try bless him :D and i just got an electric breast pump to help so he can have more of breast milk than bottle milk and he seems to drink more breast than bottle which i'm pleased about, i will do it in the end i'm really stubborn :lol:

Aww sounds like you're doing really well! keep it up he'll get the hang of it in the end! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back