Blw question

Kate1985

Reaction score
So Harry is 6.5 months now and having a right time weaning him. He will take porridge in the morning he loves it. Tried introducing lunch or dinner in purée form and be will take 2 mouthfuls and then arch his back and scream for hs milk. Tried doing it after the bottle and he still didn't want it. Spoke to hv and he suggested to ditch purées as he's over 6 months he can have normal food n to start blw. Just give him stuff to try. Problem is be ause Harry was 2 months prem, he doesn't he sit up unsupported, he hasn't developed the ability to hold a spoon for long and he's not good at picking stuff up and getting it to hs mouth (except his hands!). I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can ate blw work or us? Tips or food o try? And when should I worry that he's not in 3 meals a day?xx

Hmmmm. It's a difficult one. We do BLW and I've read all sorts of other people's experiences of it, including some where baby doesn't even start eating until they are about 8 months old or even later. I even know of people who don't start weaning until LO is 1 year old, but that's a bit extreme. What I would say is to keep up with the milk - offer it up to an hour before any meals, and just start slowly with the other meals. Maybe even wait another few weeks before attempting anything other than the porridge? See if he starts to sit up better and once that happens, start sitting him at the table with you at mealtimes and plonk a few bits in front of him and see what happens. It took about two weeks of T sitting at the table with us and being offered food before she even attempted to pick it up and eat it. She didn't start eating til she was 6 months old, so if he was a preemie, you'd expect it to be a little later than that, perhaps even a couple of months. Be patient and remember that his main source of nutrition up to the age of one should be milk, so don't fret about the solids too much. He will get there in his own time and won't be missing out on anything as long has he keeps taking milk. Broccoli, well cooked carrots, sweet potato cut into sticks worked well for us at first. Hope this helps. xxx

Aaron isn't great with his hands either and we have been doing puree's up till now. He doesn't sit unsupported either.

I have had the most success with cheese to date - a babybel halved and he loves it! Also dairylea cheese dunkers, but he just sooks the cheese off then throws the breadstick away!

I've always offered milk first, then an hour or so later solids, so he is hungry but not starving. Fortunately Aaron took to solids really well. I'd just keep trying with the puree's and maybe offer some finger food. What does he do if you hold it for him?

Brocolli and cauliflower florets are great to start with as they have a 'handle' and go mushy in the mouth.
I don't think there's any rush to get them on to 3 meals a day hun, just take it slowly as food is just for fun before they're 1.
It is best if they can sit unaided before starting blw but perhaps you could just try to see how he gets on? If he's doesn't take to it, carry on just offering breakfast. When he starts sitting unaided and his hand co-ordination gets better, give it another go?

Xxx

Hmmmm. It's a difficult one. We do BLW and I've read all sorts of other people's experiences of it, including some where baby doesn't even start eating until they are about 8 months old or even later. I even know of people who don't start weaning until LO is 1 year old, but that's a bit extreme. What I would say is to keep up with the milk - offer it up to an hour before any meals, and just start slowly with the other meals. Maybe even wait another few weeks before attempting anything other than the porridge? See if he starts to sit up better and once that happens, start sitting him at the table with you at mealtimes and plonk a few bits in front of him and see what happens. It took about two weeks of T sitting at the table with us and being offered food before she even attempted to pick it up and eat it. She didn't start eating til she was 6 months old, so if he was a preemie, you'd expect it to be a little later than that, perhaps even a couple of months. Be patient and remember that his main source of nutrition up to the age of one should be milk, so don't fret about the solids too much. He will get there in his own time and won't be missing out on anything as long has he keeps taking milk. Broccoli, well cooked carrots, sweet potato cut into sticks worked well for us at first. Hope this helps. xxx

WSS!

C is nine and a half months and is only now getting to grips with BLW it has taken a great deal of patience and a lot of sitting on my hands to prevent me spoon feeding to get to this point. Also a lot of preparing food which then goes in the compost bin??!! He still isn't swallowing great deals but is enjoying meal times a lot more.

C will always do things in his time there is no rushing him!

If you can stick with it I would as it pays off.

'Food is fun until one'- the only thing that has got me through this!! X

The ladies above have given great advice, but remember 6months is a guideline (is that his adjusted age is he was prem?? ). But just as some babies are ready a little early - there are plenty who aren't ready till much later, 8/9 or even 12 months.

Personally, if he's not coping with solids, if go back to just milk for a couple of weeks and try again later. There's no rush and 6months isn't a magic number that you MUST start on. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Thanks ladies. I guess technically he's still 4.5 months corrected but I was told weaning starts from actual age. I'm not goin to stress. Will give him food with us at dinner and he. An do what he likes.if I hold it for him tweety he ŵill suck stuff xx

I would say give him his porridge, give him his milk, and every now and then, give him a carrot stick or bit of broccoli or whatever.
Once he's ready he'll figure it out :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back