Blood Results came back.............Not good!

ashley22

Reaction score
Hiya

I got a call from one of my midwife's today and she said my Blood Tests for the Spina Bifida, Down's Syndrome and Edwards Syndrome have came back positive and that there is an increased chance. I am to go for a scan on Monday to have another look and discuss the possibilities.

I have been very upset and think the weekend will now drag. The possibillity of something being wrong with the baby really frightens me.

Has anyone else been through this?

my mum was told when she was pregnant with me that i had downs and was advised to have an abortion (as u can tell she didnt) and it turned out they were wrong so dont worry to much yet

My sister in law was told she was high risk, so she had further tests done, which proved inconclusive. Her little girl (my niece) is now 9 months old, and perfect in every way! Try not to worry too much (easier said than done i'm sure) and please let us know how you get on. Good luck xx

they even told me their a little dodgy and can make you worry over nothing so it has put me off ahving test even if your a 1 in 10 still they have nearly all babies fine when born. It can be an unnecessary scare!

My friend was told there was a 25% chance her baby had downs and he didn't.
Try not to worry to much for now as there is nothing you can do till you have further tests (if you want more tests that is)

Hi Ashley,
It is common to get false positive results from blood tests. And a positive test result only means that there is an increased risk of a problem - not that there is an actual problem.
I personally had a scare over Edwards Syndrome and had 6 weeks of terror waiting for the next scan.
If the baby does have Edwards or Downs Syndrome then there would most likely be physical defects visible during an ultrasound.

You could also do an amnio to rule out chromosomal problems 100%, but there is a slight risk of miscarriage.

I dont know anything about spina bifida though.

Hi Girls

Well everything went fine at my scan. They said the baby is formed as well as he/she should be and that there was nothing to worry about.

After all that worrying everything is fine!

Thanks to everyone that posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back