Bleeding at 3 weeks (IVF, previous complications)

Lady Stark

Reaction score
Hey,
My husband and i have been trying for 5 years with no luck.
Investigations found that the only issue was that i had endrometriosis (had a cyst drained twice before)
Last November we had our first round of IVF and i got pregnant.

Had slight spotting at about 4weeks, no pain.
Sadly at the 12 week scan we found that the baby's skull hadn't formed and would not survive the pregnancy (or birth) So we decided it would be best to terminate.
Shortly after my cyst flared up again, but sadly this time it was round my left ovary.
The cyst causes my left ovary to rupture and full left side had to be removed.

Second round of IVF. Did my test on 6th Nov. And it was positive!
Had very slight spotting in discharge (brown blood) for a few days.
Then today i had about a teaspoon of bright red blood (was watery in consistancy, not thick, 0 clots)
After about 30 mins had period like cramps through to my back. Lasted about an hour.
No blood since. Pain has totally gone now.

As im sure you're aware we are very scared what this may mean. As im only three weeks they cannot do a scan, and its a Sunday so i cannot ring my fertility clinic for advice (i will tomorrow)

Just wondered if anyone has had anything similar?

Thanks xx

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that you're going through all this stress, it's horrible not knowing what's happening and just wanting a clear answer. I think the only thing that you can do is sit tight until they are able to scan (I guess in about 3 weeks?) I know this is not reassuring or what you really want to hear. You could try testing again every few days in the meantime to see how line looks on pregnancy test? Make sure that you take it easy as much as you are able to and put your feet up.

Again, I'm sorry I know I won't have helped your worry in any way. I didn't want to read and run though and I wanted to send my very best wishes. Quite a few people on the Jan due thread had bleeding in tri1 I remember (even red in some cases), and it turned out to be absolutely fine, so it certainly doesn't mean the worst has definitely happened. xxx

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply!
I think just writing it down made
Yeah it isn't what we were hoping for at all.

I was wondering how soon i could redo a test? Reading online since say few days done said weeks.

Im sure my fertility clinic will have more answers for me tomorrow, i just needed to vent!

Thank you again xx

This worry is really tough but from my experience the fact that it has stopped and pain has gone is a good sign X I had bright red blood and severe pains (ended up in A&e and could hardly walk pain!) I thought I was having a mc and I bled until just very recently (now 15 weeks) so blood can be common and not always bad xx to get through it I kept testing and the line kept getting darker, I also did digi tests which progressed that was the only way I felt reassured until we had our scan at 7 weeks X

I hope it's just implantation bleeding for u it does sound like it xx

Best of luck and congrats xx

Hi Lady Stark, im so sorry for everything you've been through and keeping every the crossed for you! If you got your positive test a week ago then you would actually count as 4-5 weeks pregnant now I think. I had bleeding at exactly 5 weeks pregnant in my first pregnancy, it was brown spotting for a few days and then actually turned into red blood for a few days too. As you can imagine I was heartbroken and convinced I had lost the baby, but everything was absolutely fine and that pregnancy is now my 4 - year old very lively son! I hope this gives you some hope that bleeding can be normal in some cases. I'd had some treatment on my cervix a couple of weeks before the bleeding but doctors didn't think that was the cause as that had fully healed, it was just put down to being a bit of breakthrough bleeding from the time when my period would have been due.

The fact that it's been brown blood at first is a good sign as Brown is old blood, maybe from implantation or period breakthrough bleeding. I've had a miscarriage in a different pregnancy and my bleeding in that was bright red pretty much from the start. Also the fact it's stopped is a good sign... my bleeding with my son also stopped after about a week and was just blood no clots/tissue, whereas the miscarriage bleeding continued until it was very obvious that it was a MC with passing clots etc (sorry TMI).

I would expect they could scan you around 6-7 weeks so hopefully only a week or so to wait. Can your doctors do blood tests in the meantime as hopefully that might reassure you if your numbers are going up?

I really sympathise, it's so worrying and felt like the longest couple of weeks of my life when it happened to me. Keeping everything crossed for you xxx

Last edited:
I agree, if you got a positive test last week, you wouldn't be 3 weeks now. More likely 5ish. I also had IVF twice and had early spotting/bleeding with both. Its very common with IVF pregnancies for some reason. I had pink with this one on day of positive test (I tested early) and then a little spotting (brown) on and off for a few weeks. I am over 15 weeks now so it was likely just implantation and due to the transfer.
There is no set time on when to test again, if you did one last week then you can definitely do another and see a difference in lines etc.
Wishing you all the best, hope it works out for you xx

I had a bleed at 5 weeks and they scanned me and just saw a sac. went back 10 days later and saw a bean with a heartbeat. good luck hope everything is okay x

I actually bled with all 3 of mine at 11, 8 and 5 weeks

I didn't have the bleed but apparently an implantation bleed can present as you've described and for me my symptoms at the beginning were awful period like cramps and shooting/stabbing pains xx

Hey,
Just a quick update since i was last on.
Big thanks for all the kind words.

Had my six week scan today, heart beat was there thank god and all seems week so far.

Only issue im having is im really really dizzy.
Had my BP checked it was 86 over 65.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips for anything to raise it, because i feel crap!!

Going to get it checked again in a few days x

So glad all is well at the scan. I was told by a doctor to add more salt to raise blood pressure. He said that they wouldn't usually suggest that but as blood pressure was so low, I could try it xx

So glad scan went well lovely! Make sure you're drinking plenty for blood pressure too xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back