Black cohosh, progesterone cream vs. vitex

BerryBaby

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I'm TTC but I suffer from amenorrhea (no period) due to stress lately. I heard black cohosh does the trick so I've been taking a 540 mg tablet a day. I'm on day two of that.

I heard that 12 days after the first day of your period you switch to progesterone cream to help ovulation and continue it until day 28.

I wanted to try vitex but besides taking a while to kick in, I heard it may not be safe to take while pregnant, and also that if you stop taking it after becoming pregnant it can cause a miscarriage because of the sudden drop in progesterone.

And that if you just use use progesterone cream, you can quit around 14 - 16 weeks with no worries because by that time the placenta is making its own progesterone.

Does anyone know when you're supposed to stop taking black cohosh after your period starts? Do you keep taking it for so long as the period is going? Mine usually lasts about 5 days.

Last edited:
Sorry no one has replied to you yet. Have you done any blood tests cd1-5 and day 21? Using progesterone supplements or creams could mess up your hormones. I'd suggest to do the tests first :hug: x

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've heard a lot of positive things about Vitex but also a lot of negative, I think it's trial and error.. I do know you're not supposed to just stop taking it, i've seen that some people have continued to take until 12 weeks or have come off it very slowly by reducing the dose.

xx

I went to the doctor to have blood tests to find out why I wasn't having a period. He didn't seem to have any answers to me and said my blood tests came back normal. He told me he could write me a prescription for an estrogen pill or I could just take black cohosh, so I opted for the black cohosh.

I've taken black cohosh. I took it on CDs 2-12 to boost ovulation so I don't know about it inducing a bleed. I did get good ovulation results on the cycles I took it.

I think it triggers your period only if you were late, not if you hadn't ovulated at all, like me. I'm going off it because it's been 5 days, now I guess I'll see if I start my period two weeks from now. But, I didn't get any egg white cervical mucus though that usually signals ovulation.

I've got some progesterone cream coming in the mail tomorrow so I guess I'll play around with that. Maybe I should just go for the vitex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back