Breast feeding and tattoos

Sarah13

Reaction score
Ive got one booked for next week that was originally booked when I was pregnant so I changed it, my tattooist has a 9 month waiting list so I've been waiting about a year now. Do you think I should still get it as I'm exclusively breastfeeding? I hate the thought of another 9 month wait but I don't know whether it's ok when breastfeeding? What do you think, should I just cancel it?

I can't see why it would be a problem while BFing?? I don't think I would've even thought about it if it were me lol

As in - I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem while BFing I'd have just gone ahead with the tattoo!

I spoke to the tattooist and didn't know either! The advice online is a bit conflicting, think it's prob safe unless you catch something but if your going to a decent shop that won't be an issue

I think that as long as the tattooist is reputable (which he obviously is with a waiting list like that!), then I wouldn't worry too much. Especially as he knows your concerns so will probably be extra cautious with sterilising everything :)
What are you having done?

Id be a little cautious, purely because they make you wait a year after a tattoo to give blood. But I'm saying that not having read advice online. Could you phone a couple of different tattoo shops and ask them??

Xxx

Id be a little cautious, purely because they make you wait a year after a tattoo to give blood.

Xxx

I got told 6 months till you could give blood? Not that I ever got to give blood anyway cos then I fell pregnant :)

I've had quite a lot of work done there over the years so I totally trust him. Was really wanting to start a half sleeve but my hubby hates them on women so Ill probably end up getting my other foot done unless I can change his mind in the next few days lol!

I waited a year before getting another. Believe me it was hard!! Your body needs a lot of time and energy to heal a tat well, and while you're exclusively breast feeding most of your energy will be taken up by that. There's also the risk of infection, which you could be more prone to because as before, your body will produce milk for your baby before it concentrates on you. Personally I would wait hon, sorry x

Thanks Inky. I had a chat with my friend yesterday about it and she also said def wait for now too so I'm going to cancel :( TBH I don't know what or where anyway as hubby still against the sleeve so I would just be getting something because of the appointment which is also a bit silly. Another 9 months won't hurt!

Id be a little cautious, purely because they make you wait a year after a tattoo to give blood.

Xxx

I got told 6 months till you could give blood? Not that I ever got to give blood anyway cos then I fell pregnant :)

Its possibly another one of those things thats different between scotland and england. Def a year up here. A year from a tattoo, peircing or having a baby. I actually gave blood while i was pregnant - just didnt know i was. ooops!

xxx

I was gonna ask about this.. There's alot of conflicting advice online.. Having a shitty time atm so usually get a tattoo to make me feel better.. I'm gonna have to wait aren't I :(

They cheer me up too and Im impatient! I've decided to wait for now not worth it, if it healed crap I would be annoyed or if anything happened with my milk supply i would be gutted esp as Kynon still refuses a bottle. Guess we can spend the extra time thinking of a really cool tattoo that will remind us of this special time!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Same here!! Dying to get one! I'm getting Lilyannas footprint (inkless kit in hospital was wicked!) to cover an existing tatt on my belly.. You've probably seen it on my bump pics lol! And another on my ankle going on to my foot.. What are you getting?x

I wanted to start a sleeve but my OH hates them so at least I've got more time to talk him round! If i can't I'll probably have my other foot done with something. Those print kits are great. I use them to make the mini silver hand and foot print charms just got round to trying Kynons!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

They are wicked little things I might get one :)
Ah if u want a sleeve go get one! I'm sure you can talk him round! My OH hates my tattoos but he met me with them so he can't complain lol! They are a part of me and each one has a meaning.. I had 11 before I was 18 it was my way of self harm without the ugly scars.. They are a reminder of what I've been thru and my new ones are how far I've come :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back