Birthing positions

BabyBrain

Reaction score
Ok so I have visions of me writhing around the labour room trying to get comfy and have been thinking about birthing positions. Obviously gravity helps and I have been thinking on all fours would take the pressure off my back (plus most of my finest moments ttc have been in this position lmao).

The ancient Egyptians had a birthing chair which looks a bit like a long legged commode and I think this is a great idea, dunno why they don't have them now lol. And I have heard some women do it standing up :shock:. Just gotta hope the mw is a good catch I suppose lmao

Has anyone else thought about this? xxxxxxxxx

Physio told me to avoid lying on my back with my legs in the air so I will be trying not to go down that route. It hurts if I have my legs too far apart like that anyways.

I'd like to thing I could do it squatting somehow but I am that fat and my muscles have all but disappeared I'd probably collapse in a heap.

I guess all fours it is.. lol

yeah i wanna avoide the lying down position too

I seen a programme on a home birth before where the woman had one of them chairs ur talking about pretty sure it was UK too so might be able to get MW to find out for you ?

Iv heard on your knees on bed with the back of the bed raised up for you to lean on can be a good one,

The thing is as well I think all fours would be easier to change position in if need be, I would think I would resemble an upside down tortoise if I tried to get off my back in labour lol

Hugsy I'll ask her about it next appointment, thank you. I think OH would prefer me gripping onto the arms of a chair than having my hands wrapped round his throat lol

Have you considered a water birth ? one of my main reasons was that i suffer so much with my back and hips and its ment to make it much easier to change position and move around in the water,

PMSL could ya imagin lying there legs n arms flapping HELP im stuck someone turn me over

I think you can only have a c-sec on your back so guess I'll be going for that then!!!!

My friend gave birth recently (after a 3 hour totally natural labour, it was her first) and she was adamant that the only position she did not want to give birth in was on her back?

According to my friend, the way our pelvis tilt mean that giving birth on your back is unnnatural and can be a lot more painful.

She was open minded about most other aspects of birthing but being on her back was a huge no-no.

Best of luck ladies, you must all be so excited !!

xxxxxxxx

Have you considered a water birth ? one of my main reasons was that i suffer so much with my back and hips and its ment to make it much easier to change position and move around in the water,

PMSL could ya imagin lying there legs n arms flapping HELP im stuck someone turn me over

Omg no! I panic in a puddle lol xxxxxxx

im a VBAC again as with my 2nd and they like to keep u on ur back for as long as possible for monotoring etc coz of previous scar but my LO was starting to get distressed and his head was not coming round the bend as they was saying so i did it on my knees facing the back of the bed and it was so much easier to push that way once his head crowned they turned me on my back again so the rest of him could be born and then put straight onto me!! so maybe i will be trying this position again :) x

I spent most of my labour on all fours over a birthing ball or bean bag, then later on my knees on the bed, leaning against the head board. However, pushing went on and on and i was exhausted so midwife did suggest that I sat up on bed because I had no energy left. This was easier for me but meant it took longer for Ben to come out. I'm hoping to have a water birth this time and will try to stay on all fours as much as possible

Lol BB about ttc on all fours!

I was actually just researching this too. I really want to go for squatting as I've lived in the middle east for a while and squatting is quite a natural position just socially so have kinda gotten used to this anyway... I also think it makes sense if you think about where you're pushing (we don't poo lying down lol!)

I just wish they kinda had something you could hang from almost for support but when I said this to DH he said I would look like a monkey!

Lmao verity I am walking like Clyde the Orang'utan so that wouldn't bother me looking like a monkey :D

im thinking all fours and keeping mobile as much as possible sounds like the best plan to me. less exposed too than lying on your back with your legs open for all to see lol

Have just read that birthing on all fours reduces the risk of tearing and also reduces the chances of a back to back labour :shock:

Last time i was on my back as baby was back to back too so back was agony couldnt even stand up!
This time I'm tempted on all fours!

Only thing i still worry about is pooing during birth lol didn't do it with first and hoping I don't with 2nd. Id be mortified !! Lol

Have just read that birthing on all fours reduces the risk of tearing and also reduces the chances of a back to back labour :shock:

my baby was back to back before i went into labour!! any tips on stopping them doing that before labour begins coz if its back to backk when labour starts there is no chance of it turning again!! and the less painful the better this time :) x

I think any position for pooing is good for pushing. Anyone whose ever had to use a bedpan will know how hard it is to do laying down.

This is one of the main reasons I want to avoid an epidural if I can, I think sitting upright on the edge of the bed seems good but I'll just go with the flow.

my baby was back to back before i went into labour!! any tips on stopping them doing that before labour begins coz if its back to backk when labour starts there is no chance of it turning again!! and the less painful the better this time :) x

Forward leaning positions from 32 weeks are the best for trying to encourage the baby to not get into a back to back position - also on all fours with your back straight (do not put your head below the line of your bum) - doing these especially when the baby is active is really good as well. Basically no lying back in big bucket shaped chairs. These were all the tips I got from hypnobirthing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back