Boys' names!

SiameseCatLady

Reaction score
We have literally hundreds of girls' names that we could use happily if our littlie is a girl. We're not going to find out what it is before it happens, but we have no idea on boys' names.
Well, I have a name that I would use in an instant, Finlay, and it would be Finlay David, but my DH hates Finlay with a passion, so not happening. :wall2:
We sort of like Ash, but it won't be that!
And we sort of like Hugo, but don't want it shortened to Hugh or lengthened to Hughie, which puts me off!
Am convinced we will have a boy because we have no names!
Any ideas. I guess I am quite picky. I don't like double barrelled names or ultra modern names like Kayden or Jayden. It's middle name will 99.9% be David as it's both of our dads' names.
Any ideas?! I am sort of traditional, but don't want it to be something you'd hear every day!
Names my OH has vitoed: (I like these, but he doesn't... He's the main problem!)
Finlay Jack Harry Henry George
Finn Oscar Quinn
I thought this bit would be fun, but it's really got me to the point that I don't think we'll be able to name it if it's a boy!

Last edited:
We had the same issue - had one girls name we both loved and really struggled with boys. I was convinced my lo was a girl so wasn't too worried - it was a shock when my boy was born and he was nameless for a while! Our boy's shortlist was James, Noah and Henry - we went for James as I thought Noah was becoming too popular, ironically James was the most popular name of 2015! I also like Jude but oh didn't. What about Jacob or Toby? xx

Brian, Jason, Jenson, Brandon, Ryder, Scott, Jayden, Harvey, Craig. Just a few of my favourite apart from Tyler and Oisín which are my boys xx

I'd go with Jack from your list. Plus then his first and middle name initials would be JD which sounds cool lol.

I like Oscar too. But not keen on the others.
I think I prefer more modern sounding names, I always associate Henry, George etc with old men lol. :oops:

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I like Jack, but not going to happen as OH vitoed all of those names above!
Rubbish. Still no closer!

We had the same issue - had one girls name we both loved and really struggled with boys. I was convinced my lo was a girl so wasn't too worried - it was a shock when my boy was born and he was nameless for a while! Our boy's shortlist was James, Noah and Henry - we went for James as I thought Noah was becoming too popular, ironically James was the most popular name of 2015! I also like Jude but oh didn't. What about Jacob or Toby? xx

I relay like Toby, but OH says no and not keen on Jacob as it's 'biblical'! Told you I was picky :-(

I like George from your list and I also like jack, wanted to name my boy jack however oh didn't want it so we decided on Riley at the time no one had it. I'm also going to struggle if it's a boy this time lol, got loads of girls names however I don't really like boys names ! , x

Can't help as we're having the same issue with boy's name- got tons of girl's names lined up. Try the website nameberry for inspiration x

I really like Harry, but I know loads of people with kids called Harry so I personally wouldn't choose it in future & OH vitoed it last time. Oscar is cute, too. I like Quinn, that's quite unusual but not too 'out there'

My OH didn't like our daughters name to start with, then he grew to love it & I went off it. :dohh:

Now we've named her it, I love it again. :)

Last edited:
I'd go with Jack from your list. Plus then his first and middle name initials would be JD which sounds cool lol.

I have a Jackson Derek (Derek after my dad). My OH and his dad are David and thats hard enough so no more Davids. OHs initials are DJ FIL is DJ and Jacksons is JD. They are all a few days apart in birthdays too. Quite odd :lol:

I have tonnes of boys but I really like surnames as first names, so a lot of options. Finlay is cute. I love Fraser but OH hates that and I can never imagine that as our name.

I have a suspicion ours is a girl and I have no names other than a middle name, Angelic after my gran who was half polish. Cant begin with an A because the surname is A, I dont fancy having a AAA :lol:

I hear pretty names and can love them but just not as our girls name. Its annoying. I think OH will be hard if it is a girl. Jackson he was pretty much sold on, but I see some battles ahead.

I like Jack, but Jackson is never shortened. I see them as diff names but still like Jack and Jake. Also quite like Oscar from your list or perhaps Oliver? Im rubbish at guessing for others. Names are tricky and personal.

Good luck on your boy quest, if it is a boy Im sure if you dont have one yet youll see him and just know.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back