Bleeding teeth?!

Selly

Reaction score
Hi all

I was talking to a friend today who mentioned that your teeth can suffer while pregnant because you retain less calcium and that's why nhs dentistry is totally free when pregnant.

Then just so happens that I'm kissing my OH (assume that means other half?!) tonight,and we both suddenly taste blood as the gums around one my teeth is bleeding!

Could this be pregnancy related and has anyone else found this?! Was totally freaked out!

I'm only 7 weeks + 1 day

Xxx

I found I had very sensitive gums when pregnant which did bleed. Regular trips to the hygienist helped, and after my son was born they returned to normal. The dentist told me it was very common in pregnancy, but if you are worried I would make a dental appointment.

Yep was one of the first symptoms I had with my previous 2 pregnancies. It got really bad! Not had it so far with this one.

I think it's more to do with the fact that you pump more blood when pregnant, and your blood vessels are fuller? Beware if you pick your nose haha

Mine only bled when brushing though but there was a lot of blood. Just make sure you look after them, brush and take advantage of the free dentistry

My teeth are ok, no lasting effects from being pregnant

My teeth are awful after having my son lol. But I'm allergic to progesterone and I get a lump at the back of my throat and swollen bleeding gums every month because if it. This time I've had minimal bleeding but yea speak to your dentist if worried. I'm worried because I don't think I can have any anesthetic one type you can't use in pregnancy so always tell them. The other type I can't have because of my heart issues I hope there is a 3rd option she hasn't told me about lol

You get about 50% more blood in pregnancy so yea I imagine that puts a strain on fine vessels!

Last edited:
I found brushing my teeth really, really, really well with a gentle toothbrush every day worked to stop mine bleeding. They stopped bleeding after about 3 days of super careful brushing but start again as soon as I get a bit lax about it. I had sensitive gums in my other pregnancies too but it went away after being pregnant. It was worst in tri 1 and the beginning of tri 2 and has eased a little now but they are still sensitive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back