Boss won't let me go to scans

Laura1992

Reaction score
Soo my delightful boss (female, has three young children herself) has congratulated me on my pregnancy, and informed me that I will not be allowed anytime off for scans. I'm in Hong Kong, so although it's technically not legal for her to do this, everything is very pro-employer out here.

Just thought I'd have a moan. I've decided to quit and move back to the UK anyway now (oh, and she won't accept my resignation either, but there isn't much she can do once I hop on the plane)!

Hope others have better luck with telling work about pregnancy. I think I've just been very unlucky.

You have to stand up for yourself- I've never asked, I only inform. What can she do about it if you came late or left early for a scan? Sounds like she does want you to stay so don't get bullied!

I'm not one to get bullied, but I'm a teacher, so it's actually quite irresponsible if I just don't turn up. I wouldn't be able to do that without knowing that there was cover available. I've told her my first scan date, and her response was "It just won't be possible".

I am set on leaving anyway, as it's just getting miserable out here with the heat, and my sickness is really bad to the point where I'm running into empty classrooms to be sick multiple times per day. I'm also working 6 days per week.

Oh that doesn't sound like fun. Hope you make the right decision that makes you happy xx

Last edited:
It's her job to provide cover. Send an email informing her of your scan dates and times.

So sorry to hear that Laura. :-( Will you be able to rearrange the scan for a time when you don't have lessons? Does she have a boss over her you can go to?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

That's awful :( Hope you get it sorted Laura. Good on you for taking your responsibilities as a teacher so seriously but you also need to think of yourself.. Shame on your boss, she really should understand and should at least be making an effort to arrange cover for you. Shocking..

That's really unfair. Can you take it unpaid maybe? Or can the hospital fit you in before or after school? Maybe if you said you'd tried to get an appointment after school but they can only fit you in an hour before the end of the day or something, she'd realize you'd made an effort to fit it around work?

When I was a teacher I was told by the Head that I had to pay £100 for my own supply teacher so I could attend my sister's graduation, but when I came back she said she was only saying that so the other staff didn't think she was giving me special treatment and it wouldn't really come out of my pay.

Its difficult in schools but your manager doesn't sound very accommodating.

Last edited:
That's crazy saying you'd have to pay for your own supply teacher. Good that you didn't have to in the end!

It doesn't matter now because I've handed my notice in, and no scans between now and when I'm leaving :)

There is a list of things teachers can get paid time off for and graduation of a sibling isn't one of them! I think it's only a funeral or graduation of a parent, spouse or child.

Good for you! Do you feel relieved? !

Oh wow Laura didn't realise you were moving so quickly! Good riddance to that boss though! Xxxx

I wasn't going to leave this soon, but I do feel glad that I am. The weather and close living conditions here are really getting to me - I live right in the center, so when I leave my apartment, it's ridiculously hot and people everywhere. It should take 2 mins to walk to the underground, but it takes 5-7 because of all the people.

I'm also reallllly getting fed up of work. I don't have a lesson today until 2pm, and I just phoned to say I might be half an hour late (so 10.30ish arrival instead of 10). I know I'm going to be sick any minute, and I can't bear to be sick on the underground again. I was asked what time exactly I'd arrive and I said "when I'm finished being sick?" "please come in as soon as possible" I mean seriously.. I'm constantly sick at work and I never leave early or make a fuss.

Was that your boss who said that? Does she have issues with pregnancy/jealousy? You said she has children.
Ridiculous, its not as if you're going to leave the children in the lurch. :poke:

Was that your boss who said that? Does she have issues with pregnancy/jealousy? You said she has children.
Ridiculous, its not as if you're going to leave the children in the lurch. :poke:

No, her sidekick answered the phone (also has three young children). Nevermind, I got there half an hour late and nothing was said.

Oh my life! Their behaviour is disgusting! Good riddance to them although I'd be tempted to inform a higher power about their actions and cite it as one of your reasons for leaving. X

Oh my life! Their behaviour is disgusting! Good riddance to them although I'd be tempted to inform a higher power about their actions and cite it as one of your reasons for leaving. X

Thanks for the support :) unfortunately my boss is the owner, so there isn't anyone higher to take matters to! Only have to suffer until Wednesday next week though :)

That figures! My sister works in the Middle East and they cancelled everyone's summer leave as there was too much to do! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back