BLW and gagging help

diane

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I'm BLW my 8.5mo old and its going great - for her, but not for me! She eats everything I put in front of her, and she eats A LOT so I'm happy to keep down this route but I just cannot get over my fear of her choking! She gags on most food tbh, and I'm finding it hard to cope with. Its not helping me that my hubby and mum etc don't like the gagging thing either and keep panicking about it, even going so far as to say they won't feed her! So now I'm the only one to feed her and I'm getting anxious about it.

Is it normal to still feel this way about BLW? How can I overcome this fear myself and also help others overcome it?

Hi Diane,

I've not started weaning yet but I go to a breastfeeding support group where weaning is often talked about.

Firstly, gagging is a natural reaction and is completely different to choking...it's just the bodies way of dealing with excess food at the top of the gullet. This doesnt mean that little one is taking in too much food, but maybe her little body is getting used to it all.

Also, coughing is GOOD! I have an extreme phobia of choking to the point where if one of my family members starts coughing while having dinner they will immediately look at me to say they are okay as they know I freak out. Coughing is not a sign of choking.

If your little one coughs or gags, try not to appear panicked and take her out of the high chair, comfort her e.t.c as this can make food time seem like a negative experience.

It may also help to get yourself to a baby first aid course - some baby groups hold them (we have one in November on baby/infant first aid - completely free) This may help alleviate some of your fears and you can also pass on your knowledge to other family members so they feel equiped should choking arise.

It is incredibly rare for a baby to choke as their digestive system is built especially to prevent choking.

Good Luck xx

I did BLW and yes you can get a bit anxious at times but my now 2 year old never choked only gagged. It freaked out my mum too but luckily my oh was on board so had his support. Have you read the books to put your mind at rest its all normal? Babies who are fed mush have a lot higher chance of choking when they start on lumps and finger foods so your actually at less risk weaning this way keep reminding yourself of this. There are a few good Facebook pages on BLW too that might give you more confidence. Just remember the saying "food is fun before one" x

Firstly, gagging is a natural reaction and is completely different to choking...it's just the bodies way of dealing with excess food at the top of the gullet. This doesnt mean that little one is taking in too much food, but maybe her little body is getting used to it all.

Also, coughing is GOOD! I have an extreme phobia of choking to the point where if one of my family members starts coughing while having dinner they will immediately look at me to say they are okay as they know I freak out. Coughing is not a sign of choking.

If your little one coughs or gags, try not to appear panicked and take her out of the high chair, comfort her e.t.c as this can make food time seem like a negative experience.

It may also help to get yourself to a baby first aid course - some baby groups hold them (we have one in November on baby/infant first aid - completely free) This may help alleviate some of your fears and you can also pass on your knowledge to other family members so they feel equiped should choking arise.

It is incredibly rare for a baby to choke as their digestive system is built especially to prevent choking.

Good Luck xx

Just to add to this post that in babies the gag reflux is much higher towards the front of their mouths, so they gag long before any food gets close to their airway.

It is horrible to watch, but honestly it gets better.

xxxx

I was the biggest worrier and had the worst phobia of choking but it really does get easier. I found that if I had someone with me I was a little more relaxed. So when I first started started I made sure someone was here.
I did unfortunately have a small episode of choking while out with my friend but mummy instinct kicked in and I kept so calm which really surprised myself, dealt with it and then carried on feeding him!
I now give him anything to try, I must admit I still cut things up for him quite small though xx

Thank you ladies so much!! Have really put my mind at ease xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back