BLW - Just had a proper 'Call an ambulance!' moment - Help :(

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
We've been doing great with BLW so far. The odd couple of gagging episodes, but nothing too bad. Tonight, however, she was having some toast and made a few gagging noises so I just let her cough it out.. but she didn't. She stopped gagging and went bright bright, eyes watering, mouth wide open like she was trying to cough but no air or sound was coming out. We could see the toast and it had actually got stuck to the roof of her mouth, quite far back. We were desperate to dislodge it but knew this could be really dangerous, especially because of how far back the toast was already. So OH grabbed her out of the highchair and as soon as he did and she was tipped forward and had her back slapped, she got really sick everywhere but the toast was STILL there. But she then finally started coughing and it came out.

My god, our hearts still haven't recovered :( It's making me really question myself... WHY am I putting her through this? If she had actually choked I would have totally blamed myself for not going with purees. I mean, I KNOW she'll be on solids eventually anyway, which is the only thing keeping me going with blw, but I really need some support, please, mummies! :(
It really, really scared us!

Last edited:
oh chick how scary, we've recently ahd 2 similar episodes but lo is nearly 18 months!! All i can say is it's bloody scary but not connected to blw. you did the right thing, going the blw route does not mean she is more at risk of choking. babies can choke on purees and tw babaies may have choking episodes on fingers foods and when they move to lumpier stuff. at least you knew what to do. we had no choking in the eraly days but so much gagging. does your lo gag much?

hope you're ok, you must be very shaken. dont doubt your decision to go this route though.... hugs xxx

oh chick how scary, we've recently ahd 2 similar episodes but lo is nearly 18 months!! All i can say is it's bloody scary but not connected to blw. you did the right thing, going the blw route does not mean she is more at risk of choking. babies can choke on purees and tw babaies may have choking episodes on fingers foods and when they move to lumpier stuff. at least you knew what to do. we had no choking in the eraly days but so much gagging. does your lo gag much?

hope you're ok, you must be very shaken. dont doubt your decision to go this route though.... hugs xxx

My lo is 11 months and was the same the other day, as above I doubt its blw even adults can choke. You keep at it its worth it. X

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

Lo used to do this alot, and she was on purees, really scary the first few times, but after awhile it becomes second nature x

Must of been so scary :hugs: keep at it Hun, it will get better.
we recently had a horrible choking session at 16 months because she's started shoving to much food in her mouth! so lovely to watch them eat anything & everything though. also love the fact she can just eat whatever im eating x

Thanks :hugs: that's the thing - she does try to shove so much food in her mouth at once!

...also, she didn't seem phased at all and as soon as I sat her on my lap for a cuddle straight after all this happened, she started grabbing at my sugar snap peas I had with my thai curry! :shock:

Last edited:
Lol typical that the parents are left shaken up and lo wonders what the fuss is about. Glad all is well x

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

OMG that must have been soooo scary. Had a cpl episodes like that with 1st LO.

Only thing I can suggest is watch her like a hawk when she's eating anything.

There's not really much else you can do tbh.

:hugs:

Try not to worry im sure it was a one off.

:hugs:

Aww must have been so scary. But the others are right its not the blw its just babies learning to eat it can happen anytime as soon as they change from purees. That's why we have to watch closely when they eat and know what to do if they choke. It does worry me too x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hope you're both ok. What Michin said is right - in fact, often babies weaned with purees joke more as they are used to just swallowing purée as soon as its put in their mouth. Blw learn to chew and move food around a lot earlier xx

Ive had this with Jacob a few times now, last one with jam on toast this morning, had to do the back slapping like you :( it is horrible and scary but I think it affects us than the LO's. I've also questioned whether to carry on with BLW, but I will do for as long as my heart can take it!

Hope you and Poppy are okay.xx

Sent from my sexy iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

So scary, this happened with my LO and he wasn't even BLW. He had trouble swallowing lumpy food til 10 months old, and one time I tried him on a simple stage 2 jar and the contents got lodged in his throat, he went bright red not breathing and had to do the same and grab him out the chair and slap his back so it all shot out of him.

Well scary! It made me so nervous to try him again but I had to keep going and to try not to fuss too much coz he already had food issues. Now he is fine and eats/tries almost everything. Although his fave is finding fluff off the floor to eat lol :wall2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back