BLW help

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
I have never BLW, too scared of choking. I'm a nervous wreck.
We've been using purée since 6 months in the traditional way.
The thing is this. This little man constantly tries to hold my food and wants to eat it. I gave him some banana but he bit a big chunk off so I took it off him panicking and he cried.
I gave him a Ryan in his hand but he was buying chunks off so I took it off him and he cried.

So is there anything that a nervous mum like me can give that he can't bite chunks off and choke?
I wouldn't consider it normally but this lo seems very independent x

I used to cut it up into bitesize chunks till he could bite and chew, does he have the dexterity to pick up small bits?
Xxx

Broccoli is a brilliant starting point Hun it can be steamed to the point where it pretty much breaks apart and it has its own handle xx

Raw things might be a good starting point?

Raw carrot batons, raw red pepper, cucumber fingers - they are pretty hard to get lumps off? Although James manages it just fine :shock:

Broccoli and cauliflower florets are good too as they have a "handle" as KK says

xxxxxxx

I had a scare Cos not so long ago thanks to not thinking. It really shook me up but I've stuck with it. The first "gagging" incident can be pretty scary but at least it's not half as has next time.
Broccoli is a good starter and cucumber.
If you don't want to give lo whole bits you can try and mash it a little so he can still pick it up but it's not as chunky iykwim?

I also found reading up a lot on the difference between choking and gagging helped as did looking at videos of baby CPR, sounds silly but it put my mind at ease knowing that I knew what to do.
Choking is silent and gagging is noisy so there is a difference

xx

I used to cut it up into bitesize chunks till he could bite and chew, does he have the dexterity to pick up small bits?
Xxx

Yes, he is very good with his hands x

Thanks girls, I might try the broccoli and see how we go :) x

Even though I did some BLW with my eldest I was still nervous with Finn however it is totally amazing and he tries everything. I was worrying he wasn't eating much but his poo has changed to almost solid so I know he has been eating plenty. I love watching him eat yoghurt and rice pudding with his fingers. It's amazing! I need to film him.

Embrace it Cos and try to enjoy the experience, it's fantastic fun. X

He has yoghurt and I let him feed himself that. Purée I will often put on a spoon and he puts the spoon in his mouth. It's just the stuff he could choke on. Choking is literally my worst nightmare x

If its any comfort, Aaron takes big lumps out of things and he moves food around his mouth really well and chews/swallows.

He ate a baby bel today in the fastest time!

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

You should have a quick read about BLW Cos, or pop onto the website?

It may put your mind at rest a little?

xxxx

Def cooked carrot or broccoli as it goes to mush in their mouths so less chance of it causing any anxiety with you ( I found with Harry that he wasnt bothered by anything)

Def have a read f the blw book if you can- it's great for explaining how babies eat etc xx

I think I will need to read about it. If anything breaks off in his mouth I instantly panic and take it off him.
He was really enjoying a banana but the chunk he bit off was huge! I pooed myself! x

I gave jack some banana and he always bites off big chunks. But he realises its too big and pushes it back out with his tongue its brilliant! Then he picks it up and takes a smaller bite. I'm a lot more relaxed about him eating now but broccoli is still my favourite thing to give him, he couldn't choke if he tried! Bit nasty seeing it in his nappy the next day though xxx

We tried some carrot and broccoli. He loved it, gagged, I panicked and took it away, he cried - fail :(

I'm not cut out for it, I'm sticking to purée. Thanks for all the advice girls and well done for BLW :) xx

Here is an other idea, not purely blw though. Cut the banana in pieces, mouth bite and feed it to him like that. I assure you in a week top he will be moving food in his mouth and chewing really well. Then increase the size of bites you give to him and eventually give him a whole piece and let it to him.

Amelie now eats whatever I give her from my hand and there are not small pieces at all.she will chew (no teeth yet) big bites of chicken and vegetables and toast and whatever.
She now just holds a piece in her hands and eats from that and in between she opens her mouth to give her pieces of my food even if she holds in her hand the same as I eat :roll: she probably thinks I way sth different.
Btw never push food in his mouth just go with it near his lips and see if he will take it by himself or even better if he has a pincher grip Just let the little pieces near him.
Amelie she did choke once with a biscuit. Proper choking no gagging, turned blue and everything and since then I didn't let her with while pieces of sticky easily breakable food like a cookie for example. Instead I brake it in pieces for her to pick it like that to practice her grip.

I might give that a little go, I'm just so nervous about the gagging and choking.
I might have another go at something next week x

Awe big hugs. It can be so frightening to begin with but honestly gagging is good. Younger babies have a gag reflex much further forward and they are LESS likely to choke than older babies who are introduced to lumpy food later on. It's all normal. I completely understand your fears as I was just the same. Next time you try it sit on your hands and if he gags wait a few seconds and I'll bet whatever he is gagging on will come straight back out. Have faith in both yourself and him and you will really enjoy it. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back