Bleeding and cramps at 5.4 weeks with low and slow rising hcg - possible ectopic?

LinzJane

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first thread and I suppose I'm looking for some positive stories that have come from situations similar to mine!

My last period was due around Weds 16/03, took hpt on Fri 18/03 which was negative, but I knew I was pregnant. Tested again Weds 23/03 using clearblue digital with weeks indicator which showed pregnant 1-2 weeks. I believe I conceived around 4 or 5 March, which matches the test.

The following day (Thurs) I started spotting brown discharge which was only very light but continued until Saturday when I also noticed a couple of bright red smears when I went to the loo. I went to bed that night with a bit of a crampy tummy. When I woke on Sunday (27/03) my boobs didn't feel as sore as they had done each morning prior - I previously had stabbing pains each morning, but this day they were only slightly tender. I went to the loo first thing and I passed a LOT of blood and some fairly sizeable clots. Tummy was still a bit crampy at this point but not painful, but my partner took me to A&E (where we sat for over 5 hours!!). The bleeding got worse, as did the cramps which ended up being like my usual menstrual cramps. I was obviously devastated, and inconsolable throughout the whole experience as I knew I was miscarrying. Urine tests came back positive and bloods showed hcg at 52, which I am advised is quite low for 5.4 weeks which I believed to be at that time.

I was referred to the Bleeding in early pregnancy clinic (without very much info from the A&E consultant) and was told to call them on Tuesday 29/03 following the Easter bank holiday. They invited me in the same day for repeat bloods, which I was expecting to have decreased and for them to confirm a miscarriage, which I had already resigned myself to. However, my bloods came back at bhcg 83, which was an increase but not doubled as would be expected so further tests required. This obviously totally messed with my head and I've been in limbo ever since.

Out of curiosity I took a second hpt (another clear blue with weeks indicator), exactly one week after my first positive (30/03) and the result was still positive and had also moved up to 2-3 weeks.

I had my 3rd bloods taken 31/03, for which I got results this morning. They have risen again, but not by much at all, they are only 89. So the expected increase isn't there, and the levels are also not in the bracket for 6. 2 weeks which is what I would be now, so is extremely low.

I haven't even had my first docs appointment yet since finding out I was pregnant as they couldn't fit me in till next week and I don't seem to be getting much information from the nurses at the clinic, only that I need to have at least one more bloods test before they can tell what's happening!! I'm going in tomorrow for the 4th test - my poor arms are bruised to death. They haven't even asked me how my symptoms ie bleeding and cramps are now! Which by the way have stopped -heavy bleeding lasted 2 days and gradually got less each day, yesterday was only spots and today is my first day without anything at all.

I'm so confused, frustrated and worried and I wonder if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this with a positive outcome?

From what I've read so far, I think I could possibly have an ectopic pregnancy or maybe some tissue still left from the miscarriage 😣 but hospital won't do a scan ad my hcg levels are too low.

Any advice/stories that may help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the essay and thanks very much if you have managed to read this without nodding off!

LinzJane

Didn't want to read and run but I haven't had this before, hope your ok x

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

I had a similar experience with my first pregnancy. Almost as soon as I found out I was spotting brown blood which eventually turned heavier. I had blood tests at early pregnancy unit and my levels were low (can't remember the numbers now, sorry) so they did another 48hrs later. They were increasing but only a tiny amount so it was deemed to be not a viable pregnancy. As the numbers continued to increase very slowly they said it was likely ectopic but not to worry as "I probably wouldn't rupture over night" (!!!) but then my numbers started going down and I was eventually discharged. Had a scan at six weeks (earliest they'd do it) but they couldn't see anything..

Still not really sure what happened, it was either a very early MC or a failed ectopic, but what I'm trying to say (badly) is that it can happen without it being anything too sinister. It's awful to be in limbo and terrifying to think it might be ectopic, but it's likely that the numbers will start going down soon.

Take care and big hugs xxx

Thanks Cherry belly for your reply!

It is comforting to know that it could end naturally and with no major complications, so thanks for letting me know what happened to you.

It is just a worrying and frustrating time - the waiting is painful. I wish I could just get a definite answer so that I can try and move past this!

Thanks again for your kind words xx

When I had my miscarriage in December, I had brown discharge for about a week, then red blood. I went for 2 scans one on the Monday baby was there with a heartbeat, back on the next Monday after a weekend of bleeding and no baby, but I was 9 weeks gone and I knew I had passed the baby. I would say to ask and see if you can have an internal scan, and see what's happening.

I had to take a pregnancy test 10 days after losing the baby to make sure my levels were going down, and I was told that the amount of hormones in your body can last a while.

Almost identical to mine littlemuffin except I had two weeks of brown before the actual MC started.

Sorry to read this linz jane xx

Thanks ladies for your responses! So sorry for your losses.
I actually found out yesterday that I'd been given the wrong blood results when I called on Fri 1 April, and that the hcg had in fact doubled!! They have now progressed as follows:
Sunday 27 March: HCG 52
Tuesday 29 March: HCG 89
Thursday 31 March: HCG 225!!!

Just waiting on my most recent bloods from yesterday to see if they are still doubling....I'm a bit shocked to be honest as I was convinced I'd miscarried. Still trying not to get my hopes up to much, and I won't believe it till I see a baby on the screen!!! I asked about a scan yesterday, but they won't do one until the hcg is over 2000 as they couldn't make a full diagnosis until that point, but if the hormones keep going in the right direction, it won't take too long to get there.

Thanks again for your stories and for taking the time to read mine, I'm keeping my fingers crossed xx

Keeping everything crossed for you. I know exactly how you are feeling but mine was a bit of a different situation. The doctors did the wrong blood test (tested my estrogen levels instead of HCG) and told me to expect a miscarriage. For an entire week I waited to lose my baby but nothing happened. When I went back to the doctors she was just as confused and phoned the EPAU, they said to do another blood test and they would call me back to tell me the results. When they called me to advise my results they told me the doctor had requested the wrong test and my results of 72 and 67 were my estrogen levels, my HCG was 57,140! I went for a scan the next day and found out I'm having twins! :) I guess I'm trying to say that I know how you're feeling being stuck in limbo land but that I want you to remain positive. I'm convinced that the reason I've had next to no symptoms is because of that 1 week I was convinced I wasn't pregnant any more. Please keep us updated xxxx

Ah thanks lilcurly!! Wow, you have been through a tough time too, but congratulations, it's great that your story turned out positive!!

I will keep you updated!

This week has been an absolute nightmare, and I just can't wait to finally get an answer on what's happening! I did lose a lot of blood and cramps were really bad, so I am still really cautious about getting too positive about my last results!

I am on pins waiting for a call today from my last bloods yesterday!

Thanks for taking the time to read my loooong story xxx

Just had a call from hospital, my HCG has risen again but only by 70% this time - it's now 328. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but consultant wants me back again tomorrow for more bloods :wall2:

xxx

Hope everything is ok for you!!! ���� for u x

Just incase anybody reads this and wonders what the outcome was, I've had confirmation from the hospital that my HCG has now dropped and that I should expect to start bleeding again soon. Just got my fingers crossed that it does all happen naturally and no need for any intervention....thanks again everyone for your stories and kind words xxx

LinzJane, I'm so sorry to read this. As long as they confirm it will all be over soon, do all those naughty things you aren't supposed to do when pregnant. Hot baths with a glass of wine and soft cheese or whatever you want. Here if you ever need a friend xxxxxx

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post a further update on this thread as things have changed slightly over the last couple of days!! I'm not sure I will be back for a while so I wanted to make sure that anyone else ever in a similar situation knows my full story.

On the day I had my results which showed the drop in HCG, the early pregnancy clinic initially didn't want me to come back for more bloods for another week as they thought it was a misscarriage and they just needed to check that the hormones had gone down. However, in the same conversation they also said that they had not totally ruled out an ectopic pregnancy...I obviously questioned this as I couldn't understand why they would leave a patient for a week without looking into whether it was ectopic! Only based on my insistence did they agree for me to come in for more tests to continue to monitor every 48 hours to make sure it was not ectopic... and I dread to think what may have happened if I didn't question the advice.

My next bloods then came back with a slight rise in HCG which is classic ectopic!! so I was brought in for a transvaginal scan the same day. They then identified that my womb was completely empty (which I assume was from my initial bleed that brought me to A&E in the first place) and that the pregnancy was in fact growing in my fallopian tube. There was also bleeding around the pregnancy and the surgeon was concerned that my tube would rupture any minute!! I was rushed in for emergency surgery yesterday (bumped up to the top of the queue even with the doctors strike on as it was that critical) to have the pregnancy and my left tube removed!

I am just so glad that I did not take the nurses word and left it a week before returning for bloods as I could have lost my life in that time. The nurses in the clinic tried to argue that I was not 7 weeks pregnant (which I was at the time this happened) as my hormones were too low for that amount of weeks...but i know exactly when i concieved and surely this issue with low hormones should have highlighted this problem?!! I'm so annoyed with how this was dealt with, and I suppose what I'm trying to say ladies is stick with your gut, if you feel something isn't right please speak up!!

This could have turned out so differently for me if I hadn't spoken up. Good luck with all your pregnancies and best wishes to everyone.

I'm sure I will be back one day, but not too soon. Got a bit of recovering to do first!

Linzi xxxx

How awful for you sweetie. Totally agree that you should always trust your instinct as you know your body best.
All the best for the future and take time for yourself to come to terms with what has happened xx

Oh my gosh LinZjane I'm so sorry for your plight this must have been so hard for you. You are in my heart and my thoughts xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back