breakfast before bottle?

Lynds77

Reaction score
When do you start giving porridge before a bottle?

Freya still gets her bottle when she gets up and 90 mins later gets her porridge

This morn she only took 4oz so am wondering whether to give her porridge first then offer a bottle an hour later?

My lo didn't drop milk first thing until well past 1, even now she'll sometimes have juice or milk before she wants her breakfast
If I offered breakfast first she didn't eat a lot and would be hungry soon after, you just need to find what works best for your lo and go with that. :)

We just went with what worked for Alyssa, and for the last 5/6 months or so, she's been having breakfast when she gets up then first bottle mid-morning. We find it works much better for her as she wasn't finishing her bottle first thing. So she has fruit or cereal for breakfast (porridge if she's at my mums!) at around 8 then full bottle (7oz) around half 10/11 o'clock. Then she has her lunch around 1, and her next bottle at half 3/4 o'clock and dinner then bottle then sometimes another bottle if she's up particularly late (which she usually is!!).

Just do what works for you rather than what you think 'should' be done xx

I give Harry 6oz of cows milk when he wakes up (can be between 6 and 8) then I put him back down in his cot. When he wakes again I give him his breakfast (weetabix or Cheerios). He has a second 6oz bottle at bedtime but messes about with it and won't take much! People keep saying I should be dropping his morning feed now he's a year old and that he should just be having one milk feed a day but he loves his morning milk! X

I can't see how anything is more nutritious and hydrating than milk first in the morning so I actually doubt I will ever offer breakfast before milk?
She will always be offered a bottle/glass of milk and if she wants breakfast too she is most welcomed to have some.

We do milk at 7 breakfast at 8-9 sometimes she drinks just a little milk sometimes she dosent drink much at all, sometimes it the while bottle.

I don't like the idea of porridge though at morning so I suppose if Freya eats porridge with milk you may as well offer her that first?

Amelie usually has a cheese and ham sandwich or an omelet or pancakes etc.

Yesterday she had a cheese and ham sandwich (1/2 of it) a couple of slices of tomato and cucumber and some blueberries
Today she had an omelet with onion, tomato, mushrooms and peppers and a banana drop scone.
Tomorrow she is having a spinach muffin and blueberries and apricots.

I am Scottish Hope. We love our porridge! I have started mashing a few strawberries and raspberries in it though and she just loves it. Its full of goodness too (I use a quinoa and oat one)

she has gone back to finishing her morning bottle again so I will just carry on as we are now. I really cant see her dropping any of her 3 bottles anytime soon. Even her mid afternoon one goes down well.

Amelie sounds like an amazing little eater now. Good girl! x

I always like a drink before breakfast, so I guess our babies might be thirsty too? I have been wondering about this as know some mums who give breakfast before milk, but I think I will stick with milk before breakfast now :) xx

Just the past few days we've started giving bethan readybrek first then 7oz around 9am. She has some water when she wakes up.

Our reason was that she wasnt eating or drinking enough of either food or milk. Since swapping things round she's back up to 21oz of milk and eating most of her food x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I just wonder when to "wean" her of bottles full stop

2 of my friends have 1 year olds and both of them only have 1 bedtime bottle a day

They said they just stopped giving milk?

I weaned seren off her bottle by the time she was 1. I cant actually remember how I did it! I think I just gave her formula in a sippy cup and went cold turkey. I still gave her some milk on my lap at bedtime for a few nights then gave her some milk downstairs and popped her into bed and hoped she'd settle herself. Fortunately she did!

I plan to do the same again. .partly because I am so fed up of bottles now. 2 months to go! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I am happy to give her bottles as long as she wants them but I just wonder from what age "should" they be able to get all their nutrition from a healthy balanced diet

We have moved to follow on milk and she doesnt take as much of it as she did reflux milk

When we changed to cows milk at 11 months we stopped bottles, easy at that! Now if she has milk it has to be in a nuby cup as that's what she started drinking her cows milk in :)

1 year olds should get most of their nutrition from solids and milk no more than 500 ml per day (in Norway at least...)

They say that after 1 year old you should offer milk in a baker instead of a bottle but I am not going to attempt that any day soon as she barely drinks any milk if I put it in a baker she will not drink at all.
For us bottle it is until she is 3 or so lol

I am happy to give her bottles as long as she wants them but I just wonder from what age "should" they be able to get all their nutrition from a healthy balanced diet

We have moved to follow on milk and she doesnt take as much of it as she did reflux milk

Hi Hun

We are a long way from stopping bottles yet. But we have started weaning and J is now on the follow on milk. The milk says as long as baby is on a varied diet whilst on that milk it's fine. So she's probably at the stage of she's getting enough from her food. I imagine she will guide you when she's ready but it's good to know a rough age I guess.

My dental nurse had said that once LO is 1 and onto cows milk they should be on a beaker/tall sippy with hard teet to discourage the sucking act which in long term may damage the teeth.

Your HV and Dental nurse will be able to help you out most likely xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back