Bottles, milk & dummy. Growing up?!

Em91

Reaction score
O is one next week so i am starting to think about getting rid of the bottle before changing to cows milk.
Shes still having 15ozs a day spread over 3 bottles as well as 3meals & 2snacks (how shes only 18lb i dont know). few questions,
What sort of cup did you use for milk? we seem to have a wide array of sippy cups etc. from free flow to anti spill etc as well a doidy cup.
She doesnt get on with the doidy cup and just tips it up so i wouldnt want to give her milk from that. I tried with this one this morning. its a sports cap type thing do you think its alright? or to similar to a bottle... uploadfromtaptalk1373971229525.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373971239147.jpg.

also with the transition to cows milk did you just offer all feeds straight away or mix formula with full fat for a while?

O only has her dummy for sleep and it stays in her cot, but again id like to start getting rid of that to... IMO i cant stand seeing toddlers with dummys! how did you go about getting rid, lots of tears?? I have 4 weeks off over the summer so ideally id like to be cruel and by sept when she goes back to the childminder her be having cows milk from a cup & have no dummy, Expecting to much? :s

Tia xx

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

With Destiny we gradually introduced cows milk mixed in with her formula. it took a few weeks but shes solely on cows milk now at nearly 15 months. She also uses a sippy cup for every drink, they are tommee tippy ones but have a valve so she still has to suck, she would spill it everywhere otherwise. This was gradually introduced starting with baby juice as she loved that. it took a while but shes got it now, she is now getting the hang of drinking through a straw as well lol.
Destiny doesnt really use a dummy but with our eldest we just took it away at around 2 and told her that the fairys needed them for thier babies. it took a few nights of crying and us "asking" the fairies if we could borrow it but it worked.

Good luck x

We tried Jack on cow's milk in his bottle at a year but he hated it. We waited a few weeks then tried again and he accepted it really well?! He had his bottle until Christmas when he was 18 months old and then I stared putting it into his Nuby cup. He has the one Olivia has the your pics for his juice. He now has 12oz of milk in his Nuby cup before bed.

He's just turned 2 and has a dummy, in fact he takes 3 to bed with him, one for each hand too lol. He'd have it stuck in all day if I let him it gets taken off of him when he wakes up and he only has it for nap/bedtime and if he's poorly. He's having surgery in the near future for his tongue tie and until he's fully recovered we don't plan on weaning him off of it. I predict a few cries for a few nights at bedtime because he adores it but i'd defo like it gone by Christmas. Luckily Harry has a different brand and he won't touch it x

Cows milk I did by giving it in her breakfast since 6 months and as a drink I just swapped straight over and hoped for the best.
As for cups my lo wont try it at home but uses them at nursery so were in bottles stil and as for the dummy im trying to wean her slowly but theonly plafenshe wont have it is nursery x

Thanks ladies, shes been having cows milk on cereal etc since 6mths. Its just getting her to drink it!

Thinking maybe im being to harsh with the dummy?! :-/
x

Aww I can't believe our babies are 1 this week Em! There are only a few days between Harry and Olivia and I'm worrying about cows milk/what to put it in/how warm to make it! He's got the sports bottle like yours and has been taking his formula out of it for a few weeks now but it comes out so fast he tends to gag a bit! X

Nothing more to add apart from she's just gorgeous. I could squidge her for ages and ages xx

Hey hun, I'm not quite at this stage yet buut my dental nurse had said when J's drinking and soon as he's able to use a sippy/bottle it should be a hard teet. Something to do with the teeth and how the rubber ones teats are similar to bottles, which obv your trying to move her on from.

I know there's loads the market, and I know not every HV/dental nurse is right but I'm jst passing on the info. If your interested in my advice your prob best to ask the dentist or dental nurse because they'd prob be able to shed some more light on why not to use the rubber teeted bottles as apposed to the hard teats.

xxxxx

Last edited:
that one is a hard teat its plastic where she actually puts her mouth its just got a little rubber thing like the inside of a lucozade bottle to stop it spilling which is inside which is why i was unsure thanks for the advice tho i will have a chat to them next time im at the dentist

cant add anything but just want to say she is lovely!!!!

Yeah I'm sure the hard teat bottle is fine. I have a tomee tipee sipee and its a silacone teat but I'm sure its the sucking action that affects the teeth that u get with prolonged use of dummies & bottles so they gave me a free sippee that turns into a little cup/beaker when he's older its great.

xxxxx

O only has her dummy for sleep and it stays in her cot, but again id like to start getting rid of that to... IMO i cant stand seeing toddlers with dummys! how did you go about getting rid, lots of tears??

Had a 'trial' no dummy day the other day, it wasn't good at all. She only has it for the car and naps/bedtime, but tried going cold turkey and it wasn't good. I'm going to have to do it gradually. I'm a firm believer in the no-tears approach, as it's scientifically proven that when babies are left to cry it damages their emotional development. People can choose to do it with their child if they want, I just won't be one of them.

No 100% sure how to approach is, as I too hate seeing toddlers with dummies, but I figure if it's just for naps or bedtimes then it's not too bad, then when she's old enough to comprehend the concept they'll go to the dummy fairy.

O only has her dummy for sleep and it stays in her cot, but again id like to start getting rid of that to... IMO i cant stand seeing toddlers with dummys! how did you go about getting rid, lots of tears??

Had a 'trial' no dummy day the other day, it wasn't good at all. She only has it for the car and naps/bedtime, but tried going cold turkey and it wasn't good. I'm going to have to do it gradually. I'm a firm believer in the no-tears approach, as it's scientifically proven that when babies are left to cry it damages their emotional development. People can choose to do it with their child if they want, I just won't be one of them.

No 100% sure how to approach is, as I too hate seeing toddlers with dummies, but I figure if it's just for naps or bedtimes then it's not too bad, then when she's old enough to comprehend the concept they'll go to the dummy fairy.

I completely agree with the no crying approach! Dont believe in CIO or anything of the sort! i work with young children and have done a lot of research into the effects, hense why O is never left to cry.

This what im now thinking if it continues just living in her cot maybe i could leave it another year without it causing to much of an issue x

Cripes, dummies can be a hard habbit to break. My lil brother had one always! His teeth are affected now, he needs braces. My mum tried everything.

Thankfully jackson doesn't care for his, I try give him it he spits it out, only if he's really tired he will take it.

xxxxx

O has orthodontic ones so im hoping providing its just at night and for naps which it already is and is gone by two it **shouldnt** be to detrimental to her teeth.
my other worry is if i take the dummy to soon she will turn to her thumb... which i cant take away!
being a thumb sucker messed my teeth up

Awww I imagine she will be fine with only using it sometimes.

I'd say keeping it just for bed is better than taking it away early incase she does suck her thumb.

When I say my brother has teeth problems, this was because he had it in 24/7 - there's even a couple pics of him one in the mouth one in each hand. Its weird because me or my other brother never took to dummies.

It's a shame when you see toddlers with dummies in and speaking, it actually affects theyr speech too. But mostly because people aren't aware of the problems they can cause.

When I was chatting to the DN she had says the dummy would be fine until about 1 and she never said how much to have it in, so I'd say if its only night time its probably fine just now ? Haha if you change her bottle and take the dummy away she might be like excuse me what's going on ? Hahaha JK hun, but do what you thinks best.

I would say the dentist would give you like proper advice, I didn't ask too much about dummies because J isn't fussed. They might even have some techniques for weaning off dummies, if it becomes hard I'm sure they get it all the time.

Who knew a little silicone teet could be so bloody addictive? LOL xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back