BLW winning recipes

Minchin

Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread to get some ideas for yummy recipes people have used when BLW.
ATM LO eating mostly what we're havign with extra's of lots of fresh fruit, veg sticks (butternut chips, roast parsnips, steamed swede carrot etc)

Made some tune and lentil 'sausages' but tbh OH was right when he named them 'tuna poos' and they were way too crumbly.

Want to get creative though so any ideas for yummy, easy for LO to hold and munch, recipes?

I will be back to post, I'm currently attempting 10 minutes on here before getting ready to go out for first time in 2 years :)

Hope you have a good time Helen!
I'm thinking about a few recipes to post, will get round to them soon!

Here's a recipe for meatloaf that Seb couldn't get enough of and neither could we!!!!

Oil
450g lean minced beef
100g good-quality sausage meat
1 medium onion chopped finely
2 tbsp tomato purée
100g fresh breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried herbs
1 medium carrot, grated
1 celery stick finely chopped
1 egg, beaten

Preheat the oven to 189 degrees centigrade and lightly grease a 450g loaf tin.
Put the beef, sausage meat, onion, tomato purée, breadcrumbs, herbs, carrot and celery in a large mixing bowl (or blender/food processor if you want it really fine) and mix well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly, using your hands to squeeze the mixture. Transfer to the loaf tin, press down well and cover with foil.
Bake in the oven for about 1 hour, or until the loaf is coming away from the sides of the tin.
Remove from the tin and slice, serving warm with vegetables or a salad. If you're eating it cold (perfect picnic food I think) then wait until cold before slicing.

I made a turkey mince and herb meatloaf but this was before we intro'd egg and no eg in it meant it fell apart all over the place! This one sound syummy, may give it a go this week. Seeing as I started this thread I must try some recepies and post them. Hmm maybe will make some savoury muffins today I think. Helen Have you mad eyour own bread for Seb? We've been giving owen limited amount of bought fresh but worried about salt, he loves toast and avocado, toast and banana though. x

Oh my word that is so weird-I am at the proving stage of bread making right this second! I have a bread maker but I'm making this by hand and I'm going to put crushed sunflower seeds on it :) I have a feeling it might go wrong though! Lol! Will let you know.

I need more ideas! I done Drake Cauliflower Cheese last night and he LOVED it. Its always messy whatever i give him but i loves it lol

Risotto went down really well, I'll include a chicken risotto and risotto primavera recipe :)

Chicken risotto;

1 tbsp olive oil
25-50g unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped or sliced
200-300g chicken, cut to suit baby
250ml low salt chicken stock
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut to suit baby
1 courgette, cut to suit baby
Couple handfuls of sweetcorn (tinned or frozen)
250g risotto rice
2 tbsp parmesan cheese

Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. When the butter is melted, add the onion and fry until soft. Add the chicken and fry gently until the outside is sealed and white.
Meanwhile,put the stock on to heat in a seperate pan.
Add the pepper and courgette to the chicken, and fry gently for a further 3-4 minutes, until they start to soften, then add the sweetcorn. Add the rice and stir to make sure that all the grains have a light coating of the butter/oil (add more butter or oil if necessary).
Add the hot stock to the rice mixture, a ladelful at a time, stirring constantly, until each ladelful is absorbed. Simmer gently. Continue adding stock (you may not need all of it) until the rice is plump but still has a bite to it and the overall consistency in the pan is creamy.
Take the pan off the heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve.

Have to do risotto primavera recipe in a bit-Seb's not well and needs cuddles :)

Risotto primavera

115g asparagus spears
2 young carrots, thinly sliced to suit baby
25g unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
225g risotto rice
3 tbsp dry white wine (don't worry, the wine cooks off)
1 litre hot veg stock
55g button mushrooms halved
55g grated Parmesan cheese

Blanch the asparagus and carrots in a large pan of boiling water and drain well.
Melt the butter with the oil in a large, heavy based saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the rice and stir well to coat the grains with the butter and oil. Add the White wine and cook until the liquid has been fully absorbed.
Add a ladeful of hot stock to the rice and cook, stirring, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue cooking and adding stock, a ladelful at a time, for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
Gently stir in the asparagus, carrots and mushrooms and cook for a further two minutes or until heated through. Serve immediatly with Parmesan cheese.

mm good rissotto recipes. We did a chicken one a few weeks ago he loved it, a lot of playing!

Hope Seb is feeling better? Teeth?

Owen had spag bol tonight, loved it! (we had it last night and seasoned in our own bowls).

A quick rough recipe:

Lean steak mince
Tom puree
Tinned plem toms (we then chop with scissors as we put in)
Large onion
mushrooms
Garlic
black pepper
Baby stock if you want
sometimes carrot and red pepper

Soften onion in pan, then add mince, brown, add garlic, carrots and toms, leave on v low heat for ages. Add mushrooms half an hour before serving.
He had it with large fusili. yum!

Tried dairylea today and loved it. Got a reduced salt one. I do worry about salt though lol! Also had a kind of omlette for breakfast which he totally loved!

Making muffins soon I promise!!

Oh and how did the bread go Helen? I'd love to start making some. Just gotta get in the habit I guess. The smell of fresh bread is lush, not much beats it.

Beefcakes and Homemade chips

Oil
Chopped onion
150g lean minced beef
Small blob of tomato sauce
Fresh parsley chopped
Thyme, dried
200g mashed potato
Chopped potato (in chip shape)

Fry the onion for a few minutes, then add the mince.
Once that has cooked add in the tomato sauce, parsley, thyme and potato and mix well.
Leave to cool.
While the mix is cooling, put the chopped potato on a tray and put a small amount of oil on (I use fry light) and place in the oven.
Turn the chips over once.
Just before the chips are finished get the cooled mixture and put the mixture into small balls and then flatten (like burgers but smaller) and gentle fry until they are cooked through.

I cooked these tonight and Paige went crazy over them and barely dropped any of it. Its all really easy for them to grab but its all pretty soft too :) It took about 30 minutes to cook so not long.

Sher Ping Pancakes-these were an absolute hit with everyone!

For the dough;
450g strong White bread flour
225ml water
4tbsp veg or olive oil

For the filling;
400g minced pork
A handful of finely grated white cabbage
A small bunch fresh coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
A thumb-sized piece of fresh root Ginger, peeled and finely grated
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic (I used 2), peeled and finely grated
Sea salt
Freshly ground Szechuan pepper (Tesco sells it)

To serve;
Sweet chilli dip
Soy sauce
2 limes cut into wedges

I also did a salad

Make the dough by mixing the flour, water, oil and a pinch of salt together. Knead it until smooth and elastic. Cover with clingfilm and rest it for 2 hours (I didn't do this! I made the dough, covered it, made the filling and then went from there!).

When ready mix all the filling ingrediants in a large bowl. Use your hands to really scrunch it all together and season to taste with Szechuan pepper (I separated the filling and put LOADS of Szechuan pepper in the adults and a bit in the children's).
Dust a clean surface with flour and cut the dough into 8. Divide the filling into 8 equal piles (if you've done the children's seperate, remember which is which ;)). Oil a tray and your hands. Pick up a piece of dough and create a patty like a mini pizza about 12cm across and 1cm thick (I cheated and used a rolling pin ;))
Take one pile of filling and pop it into the middle of the dough. Pat it flat with your fingers, then slowly stretch the edges of the dough out, folding them back in over the pork mixture. Do this all the way round until closed. Once closed, press down on the pancake with your hand.
Do the same with the other 7 pancakes, then lay them on the oiled tray and put them in the fridge for 20 minutes (I didn't do this either, just started cooking them :lol:).
After that get a large dry pan on a medium heat. Add a tiny drizzle of oil and lay each pancake, folded side down, in the pan (I did them 1 at a time). Gently push down on them with a fish slice to flatten them slightly. Keep doing this until they're about 10cm wide and 1cm thick. Be careful not to have the pan too hot otherwise they'll burn before they're cooked through.
Once they're golden brown, turn them over, push down lightly and cook for about 4 minutes on the other side. When they're golden and crisp, the meat should be perfectly cooked-I cut one open to check though.
To serve pour some sweet chilli sauce into a bowl, soy sauce into another bowl (don't allow baby to have soy sauce-too salty) and put some lime wedges on the side for squeezing (or in Seb's case sucking on!) and away you go! I also served them with a green salad.

It sounds like a faff but believe me, these pancakes are sooooooooo worth it!!!!!

mmm sounds yum! We had sausage metaballs with tomato and rosemary tonight, will do recipe soon but feeling lazy!! aslo made cheese and brocolli muffins (sound srough but actually quite yum) will get that up too soon.....

Oooooh both of those sound delicious :) I did griddled asparagus with griddled tuna steak and corn on the cob with salsa tonight and will pop that up asap x too tired ATM x

ok feeling motivated here goes...

Brocolli and cheese muffins (this recipe is someone elses from another forum so I dont own it but I guess it was just a recipe so ok to copy and paste!!:))

Makes 12 regular or 24 mini muffins

200g broccoli (1 small – med head)
1 1/2 cups plain yoghurt (360 ml)
1/4 cup oil (olive or corn or your choice)
1 large egg
50g cheese (I use a bit more than 50g – prob nearly double the qty)
2 cups self-raising flour (225g)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup skimmed milk if required. (50 ml)

Preheat oven to 200 C or 190 for fan ovens. Put rack just below middle of oven.

Cook broccoli (boiled or steamed until tender).
Mix yoghurt, oil & egg well together. Ad broccoli and roughly crumble in blue cheese. Put mixture in food processor and pulse in short bursts until no large pieces of broccoli left. Try not to puree the broccoli but just chop it finely. (I do it all by hand. I chop the broccoli finely on a chopping board and mix everything by hand, Works equally well!)
Put flour & salt in a big bowl and mix together with a fork. Pour in the liquid mixture and begin to fold together. If you think the mixture looks too dry add the extra milk and fold JUST enough to combine. (The key is not to over-mix it – it should look pretty lumpy and unappetizing!)
Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. Using two spoons divide the mixture evenly between the pans.
Bake for 12/15 minutes or until golden-brown and centres spring back when pressed. Let the muffins cool in the pans for 2-3 minutes before tipping out.

A yummy adult version or for older kids is to use a creamy blue cheese instead of cheddar.

LO totally loves them

another from someone else:

breakfast cakes

makes 6

2 weetabix
20g cornflakes
100ml milk
1 small banana

1 small fairy-cake tin
butter or olive oil for greasing

1. Preheat oven to 190C (or 170 for fan ovens) and grease the tin.
2. Mix together one of the weetabix, milk and cornflakes, crushing cornflakes in the process until you have a paste.
3. Mash the banana into the cereal mixture until smooth, then add the second weetabix. You should have something with a sticky, cement like consistency.
4. Divide into six and spoon into the greased tin, pressing down with a spoon so that you have six little discs of cereal mixture. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.

pretty yummy-Owen thinks so anyway, I'm not such a fan of these

Now one of my own :)

Sausage meatballs with tomato and rosemary

Kind of did this one by eye so will try and remember

Medium onion
Pack of good quality sausages
Tinned tomatoes
garlic (couple of cloves)
Tomato puree

Squeeze sausage meat out of sausage and make into prefered meatball size.
Fry onion and garlic til softened. Brown meatballs. Add tomatoes, puree and rosemary cook on a medium heat for a while til cooked!

Serve with any pasta and a little parmesan.

Have some pics of Owen with this one, will have to add a few. It was a winner and also DH and myself loved it! (He cooks much more than me so I was proud of myself for knocking this up from what we had around :) )

Ok last one for a while! easier to do them all seperately!

Made this tonight with our lunch leftovers for Owen's dinner and as we'd had giant cous cous with roasted veg and trout was working out a way for him to eat the giant cous cous cos thought that could be a little tricky. So I mixed it with philadelphia and made'fishy, cous cous balls'. He loved mushing them about and then eating them!

Gosh, you've sorted out our dinners for a week! These recipes look ah-mazing!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back