Birth Plan Tips...

Zoeox

Reaction score
Right, so I've got to write my own birth plan and haven't upto yet so maybe I'm leaving it a bit late but thinking with the bad weather coming I may go into labour, as its bound to happen when the weather is bad so do any of you lovely ladies have any tips of what too include?
x

well you can say what position u want to give birth in, what drugs if any you want offered or dont want, water birth or not, vit k injection or orally for baby, injection to help with placenta delivery or not, who you want there, if your hypnobirthing or want music etc. basically its your chance to say what medical things you want offered or would consider and how you want it to be in an ideal world.

i recently did mine and included things like pain relief, who i want there, what role i want my husband to play (eg. cutting the cord), what i want if i have to have a c-section ( i want my husband to hold our baby asap if i cannot). There isin't any rules to say what you can and cant put in so i would just start jotting some things down and let it grow from there until you are happy with it.

Have you looked at the NHS Choices template, you might find it useful? xx

Think I will have a nosey on the website.
The midwife isn't writing one with me as I know things will just go with the flow anyway but maybe I need to put in about birth partners and cutting the cord because OH really doesn't want to. x

I'm happy to post mine up if you want to have a nosy as it's all typed up.

Like the other ladies have said, I've included who I want there, what role they will play, what sort of birth I want, pain relief, whether I want to be offered pain relief or want to ask for it myself, whether I want the injection to deliver the placenta, how long I want to hold the LO after birth (1 hour) and what happens if I can't (DH to have skin to skin) and want happens in the case of an emergency c-section.

I think that's everything. I thought about mine and want I'd like but I don't have my heart desperately set on anything as I know it can all go completely out the window!

Ive been really vague with mine!!

Basically only wrote on my notes only me and the hubby to be there (no other family) and hubby wants to cut the cord,

Only reason i aint done more is ive found here where i live they never look at it anyway!!
They havent even glanced at it last 2 times so personally not holding out much hope they will this time!

As a tip tho you could request that afterwards you and oh are left alone for a while to enjoy the moment? xxx

Verity if you wouldn't mind.
I'm having two birthing partners have OH and my mum, unless I end up with a section then just OH.
xx

I have planned as little as possible since I can't predict how my labour will be. I hope I can manage without drugs and I would like to have a bath. Other than that, I'll just see how things are going and developing, and live in the moment..lol!

I mentioned most of the above but also added that I would like DH to act in mine and LO best interest if I was to lose capacity to make decisions e.g effect of drugs etc. I also added a line of what I am scared of for me this a c section just so they know really.
X x

Verity if you wouldn't mind.
I'm having two birthing partners have OH and my mum, unless I end up with a section then just OH.
xx

Here it is hon. Thought I would just explain a couple of things I have in there:
I'm pretty open to all pain relief but just want to ask for it instead of it being suggested simply so that if I feel like I'm coping (no matter what noise I'm making) I don't then suddenly feel bad if the midwife or something thought I needed some relief. Other things like not having the injection to deliver the placenta was not out of choice but simply the policy in the birthing unit here but I have also signed the consent form in my maternity notes to have it if medically needed. The thing I most keen on is the skin-to-skin contact for an hour after birth (obviously only if this is safe to do so) as I never realised until the midwife told me that all their measurements and stuff can wait and skin-to-skin really helps regulate the baby's breathing, temp and heart rate. But this is only if it's safe for the baby iykwim. So here you go hon: Hope you find it useful as a template! xxxxx

VERITY – BIRTH PLAN – EDD 08.02.12

BIRTH CENTRE

This is our first baby and we are looking forward to an active, positive birth. Our preference is to give birth vaginally with as little medical intervention as possible with the full support & encouragement of the midwifery team.
Assuming the birth goes normally I would like my wishes carried out & respected but we are flexible in deviating from the plan if medically necessary. We would like to be consulted on all interventions and informed of the risks/pros/cons. Our main objective is for a healthy baby and a safe delivery.

On Admission
My husband will be supporting me throughout the labour. Please ask my permission first if a student midwife is to be joining us.

1st Stage Labour
I would like to be able to move around freely as much as possible and change position at will throughout my labour. I would like to be able to eat & drink lightly food of my choosing throughout. I would like to use the birth pool once I am in established labour and the option of remaining in it for as long as I wish – and the option of delivering in it.

Monitoring
I would prefer that a hand-held doppler is used, but if continuous fetal monitoring is medically necessary I would still like to be able to assume all mobile positions.

Labour Induction
I do not want to be induced along or hurried with time constraints. As long as baby & I are tolerating the labour please assess our progress rather than the hours. If labour augmentation is necessary please try change of position and other natural methods before breaking my waters.

Pain Relief
I am aware and open to the fact that different pain medications are available to me. I will ask for them if I feel I need to. I am open to using Entonox if I feel I would like to.

2nd Stage Labour
I would like to be free to choose the position in which I give birth, preferably upright. I would like the baby placed directly on my chest immediately after delivery and not removed or taken away for a full hour unless medically necessary.

3rd Stage
If everything goes to plan, I would like to wait for the cord to stop pulsating naturally before cutting it and I do not wish to have the syntometrine injection.
Please offer Scott the opportunity to cut the cord.
I am planning to breastfeed. Please assist me with this as much as possible.
We would like the baby to be given Vitamin K by injection.

In the event of a caesarean section
My husband will accompany me to theatre. ………………will wait with our belongings and meet us in Recovery. Please keep me informed during the section as to what is happening. I would like the baby passed to me immediately after birth and to have skin-to-skin contact as soon as possible. If this is not possible then I would like Scott to hold the baby and have skin to skin.

Last edited:
Thanks Verity, thats a big help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back