Blood clots in period

Bambi42

Reaction score
Hi girls,

My saga with spotting between periods continues. This cycle I spotted from ovulation up to day 1. I’m on day 3 of a very heavy period and *warning TMI* I’ve just passed a blood clot the size of a 10p.
I’m going back to my GP next week as want a referral . (We have unexplained infertility. Our IVF was private so I don’t have a consultant, unless we pay again which we can’t afford.)

From what I’m reading on Dr Google this could be a sign of polyps but surely that would have been picked up at some point during the Hycosy or during IVF? It happened in January just before IVF but it’s not happened again until tonight. My back is really painful but no other symptoms.

Any help appreciated, I’m fed up being palmed off because of my age. I know somethings not right and I don’t think large blood clots are ‘normal’. Any experience of this?
Xx

Hi girls,

My saga with spotting between periods continues. This cycle I spotted from ovulation up to day 1. I’m on day 3 of a very heavy period and *warning TMI* I’ve just passed a blood clot the size of a 10p.
I’m going back to my GP next week as want a referral . (We have unexplained infertility. Our IVF was private so I don’t have a consultant, unless we pay again which we can’t afford.)

From what I’m reading on Dr Google this could be a sign of polyps but surely that would have been picked up at some point during the Hycosy or during IVF? It happened in January just before IVF but it’s not happened again until tonight. My back is really painful but no other symptoms.

Any help appreciated, I’m fed up being palmed off because of my age. I know somethings not right and I don’t think large blood clots are ‘normal’. Any experience of this?
Xx

I’m sorry I don’t but I spot all the way through my cycle sometimes, even sometimes as early as cd9.

Doctors have never been very helpful for me but I hope that as it is new they will be x

Thanks @SugaryIris . The spotting started for me after my first chemical, never had it before then. I think that’s a hormone imbalance which the docs brush off. I read that taking evening primrose oil up to OV can help that so I’m going to give it a try but the big clots really worry me. It’s a nightmare having a period that heavy, especially in the office.

How are you getting on? Xx

I always had heavy, clotty periods but as they were regular I just thought it was normal and no one was ever concerned.

Once we started fertility investigations, they did find an unexpected polyp on my scan. They removed it and totally unexpected by me, my periods were shorter, lighter and next to no clots. The consultant didn't even mention changes to my periods which in my case were hugely for the better. I never ever had mid cycle spotting which seemed to surprise them. Although I did spot before my period that also stopped after the polyp was gone.

I had been doing acupuncture. I knew about the polyp but obviously had to wait a while to get it removed. Once it was gone, I had all the changes to my cycle that the acupuncturist had promised acupuncture could do for me :roll: Needless to say, I stopped acupuncture after that. I know acupuncture works for a lot of people but the change was just too drastic in my case and clearly required medical intervention. So my crappy periods clearly weren't "normal" after all.

As you've had all the investigations and IVF, I'd have thought any physical issues like polyps would have been picked up on a scan by now but that's not to say there isn't something else going on.

One thing I would suggest particularly as you're getting palmed off due to your age and had IVF privately. If you go to your GP about your cycles perhaps don't approach it from a fertility point of view just an abnormal cycle point of view. Then they would likely refer you to general gynaecology so you won't be met with the attitude about your age that you would at an NHS fertility clinic. Although my polyp was found due to fertility investigations, it was managed by general gynaecology and not the fertility clinic. My experience of gynaecology was infinitely better than fertility in all aspects of my care and treatment.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Thanks @MoominGirl Do you think removing the polyp helped you to conceive? X

Obviously I can never be totally certain as we did have other issues. The fertility doctor said it would have no impact on our chances of conceiving naturally which in her opinion were impossible without IVF. We were pregnant 6 months after it was gone. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Hi girls,

Xx

I have the same, I have low progesterone. Spotting from ovulation to period. Period is usually late. Currently 13 days late! When it finally comes it's very happy and lots of clotting. Just got on meds.

@Cam Bam Thanks for replying. Can I ask what meds you got & how long they expect for them to kick in? I had Cyclogest during my ivf (high dose) and had to have prunes (yuk) as they made me sooooooo constipated it wasn’t funny.

Tagging @Jezby so she sees this too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back