Breast and bottle

Lulla Bell

Reaction score
Newly preggo here, Im dying to be able to BF my baby, However I've witness loads of friends solely BF and then been a milking machine for over a year.
who's BF and expressed and fed from a bottle from day one? like swapping it up every day? Id want to be able to let the husband feed it when he wants and id like to be able to go back to work and not worry about weening too early. thanks x

Iv been expressing from day 1 and breast feeding. I wanted hubby to be able to feed her plus if i was wearing certain clothes I was unable to feed in so would take a bottle. My baby is 1 next month andI'm still doing it. I also give formula sometimes if iv not been able to express for what ever reason. Iv also had a friend who only expressed but it was tough she was forever expressing to give it from a bottle. They don't recommend you do it till baby is used to be but my baby need top ups as she was jaundice she she had to have bottle. She did really struggle though and i think its because i used both she didnt know what was what.

Okay so it could just be a case of trial and error ? Bf has been the thing that's been stressing me out the most haha

It's definitely trial and error Lulla. I breastfed my son and he had bottles and a dummy from the start. I really wanted to breastfeed but I also didn't want to be tidied down to his side every minute of every day. My husband have one bottle at night (the overnight feed) and he took either bottle or breast great. I know I was so lucky as this isn't always the case but I was grateful. He was using my nipples as a dummy too which I refused to do (especially because they were agony) so he got a dummy too. My friends 1 year old doesn't have a dummy and uses her nipple as one allll night long. Sack that! I know it's personal choice but I'll do it the same way again this time. Honestly though, don't stress. Just tell yourself you'll give it a try and do your best. Being a mummy is hard enough without adding more stress to yourself xxx

Generally they say to establish breastfeeding first for, say, the first 6 weeks. That way your breasts get used to production and you know the baby is getting what is needed and is adjusting your supply by suckling.
I started expressing around then so dad could join in. Took her a while to accept milk from a bottle and I had to just be well out of the room for it to work!
Did about 1 expressed feed a day for around 3 months and then couldn't be arsed anymore - such a pain to have to sterilise pump and bottles, sit there expressing for ages to get any decent amount, warm up refrigerated milk before use... easier to just whip out a boob and have done haha!
Hope it goes well for you - good luck and congrats! :)

I do breast and bottle and have done pretty much from day dot. I've also given a dummy.

My lo has no issue swapping between them - I bf first and then top up with formula after.

In regards to expressing, I simply can't!! I get more by hand than I do on the pumps but I've only got 3mls at most! My baby obviously gets way more than that and it seems my boobs won't give it up for anyone but her! Lol!

XX

im 30 weeks and will attempt breast.. god knows how because i hate my boobs being touched.. my partner thinks i should try it but also is aware of how much i dislike the feel of them being touched.. lol i sound strange.. lol

anyway we bought some bottles as a back up lol

I started breastfeeding my first baby but had a lot of problems with thrush and basically two weeks in she was getting so distressed I started expressing and feeding her from the boob where I could, I was determined I didn't want to use formula if I could express so I carried on. Long story but no one diagnosed the thrush until 8 weeks and by that point she was having expressed milk at almost every feed. The only feeds she wouldn't have a bottle was night time because it was like she didn't notice the taste or whatever it was that was bothering her about the thrush at those times. But at 10 weeks she did her last night feed (I know I was very lucky to have had a breast fed baby slee through from 10 weeks! I've since had one that never sleeps through). So I exclusively expressed for 8 months then switched to formula as I was pregnant with my second baby by that point and my milk dried up.

Second baby would not take a bottle - later turned out it was because he had an undiagnosed lip tie which didn't relax enough until he was 9 months and that's when he took a bottle and I switched to formula at that point. This meant that I had to throw away about 600oz of frozen expressed milk because it went out of date and he would never take it. If you express you'll know how devastating that would be!

Expressing for me was horrible, I was so determined I did it anyway but sometimes I would he sat in tears doing it because I too am not a massive fan of my nipples being touched, they are a bit hyper sensitive. I never get like that when I breastfeed though so it's weird. My one tip for any pain when expressing would be to put some lansinoh nipple cream on before you express as it stops some of the friction between you and the pump and is totally safe for a baby so doesn't matter that obviously tiny amounts would get into expressed milk x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back