Bleeding :'(

Mrsbee

Reaction score
Ladies I need your help/ advice /opinions. Sooooo

Last Wednesday I had quite bad stabbing pains bilaterally saw my gp and was treated for a urine infection. Anyway then I started bleeding, well spotting might be more appropriate as it wasn't bright red. Anyway I totally freaked and went to A&E I was kept in over night they examined me, took bloods and I had a scan next morning. My hcg level was 13,000 I was I thought 6 weeks 3 days but they put me back a few days so I was actually 5 weeks 6 days/ 6 weeks. The doctor said that hcg level was good and overall it was very reassuring. The scan showed the pregnancy was in the right place, but she wanted to rescan me in about 10 days to ensure the baby was growing near the yolk sac as she couldn't see much, but both the sonographer and the consultant said that's normal.

Anyway today I wake up go for a pee and again there is quite a bit more blood but it's more pink it's definitely not red. I called the EPU and ended up seeing the doctor. This is pretty much her exact words " some women bleed all the way through and it's fine some women miscarry it's pretty much 50/50. I don't want to do another blood test as it would be a waste of money and you have your other scan in a week"

I mentioned to her about my hcg levels but she didn't reassure me that those levels were okay she made it seem more that they were on the low side. I feel quite honestly fucking terrible. I wish I'd never seen the doctor now.

Luckily I've been able to move my private scan to Wednesday as there was no way I could have waited a week for the next NHS scan.

Anyway I guess I want to know if anyone has experienced this and how it ended up? Xxx

I've spotted through the first trimester of both pregnancies and it's been fine. It's always been quite pink and watery with me - I've never had my HCG tested so I've no idea. As far as I was aware though, the number on its own is quite meaningless and it's the increase that's the important bit xx

Thanks Hun, just annoyed me that she said it was a waste of money to test it again!

Is there an early pregnancy unit near you that might be willing to do the blood test and let you know your levels?

I hope all is OK xxx

Is there an early pregnancy unit near you that might be willing to do the blood test and let you know your levels?

I hope all is OK xxx

That was where I was when she said it would be a waste of money :/ xx

That's really not nice, if it were me I'd phone back, make sure to speak to another nurse and ask if they will do the blood test. Someone at the epu should be well aware that stress in early pregnancy is not a good factor and be able to offer the blood test to find out if all is ok.

If you are comfortable phoning again then just let them know how worried you are and that you are now worrying that the stress could make things worse, pull on the heart strings xx

That's really not nice, if it were me I'd phone back, make sure to speak to another nurse and ask if they will do the blood test. Someone at the epu should be well aware that stress in early pregnancy is not a good factor and be able to offer the blood test to find out if all is ok.

If you are comfortable phoning again then just let them know how worried you are and that you are now worrying that the stress could make things worse, pull on the heart strings xx

The more I think about it now the more pissed off I am, but at the time I was just I don't know what I was but i definitely didn't feel cared for. I am tempted to call back. Surely a blood test costs far less than me scans xx

My epu was rubbish when I wanted to be checked over just over Xmas and ended up going to the Mac instead who were so much more helpful and willing to do anything for me which was so much more reassuring xx

What's Mac lovey? Id be willing to do anything at this point

I have history of recurrent mc and this is the farthest I've gotten in pregnancy.. However i have had 2 small bleeds (brown, not a lot) and one big red blood / clot bleed.. Obviously due to my history i panicked but a scan showed everything was ok. It does not help stress levels at all but it isn't the end of the world.
Bit harsh of that dr!! I would complain about that, there's one thing preparing someone and another to be completely insensitive.
Try not to panic, i know it's easier said than done but really try to distract yourself over the next few days as stress won't help :( hope you're ok xxx

Thanks Lou, sorry to hear about your mc's :( I have ectropium on my cervix apparently it's like little grazes and I just called the midwife and explained and she said when ectropium bleeds it starts of pinky/ red and then goes brown which mine did. She said she's had miscarriages before at 6 weeks and she said she had awful cramping and a heavy heavy period, and mine is nothing like that. So hopefully it is just the ectropium xx

Yeah mcs are really heavy bleeding. That's interesting! I am going to question my consultant about it because i keep bleeding. I was advised to take aspirin but have decided to stop now. So frustrating sometimes especially when no-one seems to take it seriously. My consultant is an idiot so far xxx

Yeah mcs are really heavy bleeding. That's interesting! I am going to question my consultant about it because i keep bleeding. I was advised to take aspirin but have decided to stop now. So frustrating sometimes especially when no-one seems to take it seriously. My consultant is an idiot so far xxx

Well touch wood I get none of that! Yeah the first doctor mentioned about it and when I told the midwife she said sometimes they spontaneously bleed, sometimes they bleed when you strain to open your bowels or after sex. I've bled after sex and today after going to the bathroom soooo I guess she could be right. From my experience this ectropium is easily seen as it's the first thing both doctors have said so if you were examined I guess it would be the same. My experience of consultants are limited in pregnancy but as you've seen I had a shit doctor today so it doesn't surprise me some consultants are just as bad. It is frustrating they're like "well that doesn't sound like much" I'm sorry but to a pregnant woman any blood is scary! I think someone of them just haven't been pregnant and obviously don't get how scary it is xxx

That's awful that she said about the it being a waste of money!!

Also, I can't figure it out, I once read that every time they scan you it can cost around £500 give or take a couple of hundred.. that's what it costs to run the machine for 15-30 minutes plus paying the sonographer etc.
You'd think a blood test would be cheaper than scanning (maybe I'm wrong but I always assumed that blood tests would be the cheaper option).

Not to mention, checking HCG would give a more accurate picture of whether the pregnancy is developing properly if the numbers are rising. Where as at 6 or 7 weeks pregnant it can be very difficult to see anything definitive on a scan because the baby is so small at that stage.
It's just more worry and more waiting & re-scanning if the first scan is inconclusive.

I hope you get good news anyway.

Last edited:
Phoenix don't even get me started on it. I totally agree with you I hope the doctor has someone as horrible as her if she ever goes through it! Honestly why be a doctor if you've no idea how to talk to people! Xxx

I find this a contradiction in terms to be bleeding and told to take asprin. Asprin is known to reduce the clotting agents of blood, so it would seem to be an odd thing to prescribe...

I was diagnosed with cervical ectropion just Thursday/Friday past. Started with a bit of pink tinged discharge so I phone to query it (I'm Rh -ve) and was checked at the local MAU. They did a speculum exam and I bled. Long story short, they kept poking around (3 speculum exams by various people in the space of like 2 hours!) and I had to spend the night with a cannuala in my hand. I was convinced the worst was going to happen, but the Consultant checked my out in the morning and said all was fine!!

They advised to take aspirin after my last mc and at the beginning of this pregnancy (id had light spotting at that point). I know it doesn't make sense that's why I'm stopping x

It's rubbish about the blood test, maybe intact your GP Direct and ask if us your community midwife - crying s bit helps (awful I know)

As for bleeding - I am the queen of bleeding! Last time I bled at 4,6,7,12 (MASSIVE ambulance required kinda bleed,) 14, huge clot at 16 weeks another bleed at 20 weeks. Baby was totally fine. I had no pain at all and that was encouraging. But 12 week bleed was so so heavy!! I worried every time!

I believe the reason they suggest adoring us to thin the blood to encourage better flow through placenta and to baby - but it does seem like a double edged sword a bit

Bleeding can be totally fine, but can also be a sign of something else.

Thank you jojo. I'm sorry that you went through that though that sounds terrifying. Well I've paid for a private scan and moved it to tomorrow so hopefully that will calm me down a little. Yeah the doctor was to put it mildly a dickhead! The bleeding has again totally stopped and all my symptoms have come flooding back! So fingers crossed tomorrow's scan goes well xxxx

I'm sure it's all fine! My 12 week bleed bled trough 4 sanitary towels stacked together, knickers, jeans and 2 of those absorbent pads on the ambulance. I thought it was game over... 2 days before my dating scan too! But it was fine. Try not to worry - I worried all the way through my pregnancy and it ruined it in a wa
This time I worried because everything has been textbook lol - I didn't get a scan toll12 weeks and the wait killed me! I cry before every scan because I worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back