Blood test, scan, herbal remedies....

Maka

Reaction score
So I needed someone to talk to about this as my dh really doesn't have a clue.

Dh and I been ttc for a year now. I went to my GP as I feel like my hormones and thyroid are out of whack. She did a day 2 blood test and day 21 blood test which basically showed 1) my thyroid is normal but low low and 2) I didn't ovulate this month. Geeee I could have told you that. My thyroid has always been normal but low but she doesn't want to put me on medicine even though I was on thyroxine as a kid. I wish I'd never stop taking them as they helped me. Oh we'll so my Gp wants me to do another blood test next cycle to see if I'm Oing but I still haven't seen AF yet grrrr. She is sending me to have a scan as she thinks I may have PCOS but I've always had normal 28-29day cycles until December which for some reason as become longer to 45-47 day cycles :( my Gp tells me it could be a possibility that I have PCOS but that she wasn't sure and that if I did I could still go on to have children. I'm waiting now for the days to pass to go for my scan and I tell ya I am a bit nervous. :/

Well in the mean time I went to my local Holland and Barrett and talked to a lady there about Agnus Castus and Primrose oil. I'm already taking folic acid but she recommended me taking AC 400mg 2 twice daily and PO 1300mg once daily along with my folic acid. She told me to start this immediately even though af hasn't showed. I started taking this 5 days ago so we shall see how it works. She told me it will take at least on to the 3rd cycle to work properly.

We shall see.

I found this bit of information on another site:

Agnus Castus (also referred to as vitex or chasteberry): This seems to be the herb most commonly used by women with PCOS. Vitex has a direct effect on the pituitary gland; the gland involved in regulating hormone production. It seems to increase the level of LH, although the studies that have shown this have been conducted in women without PCOS. Therefore, this does not mean it increases LH levels in women with PCOS. The fact that it works so well in women with PCOS lends great support to David Hoffman's (11) assertion that vitex is an adaptive herb that does whatever the body needs it to do. It seems to restore progesterone to a normal level , which is helpful for those with low progesterone levels. Low progesterone levels can cause miscarriage so vitex can help to prevent this. It is also used for irregular menstruation, amenorrhea and PMS.

Donq Quai: This is actually a Chinese herb but it is widely available in Western health food stores. It is one of the best women's herbs and has been dubbed "the female ginseng" (12). Similar to vitex, it can be used for long periods of time because it is a tonic herb. It nourishes the liver and endocrine system and is useful for irregular menstruation, PMS, period pain and menopausal symptoms. It is a phytoestrogenic herb.

Black Cohosh: Black cohosh is a uterine tonic herb and exhibits an oestrogenic effect. It is widely used in menopausal formulas but is valuable for treating amenorrhea, irregular menstruation and PMS. This herb can also lower blood pressure.

Saw Palmetto: Saw palmetto is traditionally used to treat male prostate enlargement. However, since it is an anti-androgen many women with PCOS use it to treat hirsutism and acne. It has a side effect of increasing breast size in some and consequently is used in breast enhancing herbal formulas to increase cup size. However, it does not always have this effect.

Evening Primrose: a widely popular supplement taken by many women for PMS, fibrocystic breast disease and to improve skin quality. It can also help with irregular cycles. It is rich in G.L.A and linolenic acid; essential fatty acids which the body requires to regulate hormones. Evening Primrose oil also helps with heart disease, cholesterol and blood pressure.

Progesterone cream: This cream has been widely popularised by Dr. John Lee, who advocates the use of this cream for many female conditions such as menopause, PMS, fibrocystic breast disease, ovarian cysts and PCOS. It can be ordered from various companies on the Internet.

I've also heard of Lydia Pinkham"baby in every bottle" google her name for the story. A friend of mine ttc for 2 years heard about LP and became preg after taking this for two months.

Last edited:
Wow I posted this a few days ago just to be able to talk to someone, but I've gotten no comments guess maybe I posted in the wrong place maybe?!

Sorry you're having trouble TTC, you've certainly posted in the right place. I'm not sure why no one has commented, I've just noticed the thread.
One thing I would say about evening primrose oil though, once you have ovulated, you need to stop taking it as it can cause uterine contractions, so you only take it from AF to ovulation.
Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon x

I am going through exactly the same thing!! just had day 2 bloods done had 21 day bloods last month ,hadn't ov'd having them done again this month! been told I probably have pcos!!

Hi sorry missed this, been hanging out in am I pregnant all week! This is my second month taking agnus castus, I'm hopeful it will help my pcos and heavy painful irregular periods, I did ovulate slightly earlier this month so that's defo an improvement, currently 10dpo do expecting spotting to start any day now, hoping the agnus castus might have helped with that too....we'll see xx

I didn't know I needed to stop the evening primrose oil after ovulation. Glad you told me. What about the Agnus castus? Do you stop that after ovulation too? I started taking them both immediately and af arrived exactly week later so I'm hoping this is going to work well.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Angus castus x

I have pcos - tried taking both agnus castus and evening primrose oil but sadly neither helped me. They are supposed to be good for ladies with pcos so fx you have more luck with them and get your bfp soon

Anna x

I decided to take the AC all month to give it the best chance, I did lots of research and made my own call. It's meant to take 3 months to properly get in your system so will persevere for a bit longer xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back