Blood Loss After Premature Labour

VickyClare

Reaction score
Hi I'm not sure whether anyone will have any advice but I thought if anyone did one you lovely ladies might :)

As some of you know, I went into prem labour and gave birth to our beautiful daughter on 7th May, she only survived for 47 mins. I know bleeding is normal after birth but over 3 weeks on I'm still losing blood. The smell has changed from odourless to a faint period blood smell (sorry for tmi) Do you think that my period has just started after the expected blood loss (or is there usually a gap in between??

Any advice would be appreciated

Hope everyone's ok

Love Vicky x x

I don't have any advice on this hon but I wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss and hope things sort themselves out for you x

I bled for two weeks after giving birth to my baby at just over 13 weeks but I had a D&C afterwards. I haven't got a clue how long women usually bleed for after giving birth. Hopefully a mum will help you out with an answer hun xxx

Thanks Leean and scn,

Scn, I had a d&c afterwards (with just gas and air - ouch!!) So I still don't understand why I'm bleeding. I s'pose we are all different. I am still injecting Daltaparin so that might be the reason.

x x

Last edited:
The dalteparin could be contributing but to be honest, I think if there was nothing left to come then it would stop regardless of the dalteparin. I say this because we use dalteparin after some surgeries that we do at my work and blood in the urine and from wound drains still stop even though on the dalteparin.
I would suggest giving it another week and if still no ease up on the bleeding, go and see your GP. Hiw long have you to stay on the dalteparin?

Hi scn, I have another 2.5 weeks on the injection. I can't wait to stop it tbh as it's a constant reminder (& the blood loss of course) of what we've lost.

X x

sorry to hear about your loss.

After having my baby (full term) I bled for nearly 4 weeks. It was very heavy to start with, then would lighten and then get heavy again. It also had a strange smell towards the end, I was worried my stitches had become infected, but they hadn't. Its normal apparently. xx

So sorry for your loss

lochia...the bleeding after birth can smell a bit odd tbh! and it can go on for weeks for some ladies.I think I only bled for 2 weeks after both my births - so was lucky there i think. the area where you placenta was has to heal so the further you were into pregnancy the larger that area will be.

Mention at any follow up appts that you are still bleeding, they may want to scan to check everything came away with the d&c (can't believe they did that with gas and air!)

Thank you for your replies. The blood loss seems to be settling down a bit now I'm pleased to say and it's starting to go brown too.

Yes, I didn't realise what they were actually doing when they were performing the D&C- blummin' horrific! I didn't want to go into theatre so let them get on with it. They had to leave a small blood clot behind as I thought I was going to pass out because of the pain(which was much worse than giving birth) luckily that came out naturally.

Take care all, Vicky x x

P.s I just want you to know that I think your babies are beautiful Lynds77 and Iwant3 x x

Last edited:
Hi Vicky

Glad to hear the bleeding has slowed down. Just wanted to say I sent you a PM and sorry I'm so late with it!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back