Blood results...worried

Samsgirl

Reaction score
hi all. The midwife rang me today and the bloods I had taken at my booking in appt have come back showing signs of antibodies. I didn't have any such issues with last pregnancy and they think it's cos I needed a transfusion with my last labour. I have to go and have more bloods done on Saturday to be tested to see if antibodies are still present and of what severity.....anyone had similar/know what it's all about? I'm scared :( xxx

Hey, I got the same call last week and have to go back on Friday for another blood test. I was pretty worried as they didn't give me any further info, but someone replied on my thread saying there are good and bad antibodies and explained it more that put my mind at ease a bit.

I'm also Resus negative and had an anti d shot after miscarriage in May, so I'm thinking it may be that that they have picked up.

Comments were by Ammdaz on my thread antibodies detected in blood.

Yep it was me who also had this happen. My 28 week bloods flagged up an unknown antibody and I panicked! Like you I wasn't given any info, google didn't help, and I had to wait until 34 weeks for a repeat blood test. Surprisingly the results of that one came back that the antibodies could no longer be detected. Apparently it's quite common for things like this to show up as a blip then disappear, even though the little bit of info I did manage to find seemed to suggest that once they are there they are there to stay.

Anyway even if your antibodies do remain its not the end of the world. Hopefully they will be able to identify them - most won't affect baby but there are a few that can be harmful. Anti d (associated with rhesus negative blood type) is one of them and the most common which is why women are offered the anti d injection. Some others are anti-c and anti-k. These antibodies can attack baby's red blood cells if they have the blood type that matches the antibodies. The most likely side effect of this is jaundice so bubs would need to be carefully monitored after birth and may need light therapy. If you did have one of the more harmful types you and baby will be carefully monitored so that the levels of the antibody in your blood can be checked and you might get extra scans to check on baby.

I did find this nhs leaflet: http://www.transfusionguidelines.org/docs/pdfs/nbtc_pi__antibodies_in_pregnancy_leaflet.pdf

It focuses mostly on anti d but the principle is the same for any antibody and its the only reputable info I could find when I was looking!

Xxx

Last edited:
So I saw midwife this morning and had more blood taken. I have found out a bit more about what's going on. If there are antibodies present....while baby is in me, there are no problems. But once baby born then they can cause its red blood cells to break up. So I am probably looking at another special care baby. Will have to go on lamp for jaundice more or less straight away and could possibly be anaemic with worst case scenario being a blood transfusion. I will probably deliver at 38 weeks too. I think this has more or less made me decide to go for a section. If baby is going to be needing treatment anyway and will be going into scbu then I want to be in a stronger frame of mind and not knackered after a delivery to cope with it all. I know I will be sore but I will have been able to plan everything and I won't be in a similar state to last time. Hopefully not anyway!!! Who knows. Fingers crossed bloods will come back and there will be low levels cos if they are high, I am also in for bloods taken every two weeks....why can't anything be simple eh???!!!! But at least they know about I all and I will receive the necessary care eh. Xxx

Did they tell you what antibody they have detected?

I spoke with the screening midwife at the hospital who had a better look in to my file and results from my last blood test, and as I suspected she also thinks they may have detected the anti d that they gave me in May. She said I still need another blood just to make sure it's not me making the anti d.

My son was severely jaundiced and I was really anaemic after the birth and he was under lights for 10 days. But still in a room with me. They forgot to give me the blood transfusion - another long story! But all was ok in the end. As long as they know what's going on they can treat the issues quickly. Annoying thing was having to stay in hospital for 10 days!

Hopefully all works out well for you. X

They haven't had that result back yet....

Thanks chick xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back