Blood Tests

nikki_isme

Reaction score
**also posted on 2nd trimester board - apologies about the double post!!**

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to post this, it seemed appropriate here as I'm 20 weeks!

Anyways, I am yet to have a blood test. I have a terrible phobia of needles so every time the midwife comes near me to try and take bloods I completely freak out and refuse. My midwife isn't being particularly supportive and is seeing me as a complete nuisance, as are the doctors at the health center. One even told me to grow up last time I was there. Hmm helpful!

Has anyone else gone through pregnancy without taking bloods? My midwife is refusing to be part of my delivery unless I have a blood test . Not sure if she can do that or not!

Luckily my hubby is supportive and understands that I'm not being awkward, I have a phobia which is totally different to 'not liking needles' which is obviously what my midwife thinks. You wouldn't force someone who is scared of leaving their house to walk out their front door, so why should they be able to force me!

The whole saga is making the anxiety worse. I'm dreading my next appointment with her. I know why they take bloods and appreciate it's for mine and babies health, but I just can't see myself beating this. It isn't like I'm choosing not to have them, I physically can't do it. My hand shoots up to cover my arm without me meaning to!

God I sound pathetic don't I

Aaaww Hun, it's awful when the health staff aren't supportive :( I had a similar experience but not with needles and not whilst pregnant and luckily it was 1 nurse. Is there anything you can focus on when they're doing it? Book to read? Earphones in? Playing candy crush? ;) I don't believe the midwife can refuse (could be wrong) but this could be a scaring tactic xx

I have a major needle phobia I actually freak out and cry when they want to take my blood!! I can only do it when I have numbing cream on and physically can't feel it. I buy emla cream from the chemist and apply it an hour before going to have blood done. I would completely refuse without it. X

My step-daughter has a total phobia agaisnt needles. She gave me permission to hold her arm down and talk to her throughout last time she was pregnant and needed bloods and things taken - many tears and screaming, but she did it. Imagaine the fun we had when she needed an epidural!

You are at liberty to refuse any medical procedure you want however, they can also refuse to treat you if they feel that it puts them in a position where they do not know what risks you pose.

Is there any way you can ask drs for councelling or see a hypnotist? It really is important for you and the baby to have these blood tests.

Get them to use a numbing cream??

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

They cannot force you but the main thing they should know is your rhesus status as if you are negative and need anti D they wouldn't know and it is given to protect future pregnancies. One way around it is to check your partners rhesus status and if he is negative no worries as so will the baby be negative. As for your iron count just keep taking iro throughout pregnancy. Ideally though you should have the bloods done try the cream and go to someone who does bloods day in day out.

I'm very shocked to read this. As some (more militant) women state: It is your legal right to choose which screening tests you wish to accept or decline. You cannot be forced to have ANY procedure. They are obliged to offer the tests and advise. But they CANNOT force or threaten you with termination of care!!!!
I would make an official complaint to the superior of midwives about the threats made by your mw. She is not allowed to pick and choose her patients based on which tests they opt for. I'm not one to issue complaints left right and centre. But I think this particular mw needs a talking to.

On another note, I really think the blood test needs to be done. How about hypnoses? Or sedation?

Last edited:
Iv got a massive fear of needles as I have weak vains and it takes ages and many attempts to get blood out, they can give you a tablet for sedation as Iv had that at the hospital before. When I went to my booking appointment my midwife said I didn't have to have the bloods done if I didn't want to so I don't think they can force you. I had mine done, had oh holding my hand and taking to me trying to take my mind off it and another midwife keeping my arm still! X

Thank you so much for your replies everyone, you've made me feel so much better. I put a similar post on a completely different site, and all I got was abuse accusing me of being a bad mum and saying I shouldn't of got pregnant in the first place - not helpful!

I bought some of that numbing cream online yesterday so will test it on myself when it arrives. Really hope it works! It's the initial needle going in that freaks me out (my phobia is mainly about being cut by other people, I feel uncomfortable around people holding knifes and sharp things because my brain is convinced the sharp object is going to leap out of their hand and cut me - no idea where the fear came from!). So I'm hoping that if I can't feel the area the needle goes it, I can keep my cool!

Initially the midwife offered me the cream, and when I said yes she backtracked and said no because she would need to 'order it' and we'd have to wait? She really stressed me out last time and tried to hold my arm down which made me go even more mental. Then she was trying to trick me saying the needle wasn't in her hand when it was. Really has made me distrust her :-( and I feel anxious about seeing her again

Can you ask for someone else to take your blood like the practice nurse? Or get it done at the hospital. Thats my best place to get it done because that is basically all they do all day so they are VERY good at it. I use to find that dr.s were not great at it but when ever I went to blood donors it was done in seconds because they do it so often.

If you mistrust the midwife, even with the numbing cream I would be surprised if you would allow her to take your blood. If you ask her (or if you don;t want to approch her, speak to GP) about writing you a blood form (that is what they do in my area anyway) and then put the cream on an hour before you go and get it done then. Take someone with you and try and take your mind off it by talking about something toatlly unrelated.

Hi,

I was exactly the same with my first pregnancy. My husband had to take days off to actually force me to the hospital. I accidentally kicked a nurse in the shin in the haematology lab. She remembered me at my next appointment and everyone else had heard the story too. I refused any drugs during labour because I didn't want any needles near me, and stupidly endured a 52 hr labour. And shamefully when they tried to give me medicine to stop my new baby needing the needle, I said to give it to my baby.

2 babies later, one being a c-section, I'm kind of getting used to it. Just ask for ametop sachets that they put on babies and kids to numb the area. You put this on 15 mins before appt and don't look at the needle!

Good luck x

Which one did you buy? Emla cream 100% works I've never had a problem with it, just make sure it is on for an hour before you have bloods done. The mw told me it takes 30mins to work and that is not true, after 30 mins you are not completely numb so I definitely recommend waiting the full hour. Using the cream You won't even know they have done it, I have never felt a thing and now I'm not scared of blood tests as I trust emla :) x x

Yes it's emla. I'm still waiting for it to arrive! I'm going to have a test at home just to check it works and then if all goes to plan, hop down to the hospital and get myself sorted out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back