BLW

Lolie14

Reaction score
We will be doing blw with our little girl. She is currently 5 months (she will be 6 months in 3 weeks time). I know you're supposed to wait till then but she is sitting up (can do unaided for a few seconds!), she is grabbing our food and drink to bring to her mouth and she is fab at chewing on the curdled milk her reflux brings up!

I know how it is advised to be started at 6 months due to the huge range of food babies will be eating and the affect it could potentially have on the gut if started sooner. Has anyone started it earlier though? I was thinking of just giving her a steamed carrot, broccoli etc, nothing fancy, keeping it bland till we hit 6 months.

To be honest I will probably end up waiting... So undecided :)

I'm hoping to do blw too but am going to wait if I can. My lo is interested in food but he can't yet stay sat up on his own.
If all goes to plan I'll do a combo of lumpy soft foods like smushed carrot and potato etc with soft batons too, so he gets used to a spoon and feeding himself. That's the plan anyway... He might think otherwise!!

Unless there's a reason to bring it forward I'd prob wsit as there's more chance of it being a success!

I did first tasting at 5m I used a nubby nibbler although theres now one with a silecone net which cleans much better. Cant remember the name its on amazon though something mama I wanna say clever mama? Could be wrong..

Anyway we used this, gave things like fruit steamed veg etc. Just to get him used to tastes. We did blw from 6m though..

We had no weaning or tummy issues. I personally dont see anything wrong with a phased start. I was giving Jackson 1 bottle of cows milk a day from 11.5m too, just to get his tummy used to it.

xxx

Last edited:
Grabbing at food and putting things in her mouth don't mean you need to start weaning early so no need to worry. But they do show that she should have the skills she needs to start feeding herself when she is 6 months old. The advantage of waiting is that you can start offering pretty much everything right away (there are a few exceptions eg honey) so much less faff than early weaning when it has to be boring bland mushy food.

We did BLW and it was great so I can highly recommend it. There's a lot of mess and waste at first, but food should be fun and BLW allows babies to fully explore their food and choose what they eat and how they eat it. We will definitely be doing it again with baby 2 :)

Yes, we plan to jump straight in with offering her everything, we are currently planning our family meals haha!

I doing mainly BLW with some spoon feeding here and there. I waited until she was 6 months mainly because she was thriving well on her milk. I did give her a couple of nibbles on cucumber and banana before 6 months. I don't think there will be any harm in a bit of over cooked carrot.

Last edited:
We do blw. We started when dd was around 5.5 months as she started eating my banana! We just started with vegetables and fruit and then have her everything when she was 6 months. She was definitely ready as her weight was beginning to drop but now it's gone back up.

My LO has upped her milk recently, she is taking 6-7oz roughly every three hours. Her reflux is playing up though so she is sicking some up.

At meal times she grabs off our plates. Today she grabbed my glass as I went to drink and started mouthing it :)

I would only give her a steamed carrot or a banana to chew on if we did start her early but equally I'm happy to wait, I just wasn't sure if I could start blw early.

I started BLW when Joe was almost 6 months old but at around 5 months I used the a nuby feeder that RM talked about I put fruit in and he used to love sucking and chomping banana/soft frit and veg in that,
Gosh I can't believe your little sapling is almost 6 months!!! I think of you Jess, and Michelle all the time it's over a year now since you all got your BFPs ...how time flies

xxxxxxx

I check in on you too and keep my fingers crossed every month. Jess hasn't been around since her little one arrived, I'd love to know how she is doing!

We have a nuby weaning net thing lol. I can't wait to see her eating food with us! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back