Bottle feeding question

laetitia85

Reaction score
Do you make all the feeds in the morning then store them in the fridge (and reheat when you need them)?

or

Do you make each feed as you need it.

Different books advise different things. What's best?

we make jaylas feed up in the morning and put in the fridge. my HV sed thats fine
xnatx

I used to make up James' feeds last thing at night before I went to bed for the next day. Was told they're ok for 24 hours as long as they're kept in the fridge.

Ive made up the bottle the nightbefore i need them and if there not used within 24 hours i chck thenm and myhv said that was fine - ive done it with both kids.

i used to boil up the water in the evening and fill all the botttles, but i didnt add the formula powder until the feed was needed. so we didnt need to keep the bottles in fridge, we only had a tiny fridge at time

i used to make up a full days feeds too and put them in the fridge

I used to make up 6 at a time which was enough for 24 hours and then keep them in the fridge.

Like the others, I made 24hrs worth up at a time.

However, in the last few weeks I've heard a lot of advice saying you're not to do it, including from a midwife and a health visitor. They even went so far as to say not even to boil the water up in advance and add the formula. The whole bottle has to be made from scratch.

Boil water and wait for it to cool in the middle of the night? I don't think so!

TBH, I can't see why. Some of the latest advice you can at least understand the reason behing it, but not this. If they're in the fridge, why not?

I think there may have been a dept of health report to fuel this sudden flurry of talk.

muppetmummy said:
I used to make up James' feeds last thing at night before I went to bed for the next day. Was told they're ok for 24 hours as long as they're kept in the fridge.

same.

in usa u can buy bottles of sterlised water to make up bottles :wall: why cant we have it, think its called nursery water or some thing

i think the mistake some women make.. is to use those insulated bottle holders.. to keep bottles hot.. YOU CANT DO THIS!!!! a friend of mine had it.. she wipped the bottle out and just fed the baby.. the milk was made up that morning and it was now in the afternoon.. bacteria can breed if the milk is kept hot/warm.. you can only use a made up warm bottle out of the fridge of about an hour.. then it has to be disguarded (needless to say this girls baby ended up in hospital at a few months old with a really bad tummy bug)

i had the maws (SP) insulator thing to keep water warm and a seperate zip on lid storage thing for the powdered milk then made up the bottle when i needed it.. you have to be quite prepared when you go out with a small baby.. where you are going to go..

now with the smoking ban its not as bad, when charl was little all cafe's had grannys in there smoking like troopers.. and i often got stuck where i could heat her bottles.

i cleaned and sterlised bottles in the night and filled with water put the lids on the rest and left to cool on the side.. made up the night feeds either once the bottles had cooled a little.. or when she woke for 1st feed..and put the powder in the other bottles in the morning..

If Tia ever had a bottle... she got em straight out the fridge icy cold... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm such a cruel mum... but it was a way of keeping her interested in the breast while still being able to use bottles as I would often express so she could go to the childminder... basically mummy milk = nice and warm.... bottle milk = brain freeze.. :rotfl:

I used to use a cold water steriliser and all my bottles would go in there and would be sterile for 24 hours... at night I'd make up maybe a max of 4 small bottles a day... then store them in the fridge...

Eventually when I stopped breast feeding and we had to go out... I'd take a bottle with a little travel carton of baby milk that you could buy way back when and just use that.. although by 10 months I'd stopped sterilising.

We have bottled water here that you can apparently use to drink and make bottles up with... infact its recommended above boiling... :think: Personally our tap water sucks so I'll be using this bottled water.

I do 4 bottles at a time, put the boiling water in then put them in the fridge. I add the formula when the feed is needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back