Bottles, teats, confusion

kittykitchn

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my head around something new everyday, and trying to decide which to buy. Today is bottles.

I know I want anti-colic, and it's between the classic Avent newborn or MAM self-sterilising.
I've fallen in love with the MAM range, they're so pretty, and the teats look fantastic and realistic. The Avent look completely the opposite - but my worry with the MAM teats is that baby would become fussy with any other design or shape? Whereas the Avent are a very much normal, run of the mill shape.

Secondly, is it worth getting the MAM for the self-sterilising function? and then not buy a seperate steriliser?

There's also the Avent and Tommee Tippee closer to nature brands, but I don't want to confuse the situation any further!

Lastly, how many bottles should I have? I was thinking 4 small (125ml) and 4 larger (260ml) - or more?

We went with the tomee tipee and Avent bottles. I actually preferred the Avent. But havent tried the MAM ones, I suppose some babies might think hang on that teat is diff but eventually take to it, if you had to use another teat.

I havent had self sterilize but then I put everything in my sterilizer, teething toys, a dummy, baby rattle etc so I loved having the sterilizer for the range of things I put in it. I dont think Id trust a bottle to kill germs on its own but Ive never used them so wouldnt know..

I needed loads of bottles. We had like 10 small 10 bigger. I kept pretty much on top of mine, but sometimes if their in the sterilizer and you need one now, its good to have extra! Plus they grow legs.. Some may think the more you have the more to clean?

xxxx

Last edited:
I have the mam self sterilise bottles and I love them and my lg who was bf for the first 2 weeks loves the shape of the teat. I had bought Tommy tippee bottles but the teat didn't work for my lg. but each baby is different.

Regarding the self sterilising it is handy if you are at family or friends for longer than you plan but at home I use my steriliser.

I have 6 big bottles and only 2 small which worked well for me

If you want anti colic Dr Browns are renowned for it. I use them and have 7 large bottles - my lo is 5 months and has 6 bottles in 24 hours so it means I only have to wash them once a day. Until recently I only had 4 and felt like I was constantly washing bottles which to be honest is time you don't have especially with a newborn. My lo was mainly breastfed until 8 weeks so I only had a couple of the small bottles. I had a couple of small mam bottles as well which I got free, I found them a bit of a faff to put together and had a few leaking incidents when the bottom wasn't put together correctly and found them fiddly to wash. Having said that lots of people think Dr Browns are a faff as well. My lo had breast, dummy, Mam and Dr Browns in the first few weeks and took all of them fine but I might have just been lucky x

We use a range of bottles - we bought some and got given some. Jackson had colic and we found the tommee tippee ones best but it's very much trial and error. Now we just use them all, he isn't fussy about tears etc probably as we tried so many.
We've got an avent microwave steriliser but we bung all the brands of bottles, toys etc in it.
Jackson is on 5 feeds a day now so we have 5 plus one spare (in case a teat gets dropped and needs sterilising again ) and another for in change bag. At first we had about 8 of varying sizes

We used the closer to nature to begin with but my LG has reflux so we moved onto Dr Brown's without any issues. They are expensive but worth every penny to us. We have 8 bottles.

Used avent with both babies (one had silent reflux and one had colic) and the bottles were great.

We use cold water sterilization which imo is easier than other methods as it keeps everything sterile even after its opened.

In terms of bottles, the small ones are a waste! Go straight for the normal size bottles. We only have 4 bottles and it's been fine.

We actually used TT and he got colic.

Moved to Dr Browns & he was a different baby.

So we have bought Dr Browns again.

Last edited:
I've breastfed both of mine but once I stopped feeding my son we used tt and he was fine with them. I'm still feeding my daughter but occasionally give her a bottle and she will on,h take mam bottles. Mam are super handy for if I leave her with people as they can sterilise the bottle if she wants one and only takes a few minutes. It maybe worth only buying a few bottles at first in case baby doesn't like them.

I used tt with my son and he was fine with them, I used them whilst breastfeeding to express and when he went onto formula.

My little girl was a fussy one at first, we were in nicu and tried the Medela calma and sges wouldn't take it but took instantly to a nuk, when we brought her home we tried to get nuk bottle but couldn't get them anywhere where we live and hadn't got the time to order them online. So I bought tt again and she took to them pretty well only issue we have was milk would constantly leak out of her mouth whilst drinking them and another lady I knew had the same problem and it was solved when she switched to avent so I switched too and not has a problem with that since.
I wouldn't bother with small bottles either and just get plenty of big 6-8 so you only have to wash and steralise once a day as like someone else said there's not much time to continue to do it. I have a tt steam steraliser, had a microwavable one last time but hated it, if I could have my choice again I would use the cold water Milton boxes as it's much easier I found when using them in nicu.
My sister used avent with all 3 of her children and swears by them xxx

I would suggest just buying 4 small to start with and if she gets on ok with them then buy between 6-8 of the bigger ones. Some babies just don't take to certain bottles so would be a shame to waste the money. They aren't on the small bottles that long so 4 would prob be enough but like someone else said having more big ones saves a lot of time cause you can just do it in the morning or night and have enough to last a full day x

Do yourself a favour and buy Dr. browns! I bought mams, the teats are hard to get hold off and expensive.. The amount of times the bottle starts pissing leaking milk down the bottom is ridiculous! All the silocone is a pain to clean, there's forever milk in the groves and stuff.. I'm talking bottom of the bottle. They look good but they're ff**(** shit to use.. especially if they start pouring milk in public! My son wouldn't take any other after I got them.. Same with the dummies avoid like the plague.. Hard to get hold off and my son wouldn't ever go past the 0+ ones.. I'd go for either avent or nuk as they're both quite available..

I'm trying to get my head around something new everyday, and trying to decide which to buy. Today is bottles.

I know I want anti-colic, and it's between the classic Avent newborn or MAM self-sterilising.
I've fallen in love with the MAM range, they're so pretty, and the teats look fantastic and realistic. The Avent look completely the opposite - but my worry with the MAM teats is that baby would become fussy with any other design or shape? Whereas the Avent are a very much normal, run of the mill shape.

Secondly, is it worth getting the MAM for the self-sterilising function? and then not buy a seperate steriliser?

There's also the Avent and Tommee Tippee closer to nature brands, but I don't want to confuse the situation any further!

Lastly, how many bottles should I have? I was thinking 4 small (125ml) and 4 larger (260ml) - or more?

I have MAM self sterilising bottles, I absolutely love them! Ive just stopped using the anti colic ones and hve gone onto the normal 11oz bottles, my LO took to these bottles best so wouldnt choose anything else now! I started using tommee tippee when I first stopped BF and he hated them, I had a battle everytime I fed him so switched these bottles and he's never had a problem with them! they are on sale in toys r us at the moment btw xxx

I've bought an Avent starter pack which has 2x 125ml and 2x 260ml. I'm going to buy extra bottles now - should I just buy the larger ones? Can I use them with newborns? Just fill them half way or whatever. Would I need to buy different teats (newborn flow teats) than the ones that come with (slow-flow teats I believe)?
It's a minefield!!

Youll probably use the small ones until baby starts taking more milk which will be a few months in.

You can use the big ones, but theyll contain more air.

xxxx

I wouldn't worry about buying too many bottles too soon. My LG rejected the avent ones as caused too much wind for her. Had to try 3/4 different types before we settled on the tommee tippee and lanisoh bottles. I think they usually come with newborn /slow teats to start if a starter pack just check the teats, they usually have a number on them.

Last edited:
As Lucy said, we tried 3 brands before we found one that suited LO.

As above don't buy too many as they may not suit baby we found this with nappies as well. Get a few basics of each thing, items are always on sale/offer or you could end up spending more tuam u need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back