Birth weight

Lil miss lee

Reaction score
This sounds really silly but does anyone know if it's true the more babies u have the bigger they get? I've just found out we are having another boy and my 2 boys have been big babies already 9lb 2oz and 9lb 13oz my little girl was only 7lb 8oz and I'm really worried this ain't gonna be a little 1? I am also terrified this time round as my last labour was horrendous and my baby was born with strep b and was really ill :( !!

I think it's abit of a myth and just depends on the baby. My two have been 6lb 1/2 oz and 6lb 1oz (boy then girl) boy was born at 38+6, girl at 39+4. I'm part of a group to do with vbacs and alot of women on there have said they had smaller babies or the weights fluctuated up and down in every subsequent pregnancy so it's not a given

I am the youngest of 3, and was the smallest. The first was biggest and we were all progressively smaller.

My boys were 8lb, 9lb 4oz, 8lb 6oz & 9lb 4oz...il let you know what this one is when he decides to arrive lol-i think its a myth though, I don't think Logan is bigger than my last baby x

I'm in same boat have had 2 big boys having another boy and my midwife said he's likely to be as big if not bigger than my last who was 10lb 4. I've one daughter who was also smaller. I had a traumatic labour with my last baby too (boy) and I think I'm likely to have a c section this time because of it. My son's shoulder got stuck and I also had a bad post partum haemorrhage. I think everyone is different but at same time I can understand why you're worried if you've had a bad experience. Hope you get good care this time xx

Yeh I feel ur pain my labour was horrific to then my little man had strep b and was in intensive care :( really wish I could have a planned c sec or induction to make sure me and baby get the antibiotic for strep b just to b on the safe side xx

I think on average babies tend to get slightly bigger but that doesn't make it true for everyone. It didnt work that way for my mum. Each of hers was smaller than the last. If its any consolation my boy was 11lbs and his labour was easier than his sister's. She was 9lbs 5.

God that was a big baby lol. My boys have gotten bigger each time yet my girl was only 7.8 xx

Ill let you know in a few weeka lol!

For my mum it kinda was.. 9lb 7, 10lb 7, 10lb 5 & a whopper at 11lb 3! Lol x

Generally it's true. I read it's because after your uterus has already stretched it stretches easier or there's more room so they can grow bigger. Dunno if that's true though lol.

But with me it was true, first baby was 5lb 15oz and second was 6lb 11oz, bith were born at the same gestation (according to scan dates anyway).

That's kind of why I hope this one comes early or on time... I don't mind going overdue at all I just don't want a giant baby haha. I'm used to having tiny newborns who stay looking 'newborn' for longer so it'll be a shock if I end up with a 9 or 10lb-er lol.

That said, I've seen a few 'new' babies recently (at the local shop, and my neighbour's) and they look tiny and when I ask what they weighed (at birth) it's been about 7lb something, and they were 3/4/5 weeks old and still looked tiny even though by then they must have weighed 9/10lb at least.
Today I saw my aunt's foster baby, and he looked tiny and felt so light, but he must be around the 10-11lb mark, possibly a bit more (he's not been weighed since he was 5 weeks old and only weighed 6lb 15 then lol, he's 11 weeks now so guessing he weighs at least 10lb now).

Last edited:
My boys were 7lb 1oz and 7lb 6oz and this boy is looking like he is growing to be a lot smaller than them so not always bigger xx

I wouldn't mind a 8 lb baby as the tiny wee 1s scare me incase I break them lol. But after my last being 9.13 I'm terrified this 1 is gonna b at least 10 lol xx

According to recent studies such as this one: http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/news/press-r...hive/father-s-gene-linked-baby-s-birth-weight then no it is not true.

Put simply the genes from daddy want to make the baby big and strong at birth, the genes from mummy want to make the baby smaller and easier to carry/deliver. The fight between those competing desires determines the size of the baby. So that is totally dependant upon the random combination of genes at conception. Other factors like diet and exercise during pregnancy are thought to have an impact too.

That's really interesting sammielou, I never knew that

My 1st was 9lb 8.5oz with my 2nd they made me fear he was gonna be a huge baby. The predicted over 10lb he was born at 8lb 1oz! !

That was actually really interesting. I wonder if I push for induction around 38 weeks they will go ahead with it? I also want an induction so I can have the strep b antibiotic incase this baby is born with it aswell as my youngest!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back