Blood type O RhD Negative anyone??

skimpy

Reaction score
Just found out that i am rhesus negative. Currently struggling to understand what this means fr me and my baby. I had a call from the MW today to give me my results, but wasnt feeling well and didnt really take them in, but then when the post came i had a letter from the hospital about it, and have this card thing to carry around with me.

If i have any vaginal bleeding or abdominal injury or fall, i have to get an injection of anti-D???

Has anyone else got experience of this? This is my first pregnancy and i am quite confused about it all. the information on the internet doesnt make much sense to me. so if someone can put it into lamens terms for me, that would be great.

Thanks

Well i'm no heamotologist but from what i gather theres nothing to become very worried about. Basically its a blood group, like o+ or o- It just means your red blood cells have a particular antigen, i.e marker on the surface.

The thing is that when your pregnant and you and your child are incompatible than there is a risk of condition. Any complication is entirely preventable because of the care and they can inject you with anti-D antibodies. As long as your feeling okay everything iA will be fine and dandy :hug:

Hi,

I'm also Rhesus neg and there's nothing to worry about - generally they'll give you an anti-D injection at around 30 weeks, to ensure your antibodies don't affect the baby and I think also after delivery. I've had an anti-D after each of my pregnancies to ensure there are no problems for the next pregnancy.

In first pregnancies especially it rarely becomes an issue xxx

I'm rhesus negative.. nothing to worry about really. Esp with your first pregnancy. You must inform the hospital straight away if you have a bleed or get knocked quite hard on tummy (not just normal bump) If that happens you need a shot of Anti D to prevent you producing anti bodies (which would only happen if your baby is different blood type but they dont know this until baby is born anyway)

It rarely ever affects you first baby anyway even if you do produce antibodies cos your body doesn;t have time to produce enough. The reason they give you anti D is to prevent your body producing enough to affect the next pregnancy.

They say only 20% of women are rhesus negative but honestly half of them must be pregnant cos I know loads :think:

dont worry though. even injections aren't too bad :hug:

I'm new to this site, so do be patient with my mindless rabble! :D

I'm rhesus negative which meant little to me until my first child was born. Basically, if my blood had mixed with my little boy's (he's rhesus positive) then my body's immune system could have prevented me from carrying another baby. So, shortly after he was born, I was given a shot in my leg to prevent this - don't remember much about it now!

There is plenty of information out there to read if you need to.

Am now pregnant with my second after a year of trying! We're all over the moon (especially my now 8 year old son) and can't wait for next July
:D

of course :)

i breastfeed and i was a-. had an emergency anti-d at 23 weeks (i got pushed over being caught in a fight in the pub i worked in) and another after the birth (ryan was a+).

it's nothing to worry about and if anything you are monitored closer than normal :) which is good :)

Thank you all. you have put my mind at rest 8)

one more question...did you/are you all taking the anti-D vaccine?

My MW suggested that i didnt need it (she is also rhesus neg)

luckily I have had no bleeding at all, so will just get the routine jabs later on, all going well - 'if I want them' :think: :think: :think:

Thanks again girls :hug:

RhD negative means that you don't have a protein on the surface of your blood cells that RhD positive people do. If your immune cells are exposed to RhD positive cells (such as your baby's) then your immune response will think you have an infection and attack those cells and therefore the baby's blood. It is only a problem if your baby is RhD positive but they routinely give anti-RhD as they can't really test your baby's blood.

You get a jab at about 34 weeks but if for any reason you go into premature labour or have a shock (such as a fall) that might cause yours and your babies blood to mix then you need to have anti-D so your immune cells don't attack the baby....

It's so routine to give the jab, it's nothing to worry about and normally isn't a problem until second pregnancies as believe it or not your body can't mount an immune response until it has been exposed to something first..... which is why they don't give you it before you get pregnant for the 1st time...

Sorry for all the detail, but i am a scientist and just can't help myself....

Thank you - im one of those folk that like to know as much as possible, so your infor is much appreciated :D

My OHs family dont understand what it is. its like because theyve never heard of it, they think im making it up :roll: :roll: :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back